To You Weighlifters Out There...

Options

Replies

• samitapio
    samitapio Posts: 3
    Options
    Hello

It all depends on your goals. If you want to add muscle then only do a quick cardio warmup and then do strength training.
    If you are after just losing weight and trying around with weights I would recomend doing whatever feels good for you. If you have energi to do 30min cardio,30min strength training and then 30min cardio then simply do that. I found that the best thing that worked for me was to do strengt training in the morning and cardio in the afternoon. I split them up because you usually use Glykogen doing strength training and low intensity cardio and to get benefits a break inbetween is preferred.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Damn...some of you are not really fanatics. I spend 4-6 hrs at the gym every other day just knocking it out like crazy. But plenty of water is a must. Your blood cells need to transport those nutrients to certain areas of your body as quickly as possible for it to function. Of course if you sweat is good too as it keeps your body cool as well as getting rid of the toxins in your body. Remember to eat the right stuff before working out other wise you'll feel like caca. Of course, remember to eat afterwards too so the body can replenish. Start out slow, and little at a time. I didn't just went straight into 4-6 hours of a workout, that took time when I've started out with baby steps. Yes, I have no life. LOL

I'm not sure you are using those 4-6 hours in the most efficient way....
  • genchan
    genchan Posts: 28
    Options

Maybe or maybe not. I'm going off of one of my co workers who happens to be a retired Marine. I'd wish there is a more better way of cutting it down. I'm trying to do the same thing that he did when he was still in. Not that easy. Since that man has a lot of sheet on his chest during his military service, including being a combat instructor, a drill instructor, having two meritorious promotions as well as being a water survival instructor and many more...this is the guy you don't want to mess with. The workout does include the pool too. Really hate it but gotta do it if I want to try to beat him one day.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

Maybe or maybe not. I'm going off of one of my co workers who happens to be a retired Marine. I'd wish there is a more better way of cutting it down. I'm trying to do the same thing that he did when he was still in. Not that easy. Since that man has a lot of sheet on his chest during his military service, including being a combat instructor, a drill instructor, having two meritorious promotions as well as being a water survival instructor and many more...this is the guy you don't want to mess with. The workout does include the pool too. Really hate it but gotta do it if I want to try to beat him one day.

Stop worrying about trying to one-up someone and focus on what your goals are in the gym.

There is a such a thing as diminishing returns in the gym. 5-6 hours of work is not going to show any more progress than 90 minutes. You might want to cut back and give your body time to heal between gym sessions.

Just an example. I ran and ran and ran, and walked.....4-5 hours a day. My cellulite was out of control bad. Then I started picking up the weights, dropped my total daily exercise down to 90 minutes or less 4 times a week (usually 70 minutes), and the changes in my lower body were huge. I can still walk out the door and run a 5K without getting my heart rate too elevated, so I haven't lost even the littlest bit of cardio health by dumping all the cardio.

You want to look or be like that guy? Work smart, not all freakin' day.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I would recommend 10 mins cardio as a warm up, lift, and then the balance of your cardio after lifting. You lift better fresh.

Tips are drink plenty of water, change up your work outs regularly, and add more weight when you can bang out 3 sets at current weight comfortably.
  • genchan
    Options

Stop worrying about trying to one-up someone and focus on what your goals are in the gym.

There is a such a thing as diminishing returns in the gym. 5-6 hours of work is not going to show any more progress than 90 minutes. You might want to cut back and give your body time to heal between gym sessions.

Just an example. I ran and ran and ran, and walked.....4-5 hours a day. My cellulite was out of control bad. Then I started picking up the weights, dropped my total daily exercise down to 90 minutes or less 4 times a week (usually 70 minutes), and the changes in my lower body were huge. I can still walk out the door and run a 5K without getting my heart rate too elevated, so I haven't lost even the littlest bit of cardio health by dumping all the cardio.

Well, that's my problem. I have a hard time of cutting back because I'm so determine to meet his standards or surpass it. I'm always like that with those who are better than me in certain areas of life. I've just talked to him and he just told me the same thing. To cut it down and just increase reps but when it comes to the pool, there is no resting inbetween sessions. So throughout all of this time, I had been bulking rather than trying to shape it. Hey, if he could do it..so can I!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    We're talking about walking. Walking is fine. Walk for two hours before you work out and two hours after for all I care. It's walking. You'll be fine. I mean, unless you spend the rest of your day on a skateboard or in a wheelchair I imagine you walk a fair amount already. The human body is made to support itself.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Damn...some of you are not really fanatics. I spend 4-6 hrs at the gym every other day just knocking it out like crazy. But plenty of water is a must. Your blood cells need to transport those nutrients to certain areas of your body as quickly as possible for it to function. Of course if you sweat is good too as it keeps your body cool as well as getting rid of the toxins in your body. Remember to eat the right stuff before working out other wise you'll feel like caca. Of course, remember to eat afterwards too so the body can replenish. Start out slow, and little at a time. I didn't just went straight into 4-6 hours of a workout, that took time when I've started out with baby steps. Yes, I have no life. LOL

Worst. Workout plan. Ever.

