Fish for beginners

Options
13»

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I love salmon just about any way anyone wants to cook it. yum. just had some pan fried with a honey bourbon glaze for dinner....oooo yeah....
  • Cryren8972
    Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My favorite simple fish recipe is a salmon dish. I put the salmon in a pan, add a little white wine, and sprinkle with McCormick spicy steak seasoning.
    Turn it on med-low, slap a lid on it, and let it cook until the salmon is fork flaky (will flake when you stick a fork in it).
  • Zebusz
    Zebusz Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    How I cook Tilapia:

Brush Tilapia with small amount of EVOO
    Season with salt & pepper
    Cook on my George Foreman Grill (usually eyeball it but 4-6 minutes)

Usually have a side of veggies or brown rice =)
  • choicewords
    choicewords Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Not a fish lover by nature (full disclosure I love tuna casserole and tuna salad), I've developed a great fondness for Tilapia - oh so not-fishy.

I live alone, so I get the frozen filets, individually vacuum packed. After thawing, I brush them with some sort of butterish substance - usually melted Land O Lakes spread w/canola or olive oil and coat one side liberally with no- or low salt blackened seafood seasong. I coat a skillet with cooking spray, get it smoking hot and throw in the filet, seasoned side down.

Since I'm a heat fanatic, I then add more seasoning to the face up side, flip once or twice - judging by the blackenediness of the surface - and voila! The filets are so thin that by the time you have the surfaces blackened it's undoubtedly cooked through. squeeze a little lemon juice over the fish and...

I also do a less spicy version with very little seasoning, the same skillet routine (maybe not so smoking hot) and then spoon on a small amount of a low-cal sauce I make on the stovetop with frozen or canned (drained) artichoke quarters (not the marinated kind in jars) some fresh, chopped portobello mushrooms, a little diced onion and minced garlic, low fat/low sodium chicken broth and just a tablespoon or so of low fat cream of chicken soup for thickening. If you have a tomato around, you could chop that up and add it to taste. OMG

Sorry I don't have exact measurements - I'm kind of a color-outside-the-lines cook.
  • godds6
    godds6 Posts: 22
    Options
    We love bulk frozen tilapia from a big box store. Individual packaging, so you just throw a few into cold water per instruction. Once they are defrosted (but still cool, about 10-15 mins) they get a coating of olive oil spray and whatever spices needed. I personally love a Cajun spice, but my fiance loves lemon pepper.

Low broil for about 5 mins per side, make sure flesh is white and flaky. Easy as pie protein, usually done in 20 or 30 mins overall.

This is how we cook it took.. especially good on the grill! We spray a bit of olive oil and switch up the spices... My son's fave is the garlic herb seasoning. Another good one is roasted garlic and sea salt (I bought this at Sam's club).
    For the grill I lay a piece of foil on the grill (shiny side up) and put the fish on... Flip half way through (about 3-4 min).
    My son LOVES this and isn't a huge fish fan!
  • JuliesZenpuppy7400
    JuliesZenpuppy7400 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have recently stopped eating chicken (after watching Food Inc.) and am only eating salmon, tilapia and shrimp. I cook all of it in my "George Forman" grill. A little seasoning and it's delicious!!!!
  • lynnkieu
    lynnkieu Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I love to cook with salmon because I grew up in Alaska and we had it fresh all the time.

XSO98y5.jpg?1

To make this dish, I just cooked the salmon fillets in a pan with a little bit of oil and minced garlic so it got a nice crispy outer layer to it. Then I make a thickened Vietnamese Nuoc Cham (Fish Sauce, lemon juice, sugar, garlic, crushed red peppers) glaze and spoon it over the cooked fillets.

KXH5UOh.jpg?1

This fillet was layered with mix of mayo (could substitute Greek yogurt), cheddar cheese, lemon pepper, and lemon juice and baked at 350 for about 25 minutes.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Orange Roughy is among my most favorite fishes. The meat is a beautiful white color; has a fabulous texture and is absolutely delicious! You can cook it most any way you like.

Love, love, love Orange Roughy. It is over fished though and a little pricey these days it seems.

I take Orange Roughy or thicker fillets of Cod and top them with slices lemon, orange or sometimes tomato. I generally add thyme, parsley, salt and pepper. I cook it papillote style in a 350* oven, time frame differs depending on the thickness but just refer to the package. Also check out the package a lot of times they have recipes on them.
  • dreinecke94
    dreinecke94 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Im the only one in my family who likes fish and I have tried to cook it multiple times, but it just turns into a disaster. We stick with shrimp now. Plus they dont like the mildest of fish, cod.
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My husband went fishing in gulf off of Florida last month. We have lots of amber jack and other thick fish. Tonight he backed with tomatoes, capers and potatoes. I want something with spinach. Any suggestions? Thanks!