Five foods to NEVER eat....True or False?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Industrialized "new wheat" is not healthy. It is stripped of all the fiber and the hull and is totally differnet than wheat 80 yrs ago. Some people thnk 100 percent whole wheat means healthy not so.

Nonsense. "whole wheat" means that the bran and germ are intact.
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    I always eat wholewheat bread. I don't eat white bread much at all. Now I think what we get as wholemeal over here doesn't have corn syrup in it like in the US. I don't generally eat soy as I prefer meat. I avoid fruit juice and eat fruit so that I'm getting the fibre with the natural sugar.

I eat wholemeal bread, wholewheat pasta, new potatoes, corn and brown rice.

I quite liked a post someone put on FB yesterday saying,

"Being alive gives you an increased risk of cancer."

Just goes to show how much scaremongering there is out there!
  • CupcakesAndRazorblades
    CupcakesAndRazorblades Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I eat all those except margarine and juice... SCREW YO LIST >.<

LMAO!!
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Fruit juice is lots of added sugars, just look at the packet.

Margarine is quite self explanatory, bad bad oils and fats!

Whole wheat bread is controversial, they don't have to use who wheat - they can put in replacements to make the health-requirements meet 'whole wheat' and label it as so (such as ripping the wheat apart, processing it, and throwing some husks back in).

Soy is still 50/50, there is no solid information out there. I tend to only drink full-milk but have tofu and soy based products (Japan is laden with them).
    My 5 foods not to eat are:

Breads
    Pastas
    Potatoes
    Corn
    Rice

:)

yeah only one of those I eat is rice, only 1 day a week now when I get my high carb day :)

Bread/pasta are laden with gluten and for me I get bloating, thirst, headaches, dizziness etc etc so no thank you!

Potatoes are empty calories - I don't see any nutritional value. I would eat sweet potatoes though, many nutrients in there and they don't need any extra flavouring!

Corn is something I don't eat much anyway, but would have it fresh I think - it is so good in Aus at the right time of year, grilled on the BBQ :love: . The GMO thing is confusing as there is misinformation though.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    corn and whole wheat breads got my abs! amazing foods...dump the margarine and juice!
    to get as lean as possible eat lots of..
    Corn Bread pasta rice and potatoes
    Secrets of The centuries
    Best from NYC
    Kristian Rocco
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    If soy caused cancer, Japan would be in big trouble. That is the most soy eating country on the planet, and they have a low occurrence of cancers. They also eat a good bit more margarine than us because butter is scarce. Margarine is about all that you can buy over there for less than 12 bucks a pound. And Japanese love white toast with margarine for breakfast. It has surpassed white rice as the main breakfast food in major cities like Tokyo and Osaka.

I think margarine is evil because it tastes evil.

Corn is good in moderation. I don't eat it that often because it isn't my favorite vegetable/starch/grain.

I love a good whole grain bread. If you're the kind to freak out about it, read the loaf bag. The amount of whole grains and fiber per slice is generally printed on the front of the bags in big numbers and letters.

Concentrated juice doesn't taste as good as fruit or not from concentrate. I rarely drink juice though. Not because it's bad but because I don't care for it.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Concentrated Fruit Juices (Orange Juice, etc.)
    Margarine
    Whole Wheat Bread
    Corn
    Soy

Mine are:
    Mushrooms
    Mushrooms
    Skittles ('cause once I start I can't stop)
    Ice cream (see above)
    Mushrooms
  • NicS69
    NicS69 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm dont understand why it's not good to drink juice. What is wrong with drinking fruit instead of eating? I don't use that crap juice that sits on the shelf instead of the cooler.

I drink Simply Orange or Simply Apple. It's not from concentrate and is pasturized.