0/10. Would not recommend
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Well, that's my problem. I have a hard time of cutting back because I'm so determine to meet his standards or surpass it. I'm always like that with those who are better than me in certain areas of life. I've just talked to him and he just told me the same thing. To cut it down and just increase reps but when it comes to the pool, there is no resting inbetween sessions. So throughout all of this time, I had been bulking rather than trying to shape it. Hey, if he could do it..so can I!

And for you - read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1013098-the-10-commandments-of-lean-by-sohee-lee

Work out for yourself not to surpass some ex-Marine.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    How about walking 10 mins, then lifting, then walking again?
    General rule for weight lifting and cardio for fat loss is that you lift first to burn glycogen stores in muscles being worked, then you'll be more liable to burn fat during your cardio. Not to mention you better off having more energy for lifting not less
  • closcar
    closcar Posts: 3
    Options
    I am a 50+ over weight grandma that needs to lose weight and build muscle and also lower all my cholesteral numbers. I have treadmill, stationery bike, dumbells from 2 to 10 lbs, weight bars 10 & 20 lbs, 8 lb weight ball, 10 lb kettle bell, the ball, bands. I was told to start walking and build up to 30 minute fast walk until I can do more. Now to figure out what are the correct exercises and how they are performed correctly and number of exercises/weights/reps which is all confusing for this grandma. I have changed what I eat and removed red meat and pork, milk for almond milk, add whole grain and fish, chicken and turkey along with fresh veggies, berries and some fruit
  • genchan
    Options
    Damn...I'm a dumb ash. LOL
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Splitting a walk like that sounds just fine. I wouldn't *run* for more than 10 minutes or so ahead of a heavy lifting session myself, as you don't want to be fatigued going into it. You want to be as fresh as possible so you can give it everything with good form. But a 30 minute walk sounds great.
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    if you can it's best to do cardio and weights on different days, so you kinda rest different parts of your body on different days and so you can do your full best in both things.
    If you are going to do it on the same day, I wouldn't do 30/30, I would do a short, maybe 10 or 15 warm up, and then do your lift, and do some afterwards, so you can really lift the best you can so you don't hurtself and if you get tired out during the treadmill it's not as...dangerous?
  • genchan
    Options
    And for you - read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1013098-the-10-commandments-of-lean-by-sohee-lee

Work out for yourself not to surpass some ex-Marine.

Well, I've read the commandments and I've broken only the first and seventh. LOL Anyways, I'm changing up my routine. Does working out make me happy? Of course it does as I notice progress overtime. But when I want to be successful in a triathlon and the sport of badminton, I know what I have to work on. Come on, last tournament, my partner and I got beaten by 2 high school kids in the semi finals.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I am a beginner with the weight training. Tips appreciated.

Here is my first question. I like to walk on the treadmill for about an hour each day for reduction purposes. But I want to also lift on those same days. Would it be okay to break walking session in half - walk 30 minutes, do 30 min strength training, and then finish up with 30 minutes walking?

Pros? Cons?

If weightlifters would friend me, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Only do 30 mins instead. All those extra cals from lifting, an hour walking won't be necessary
  • littlelady2b
    littlelady2b Posts: 104
    Options

I just want to add if he motivates you and having the idea of beating him also motivates you then you have given yourself a positive goal whether you reach his years of service may not happen but it doesn't mean you can't become the best that you can be. Let him support and guide you obviously he knows what he's doing. Personally I'd look up to him and let someone like that guide and train me instead of competing with him but whatever works for you just don't let pride get in the way and keep it healthy. Good luck to you
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I am a beginner with the weight training. Tips appreciated.

Here is my first question. I like to walk on the treadmill for about an hour each day for reduction purposes. But I want to also lift on those same days. Would it be okay to break walking session in half - walk 30 minutes, do 30 min strength training, and then finish up with 30 minutes walking?

Pros? Cons?

If weightlifters would friend me, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

If your focus is on lifting that day, then your focus should be on lifting. Do a short amount of cardio to warm up - 10mins or so, then do your lifting routine (I would make it 45 mins - hour) and then do some cardio after if you wish but limit it to about half an hour.

x2 this. Although I do no cardio to warm up I stretch instead. I have changed my routine these days to 45 min lifting and 30 min medium cardio i.e walking with inclines or bike. Super effective.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: bump
  • LA2HA
    LA2HA Posts: 4
    Options
    4-6 hours at the gym is a GREAT example of EXACTLY what NOT TO DO. Do not spend more than 40-70 minutes a day, unless you have a separate cardio session upon waking (best to do with few glycogen stores) or after heavy lifting (same reason), Focus on form, breathing and confidence- Do not use too much weight at first, until you have a little muscle memory of the movements.