bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Personally, I loved Gene Wilder

I had a big crush on him....

Johnny Depp, not so much
  • opalescence
    opalescence Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    There will never be another Willy as awesome as Wilder.

I fell head over heels in :heart: with Haunted Honeymoon. :smooched:
  • Datahorde
    Datahorde Posts: 154
    Options
    Gene Wilder, although 'Deep Roy' who played the Oompa Loompa on the New Movie was brilliant.
    *note he also plays Keenser in the reboot of Star Trek
  • CarolElaine25
    Options
    Gene Wilder, always and forever.

However, the remake did have Christopher Lee in it. I've been a Christopher Lee fan since I was 5, so I can't really hate it. (I wouldn't hate it anyway - I like it more than most people. But not more than the original.)
  • glynda66
    glynda66 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Gene Wilder...BUT I love me some Johnny Deep!
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Gene Wilder will always be the one and only Willy Wonka. That being said, the second version of the movie followed the book more closely than the first...
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Gene Wilder. Love Johnny, but he was kind of creepy in that role.
  • kMcMahan2010
    Options
    Personally...I can't believe this is even a question. Gene Wilder

I thought Johnny Depp played the character as someone who should be a registered sex offender, but got off on some weird technicality.

This 100%

Depp has always reminded me of a pedophile or something. Always gives me the creeps.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    while neither movie was enough like the book for my taste, both stood up as movies on their own. the original willy wonka was my favorite, probably because i watched it as a kid, so gene wilder is my favorite wonka.

johnny depp and tim burton did a good job with the remake, and i thought the character choices johnny depp made were interesting, but even if it had been the first one i had seen, i still would have liked gene wilder better, he was more accessible. he felt warmer to me.
  • Sarah_Roop
    Sarah_Roop Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Definitely Gene Wilder.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    This shouldn't even be a question.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    while neither movie was enough like the book for my taste, both stood up as movies on their own. the original willy wonka was my favorite, probably because i watched it as a kid, so gene wilder is my favorite wonka.

johnny depp and tim burton did a good job with the remake, and i thought the character choices johnny depp made were interesting, but even if it had been the first one i had seen, i still would have liked gene wilder better, he was more accessible. he felt warmer to me.

This 100%
  • kornaco
    kornaco Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    GW!
  • harleydall76
    harleydall76 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Gene Wilder
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Gene Wilder of course.
  • LitaRose77
    LitaRose77 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I love Johnny, he is very talented, but Gene Wilder was the better Wonka. Johnny's take on the character was creepy, which was disappointing for me....
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Gene! Johnny Depp was way to creepy to even watch.
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    I've always disliked the original movie and I am a huge Tim Burton and Johnny Depp fan.
    So I guess my answer is obvious :happy:

I'm the exact opposite. I loved the original and I hate Tim Burton and all he has done. He ruins remakes.

Except Batman. I love Batman and it is too cheesy to hate.

I love Tim Burton's style, but I hate that all of his movies are so similar. I almost never watch his movies because of this. And I think Gene Wilder was the better Willy Wonka. I love how sarcastic he is!