Is that better than the others or should I still steer clear? Thanks
  • potatocar
    potatocar Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I sure hope not. I eat tofu every other day and half a can of corn every day. And what the hell is wrong with orange juice |: ?
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I agree with the juice,Margarine and soy! Corn ok as long as its not gm and its not here at the moment ,hope it stays that way!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Concentrated Fruit Juices (Orange Juice, etc.) ~ I would rather use my calories on something less sugary or calorific - like beer
    Margarine ~ I would rather use my calories on something which tastes better - like butter
    Whole Wheat Bread ~ I would rather use my calories on something which is similar - like cake
    Corn ~ I would rather use my calories for a better tasting starch - like potatoes
    Soy ~ I would rather use my calories on just about anything else - that stuff is nasty

So, in conclusion...

what was the question again?
  • Trisha_Williams
    Trisha_Williams Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't use any of these except soya milk, what do you call in moderation?. i use soya milk instead of semi skimmed milk on my cereal if i have them
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    The original post sounds like one of those spammy ads.

5 secrets to lose fat!
    5 food to never eat!
    One strange secret to prone and bone!
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Concentrated Fruit Juices (Orange Juice, etc.) ~ I would rather use my calories on something less sugary or calorific - like beer
    Margarine ~ I would rather use my calories on something which tastes better - like butter
    Whole Wheat Bread ~ I would rather use my calories on something which is similar - like cake
    Corn ~ I would rather use my calories for a better tasting starch - like potatoes
    Soy ~ I would rather use my calories on just about anything else - that stuff is nasty

So, in conclusion...

what was the question again?

:bigsmile:
  • demelzanoo
    demelzanoo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Margarine
    Whole Wheat Bread
    Corn
    Soy

Fruit juice rots your teeth if you drink too much of it, concentrated is crappy sugar filled yuckiness
    Margarine is nasty stuff, full of bad things
    Whole Grain Bread..... in moderation like most things is far batter than white bread... so thats rubbish
    Corn??!!.... really, isnt that a vegetable?!! im sure thats good for you.... unless its referring to Corn Syrup.... thats bad for you
    I have no opinion on Soy... i avoid it cos its icky!

Im sure a more sensible list would be, Refined white sugar, saturated fat, processed food, white bread and ......??????
  • demelzanoo
    demelzanoo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Margarine
    Whole Wheat Bread
    Corn
    Soy

Mine are:
    Mushrooms
    Mushrooms
    Skittles ('cause once I start I can't stop)
    Ice cream (see above)
    Mushrooms

Sprouts... dont forget sprouts.... the devils food!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm dont understand why it's not good to drink juice. What is wrong with drinking fruit instead of eating? I don't use that crap juice that sits on the shelf instead of the cooler.

I drink Simply Orange or Simply Apple. It's not from concentrate and is pasturized.

Is that better than the others or should I still steer clear? Thanks

The difference is that drinking juice instead of eating fruit loses most of the fiber while keeping all of the sugar. From a blood glucose / insulin perspective juice is not much different than drinking any other high sugar drink. From a nutrient perspective it is better than many sugary drinks.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    False. Eat what you want...with an awareness of what it is and what your choices mean. Nothing should be totally off limits...for some ot us that's the surest route to a binge.
  • SID081108
    SID081108 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am always amazed at the arguments on here against food avoidance...like drug addicts trying to justify how good marijuana is for pain relief...whatever. I will stick with modern science.

Eat what you want in moderation, but don't be surprised when you have health issues in the future because the OJ spikes your blood sugar or the soy suppresses your thyroid function...or the trans-fats in the margarine causes colon cancer. These things are not food, but processed crap that society has become addicted to just like drugs and research is showing it is causing all kinds of health issues. Use it at your own peril and don't say you were not warned. Everyone is going to die, but I don't want to die before my time or from any of the above aliments because it is a miserable way to go.

The jury is still out on corn, but I eat it, I love tortilla chips, but they are pretty addicting.

Beets are not nasty...they are amazing. Margarine is nasty. Use organic butter.

YES. Er...except the beets part. Not a big fan.
  • cranium853
    cranium853 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Margarine
    Boiled Okra
    Hummus
    Squid
    Honey. Just can't stand it. In anything. Ever.