have i quit smoking??

Options
2»

Replies

• mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Nearly.....very nearly... but you need to get rid of any level of nicotine first.

I worked with someone who smoked 80 a day (yes, 80 - but that was ewhen smoking was still allowed in offices). When he was warned by the Dr to quit he went on patches - LOADS of patches -but he still said he was "quitting" until he was off them because he knew if he lost his patches he'd rush straight out and buy some smokes.

Here's the test. Suppose you lost your e-cig - would you say "Ok, that's it I won't bother with any nicotine products now" or would you buy another one/patches/gum? If you would buy something, you're still quitting (but I repeat, you're very nearly there so well done and keep going!)

If you would NOT buy anything then congratulations you are an ex-smoker.:happy:
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Who cares what others say!!! Just keep on and drop the rest of the crutches ASAP. 8 months smoke free here!!!
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    You still have the habit of smoking, you just replaced real cigarettes with artificial cigarettes so no, you haven't quit. You're on the right track though so keep trying and get rid of that e-cigarette too.

When I quit smoking the hardest part was quitting the ritual, not the nicotine. The nicotine left in your system is metabolized within 72 hours so any cravings and withdrawals after that point are not physiological, they are purely psychological. The e-cigarette won't do you any favors in this department.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Yes I'd call you an ex smoker but you're still a nicotine addict.
  • Angel03744
    Angel03744 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Best answer by far!!!!
    I would consider this "quitting", not "quit". You are still using a cigarette, even if it is a fake one so you have not broken the habit. You are also still putting nicotine into your body.

so when people use the patch are the still considered smokers?

Yes, because a heroine addict on methadone is still an addict. How about the person who only has a cigarette on social occasions or with a drink? are they a smoker? yes, they are. You're in rehab and there's nothing wrong with that. If you're not honest about your need for the ecig, then, I worry it'd be too easy to think you have it cracked and become one of those "only at Christmas" smokers.

As an ex smoker, I know how hard it is, believe me, but it wasn't until I didn't miss smoking anymore that I truly considered myself an ex smoker.

You are quitting and doing a damn fine job so please be proud of yourself. You need to be honest too. If you still need nicotine, then you're still a smoker. I would say it's time to take the plunge and ditch the e-cig. You can absolutely live without it. If you know in your heart that you're no longer a smoker, then ditch it. I quit cold turkey 10 years ago because I had an epiphany: I didn't need to smoke to be happy, it really was as simple as that. Deep down you know that, so do it today! You've made it 21 days, my god you're almost free!!

I just wanted to add one thing. You're at that stage of quitting where you've gone SO long, and it's been SO hard, and you're SO tired of thinking about smoking aaaaall the tiiiiiime. You want a reward for your pain and your hard work so I think you want the badge of non-smoker (because you can't reward yourself with smoking, which is what smokers want) . I say take the badge (but you have to throw the e-cig in the bin in exchange). I know you can do it, and I think you know you can too xx
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Congratz on making the commitment to quit! I know how hard it can be, I quit over a year ago and every once in a while I will still crave one after a hard day.

As far as the vapor cig, I would start cutting that out as well for the simple fact that a bunch of guys switched to them in my office and they are just as hooked on it as they were the smokes. It is a very helpful tool for weaning off, but don't keep it around for too long.
  • fitinthirteen
    Options
    Ironic to see this- I just posted about my post- quit struggles. I'm 3 1/2 years nicotine/smoke free. I struggled with the nicotine addiction and the oral habit for many years after I actually gave up cigarettes. It's the total loss of the habit that is really the challenge. Not sure if you've found the online help site that aids quitters? It helped me enormously to have online chat dialogue with others going through the process. And no matter what else- stick to your quit!!! It's amazing on the other side of that cloud!!! GOOD LUCK!:flowerforyou:
  • coco3382458
    coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    yes Im so happy not to be smoking cigarettes anymore. My breathing has changed tremedosly in the last 21 days. I remember when I used to smoke and work out a few years ago my lungs would burn so bad, now that does not happen and I love that feeling. I just feel a lot cleaner now and I do not smell stinky and I am not always plotting on how I can go about sneaking in a smoke-(never let my kids see)
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    You still have the habit of smoking, you just replaced real cigarettes with artificial cigarettes so no, you haven't quit. You're on the right track though so keep trying and get rid of that e-cigarette too.

This! I don't think someone has actually quit until they are no longer using any form of nicotine.. but that's my opinion.

Ultimately, what does it matter what other people think? Caring what others think is just a waste of time and energy.
  • coco3382458
    coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
    Options

This! I don't think someone has actually quit until they are no longer using any form of nicotine.. but that's my opinion.

Ultimately, what does it matter what other people think? Caring what others think is just a waste of time and energy.

Its not that I exactly "care" what everyone thinks although I do in a form of a healthy debate