Facebook - A step too far?

Options
So I recently trashed my facebook account, the main reason is we live in a teeny town here in the UK and they recently brought out a page called "Spotted". Basically people could give shout outs to random people in my town... It started nice and then became a place for people to slate local companies etc.

I thought this was going down a bad path until they brought out "Rate your shag - (in your local town)".... People send this page a message and they post it anonymously. They justify it's ok because we don't post surnames! But poor AJ from my town is the only AJ here, so of course everyone knew instantly who it was about... An example post was "AJ, sh** shag, learn about women and sort your morning breath out. PS you have a small di** 1/10"

Personally for me this is too far, I reported it and duly trashed my account. We live in a small town so everyone knows everyone's business anyway, do we really need a run down of sexual encounters? I was wondering what everyone else's opinion is on this? Do you think this ok? If so, where would you draw the line?

Replies

• mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I get along fine without Facebook.
    Too much drama, too many people making life changing mistakes, too many people wanting to know everyone's business.
    It models itself to be the world's biggest clique. If you don't join you aren't part of the 'cool kids' club. Yeah, right.
  • nope31
    nope31 Posts: 174
    Options
    I bet if we did that on MFP we'd have a few less members.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    FB is too big
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I would have just deleted the "Spotted" page and carried on.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    What town is is - I'd like to hook up this AJ you speak of
  • FitnessCharl
    FitnessCharl Posts: 166
    Options
    What town is is - I'd like to hook up this AJ you speak of

I think he is in hiding at the mo...
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options

Same. I enjoy my FB and I have no drama there. People on MY FB are my friends and family. You choose who is on there. I just don't understand all the comments people make about how horrible FB is.

Regarding the "spotted" page, that just sounds like it was created to start drama. Why get involved with that?
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options

Same. I enjoy my FB and I have no drama there. People on MY FB are my friends and family. You choose who is on there. I just don't understand all the comments people make about how horrible FB is.

Regarding the "spotted" page, that just sounds like it was created to start drama. Why get involved with that?

I agree, I don't have any apps on there that don't have a value to me, and all my fb friends are real friends or family. No drama
  • FitnessCharl
    FitnessCharl Posts: 166
    Options

It started off quite nice, then when it got nasty I got rid of it. Then saw the "rate your shag" appear on the news feed and just thought - why? I am one of those people who only had friends I actually knew and would say hi to if I saw them in the street, but I just think who monitors these things? I think in trying to be controversial and "the place to be" they allow these sorts of things to be set up, when in fact they are just promoting a form of bullying.
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    Theres some ****ing stupid people on my fb too, but you just have to ignore them..
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options

I have no issues with my Facebook page, either.
  • fionahay
    fionahay Posts: 44
    Options
    That same kind of facebook page was made about my town - Dundee - too, and when they got reported and deleted they re-made a few times. Luckily I think it's gone now.

Dundee isn't the biggest of places either, and people found a lot of the things said on this page hilarious and tagged the people who it was about in the comments. I found it disgusting.
  • d9123
    d9123 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Best decision ever to delete fbook
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I got rid of my FB account after a misunderstanding with family over an auto-post by (none other than) MFP!

The accounts were linked and MFP posted, "Pinkledoodledoo has responded to 'HELP! I hate my husband!' on MyFitnessPal" or some such thing...

Well of course I had my husband's family as "friends" on Facebook and many of them are older folks who know how to use computers but are not necessarily internet savvy... so this auto-post made them think that I posted that I hated MY husband instead of realizing that I was responding to an MFP forum post with that title.

Needless to say I still have people on that side of his family giving me dirty looks... primarily because none of them EVER asked me about it. I heard about it through the grapevine and therefore couldn't even properly defend/explain myself.

And since leaving FB I have discovered who my real friends are - you know, the ones that actually keep in touch outside of FB?
  • misscharleygirl
    misscharleygirl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I got rid of FB when I realized I was spending more time untagging things and deleting things than actually posting. Seemed kind of silly at that point.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I get along fine without Facebook.
    Too much drama, too many people making life changing mistakes, too many people wanting to know everyone's business.
    It models itself to be the world's biggest clique. If you don't join you aren't part of the 'cool kids' club. Yeah, right.

THIS. Deleted facebook a year ago and am so much happier in my life without it.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    FB is too big
    Poor AJ isn't.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I wonder if things would have gone differently if AJ was listed as a 9/10 would bang with a monster peen.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    I have FB. I mostly just use it for event invites. All my friends use it for event invites and get mad if I don't respond, but verbally tell them "yes I will be there". But since it's not on FB, I must not mean it. lol

I do have friends on my FB that I see out, and hang out with but don't have their numbers, so that's my way of keeping in touch with them.
    But I'm so inactive on it, that people have gotten used to texting me invites instead of relying on me EVENTUALLY seeing it on FB.
    I don't have any of the apps, I don't play any of the games, I don't "Like" different pages and companies and stuff because I don't care.

And I have friends who are like, "did you see my pics from this weekend?!" And I always respond with "No." They are like, "but they are on FB!!" And my response is "I'm rarely on FB. I haven't gone through any of your pictures."
  • KnifeThrower89
    Options
    I deleted facebook a long time ago too. I realized that it was a "forever alone" deal. No one ever took interest in my life or anything I had going on and I kept feeling stupid updating something when no one ever commented on anything I ever posted. Damn thing was like a ghost town.

Once I deleted it I was so much happier and was able to devote my time to doing stupid things in the real world like visiting those friends.