Need suggestions for healthiest way to lose weight quickly!

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I get it. I'd do it too to save $150!

I'd eat 1400 a day of clean, healthy, unprocessed foods, and exercise 30 minutes a day. And drink a lot of water.
  • Raeontherun
    Raeontherun Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    This has got to be a joke
  • cfriend71
    cfriend71 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have a few ideas. I just lost 29 lbs in 42 days
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Run (if you can't run then do walk/run intervals) or jump rope and do intense strength training (either weights or calithensics like pushups, pullups, burpees, mountain climbers, tricep dips). Work hard! Eat a decent, but not huge deficit and keep your diet as clean as possible. Don't workout for 2 days before weigh in and fast for 12 hours before the weigh in. You might even try a laxative the day before. Wear really light clothing.
  • raylo1313
    raylo1313 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Simple way...
    1. Stay away from processed carbs as they cause you water weight gain and make you feel lousy - then you don't feel like doing any of the below and/or may cause you to eat wrong.
    2. Drink green tea.
    3. Use portion control (ie, eat off a small plate then wait. If you are still hungry, get a little more - don't deprive yourself as you need to eat to lost weight).
    4. And if you are like me and don't like exercising - then walk! Walking has soooo many benefits.
    5. Most important of all, don't wrap your life around food. Eat only to sustain yourself - if you are hungry, eat. If not, don't. Enjoy life!
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Honestly if you are happy with your diet and don't actually want to lose weight, I would go for a low carb / high fat diet for a month. Most of what you lose in first couple of weeks will be fluid but the scales don't care. Many follow a keto type diet for a long time, or life for some people. So although not everyone agrees with cutting out one food group to that extent, it's not gonna do you any damage. But when you eat carbs again and your glycogen stores fill back up the weight will go back up again.

And yeah you could try some of those wrap things, but I guess the idea is you want to save money not spend it lol.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    and the day before weigh in, the Red Cross will be happy to take a pound off...
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    You could always do a colonoscopy prep the day before....that will get you cleaned out and ready for a weigh in.
  • ajcmoran2005
    ajcmoran2005 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    N/M
  • Raeontherun
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is a no no posting this but if it is mods please remove it. I have some friends that bought this diet pill called Thinogenics (it's sold online) and most of them lost about 25 pounds in 30 days. Honestly it had some bad side effects and personally I didn't agree with them taking it and would never use diet pills myself but if you're truly desperate you could try those. I would think that your job is doing this to encourage living a healthy lifestyle so doing a crash diet is obviously the complete opposite of what they are trying to promote. Maybe you could talk to your boss about your situation and tell him/her that you are going to start working out and eating clean and will lose weight the healthy way and see what they say. It couldn't hurt to try!

^^^^^^^^^
    already been reported
  • ajcmoran2005
    Options
    One more thing. I just put in your weight and height in the BMI chart that I use and it said 132 would be 24.9 and 131 would be 24.7. Anything 24.9 and under is considered healthy weight. 128 is 24.2, which is lower than it needs to be from what you are saying. 6 pounds in 30 days is very doable if you want to lose it the healthy way. I just hate seeing people do crash diets because it's really not safe.
  • ajcmoran2005
    Options
    Should I delete it then? I really don't want to get in trouble!
  • Raeontherun
    Options

You won't .... The OP is wanting ideas that MFP is against...... The moderators will make the determination to lock and/or remove the post.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Another thought. If I was close, but went over because of clothes I would appeal. Maybe even bring in a second set of the same clothes in a bag and have them weigh you holding the bag, then without the bag and then reduce that by the difference between the weights.
  • bcattoes
    Options

You won't .... The OP is wanting ideas that MFP is against...... The moderators will make the determination to lock and/or remove the post.

Why in the world would MFP be against it? Can you provide one medical study or recommendation that a one time loss of 10 lbs in 30 days in unhealthy for someone with a high BMI??
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    1200 calories. Workout at least 3 times a week an hour each time.

Watch your macros. Try and eat as clean as possible. Water. And pray for the best.

I agree with this.

No processed foods. They are full of gross crap and tend to make you retain water.

I have PCOS so I lose weight extremely slow. The only thing that has worked for me in all the years I have battled this is clean whole eating. Low (bad) carbs like white pasta, rice and bread. (It does nothing for insulin levels ..pcos makes me insulin resistance). I stay with low glycemic index/load meals and food. I also stick to sugar free. The first month I cleaned up my diet and started a C25k program I lost 8lbs. Which for someone with PCOS is a dream come true.

You will find a lot of people in the clean eating, low carb, whole food groups here on MFP with (even those w/o pcos) who lose a considerable amount of weight by doing nothing more than cutting out processed foods.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    You knew about this last year as you stated they do this every sept, so why wait til now to lose the weight? if you started last sept imagine where you would be now.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    a one time loss wont hurt but how do we know if this person has an eating disorder or not, maybe they are looking for validation for it. That is where the unhealthy part kicks in.
  • DearJuliaG
    DearJuliaG Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I feel like my weight loss has been a constant struggle over the past 2 years. I eat well generally speaking but definitely needed to do better with the amount of vegetables and fruit. I also needed to do more exercise.

So, 2 years ago, I hired a trainer with whom I worked out 3x/week for 1 month doing interval training with cardio, weights and plyometrics. Plus I did two 45-60-minutes sessions on my own time. In that month, without lowering my calories significantly (maybe 150-200/day), I lost 5 pounds...of fat, which came out to about 2%. Five lbs. in a month is great, don't get me wrong, but given I went from like 2 days of moderate exercise to 5 days of medium-high intensity workouts, I was disappointed. There was no way I could keep up that level to achieve my 20 lb. Goal.

I tried the exercise route again to little avail. Sure, I felt better and my muscles were getting toned. But I still wasn't "shedding" pounds. I also tried green coffee bean extract, GLA, CLA, and a whole bunch of other supplements over the 2 year period. Still, very little change and it was temporary...2 lbs. here, 3 lbs. there.

So this time, I am trying something new. I am trying an actual diet...but a nutritionally balanced one. I purchased Dr. Joel Fuhrman's book: Eat to Live" and have been reading through it. Although I disagree with some stuff, like cutting out most animal foods (I think he is a vegetarian, perhaps even Vegan), including fish, meats, dairy and eggs, I agree with the principal of eating nutrient-rich foods and eliminating the intake of non-whole grains and reducing consumption of animal products (for me cheese and beef/pork). It's really a combo of Paleo and the Fuhrman plans.

I started this new plan on June 1st and have decided to practically eliminate grains- even whole grains except for Flax seed just for June - as well as dairy (except for milk in my coffee). On July 1st, I will incorporate grains back into my diet in the form of quinoa, Farro and dark rices, etc., followed by some dairies - Greek yogurt and cottage cheese.

Why, you ask? Well, I want to see if my body reacts differently to each grains as well as dairy. I can only determine this if they are out of my system, and I figure 30 days is a good period for really getting used to the feeling of not eating them.

So, it has been 10 days on this plan (MFP set me at 1400 cal/day for 1.5/week weight loss), and I have lost 3-to-4 pounds, which is amazing to me. The downside? I have been super cranky! The first 5 days was a struggle to eat enough; I didn't have my usual grains and dairy to fill up the 1400 calories. So, I bought more veggies to snack on, and that seemed to do the trick, calorie-wise. I was still feeling sluggish though, so I talked to some people and did some research, and it seems that the consensus was to increase my protein above what MFP recommended given my carb ratios were lower (about 120g-150g vs. the 197 recommendation). So, I added in more lean meats to increase the protein. I also noticed I was not getting nearly enough Potassium, so had to eat even more dark greens and added in some no/low-sodium beans.

I feel as though I have figured out how to put my daily diet together with all of these things. I am feeling better, less cranky and less hungry, and still meeting the calorie and other nutrient goals. On days where I am low on vitamins, I will take a food-based multi-vitamin (half serving usually), and this helps a lot.

So, my overall point here is that it isn't easy to find what works for you. I know people who 'exercise it off' and others who have to 'diet it off'. I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted and exercise it off. Not anymore! Also, it is so important to keep the right amount of nutrients to keep your body functioning at its utmost potential given a reduced-calorie diet. And trying to get those nutrients from food is better than getting them from a vitamin, but either way is better than not getting enough vitamins and minerals.

Good luck to all of you! I really hope I stay on this trajectory throughout the month of June and don't gain it back. I'll keep you posted!
  • bcattoes
    Options
    a one time loss wont hurt but how do we know if this person has an eating disorder or not, maybe they are looking for validation for it. That is where the unhealthy part kicks in.

How do we know you don't have an eating disorder and lie about it. The OP clearly stated her purpose. Assuming she is lying is a poor excuse to declare her plan unhealthy and try to lock the thread.
This discussion has been closed.