unsupported people

Options
2»

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Everybody around me is so unsupportive of me losing weight.i only have a few people that supports me like my boyfriend, dad, and grandma and also my brother girlfriend.my mom says im too big to ever wear a binkini again that i should wear a one piece swimsuit. If i feel comfortable wearing a binkini i will wear one.i always have and most likely always will.then today i told my best friend i lost 8 ounces she goes what only 8 ounces.it hurts when people say that stuff to me.like im trying to better myself and they are trying to bring me down cause they are overweight.its not my fault that they feel that way.i just wish people around me was more supportive. I get more support on here then i do in person.

that's way more than most people have. the entire world isn't going to throw you a parade every time you decide to better yourself. doing something good for yourself should be enough, but if it's not, stop complaining and be appreciative that you have those four people to hold your hand.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Do it anyway. You don't need anyone's permission to take care of yourself, and wear a bikini when you want to. No one in my life has ever actually supported me in losing weight, which hasn't stopped me.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    It was very motivating for those who didn't support me. Think of their reaction when you are losing the weight and seeing a change no matter how they felt. Its great to have a few supporters instead of none. Keep your chin up and keep and goals in sight:flowerforyou:
  • kookanddra
    kookanddra Posts: 92
    Options
    I think everyone has a few people that are not supportive. They are eigther jelous or insecure about their own weight and don't want to see someone everyday that is bettering themselves. That's why your here on MFP. For the support you need and deserve. You should not be doing this for anyone else anyway so as hard as it may be, ignore them. I ignore my husband every day!!! :laugh:
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Other than on MFP, I don't tell anyone except for my husband about my weight loss or goals. If my mom lived near me, I'd tell her, but that's it.

It seems to me that you really crave the support, but honestly, most people are not supportive. People are opinionated, judgemental, and sometimes jealous.

Your goals are for you, not them.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for almost 3 years with no support except people on this site. My boyfriend is clueless and everyone one else don't give a damn. You can do it.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    The only one who supports my endeavors in real life is my spouse. And I mean he is the only one. I never mention fitness, diet, or exercise to anyone other than him because 9 times out of 10, it is met with snark. My mother never fails to make a jab at me, and my sister whines about her weight every time she sees me, usually within 5 minutes. It upsets me sometimes, but it is what it is.

You really need to be your own support system.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    You need to be doing this for you and only you. Who gives what others think or say. Take the support from those that you have to support you & kick butt and take names if you want it bad enough...if you exercise and eat well, you will wear what you want again confidently. Set small goals.
  • JillianLH
    JillianLH Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    my family is very supportive of me loosing weight but at the same time they are focused on them selves too. I feel like if I loose a lb they have to let me know that its great but that they lost 1.5 lbs!

Only you know what your truly going through. So its hard to expect 100% support all the time. Thats whats great about MFP :)
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Everybody around me is so unsupportive of me losing weight.i only have a few people that supports me like my boyfriend, dad, and grandma and also my brother girlfriend.my mom says im too big to ever wear a binkini again that i should wear a one piece swimsuit. If i feel comfortable wearing a binkini i will wear one.i always have and most likely always will.then today i told my best friend i lost 8 ounces she goes what only 8 ounces.it hurts when people say that stuff to me.like im trying to better myself and they are trying to bring me down cause they are overweight.its not my fault that they feel that way.i just wish people around me was more supportive. I get more support on here then i do in person.

Just wait until you actually lose weight and actually feel good about yourself. Then the jealousy comments start rolling in. You do what you do and leave the rest on their own
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options

This is my saying: when the doctor said push, I was the only one that came out. When I started my weight loss journey in February I decided my first priority was going to be about me. I have been trying to lose weight for a very long time, never reached my goal due to negative vibes. Unless you are prepared to switch off from such negativity, you are not going to get any where.

I had a friend tell me the other day: all you seem to be interested now is your weight loss, well you know what, if I am not interested who else will be, definitely not you.

Grow a spine, focus on you; just picture yourself in that bikini or sexy dress (or whatever) and imagine how the faces of negativity will look. Misery likes company, takes yourself out of it and you will succeed, otherwise you will find yourself as miserable or even more miserable than the people who are making your life hell. You also need to make this about you, not your boyfriend, family etc, - irrespective of how supportive they are.
  • krc99080
    krc99080 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    The simple truth is like many other posters said is this has to be done for you. While it's great to have supportive people in your life those are just a bonus. You are the only one who can truly make the changes. I'd bet those who aren't supportive are somewhat jealous of your decision and what you've accomplished.

Ultimately you have to do this for you and not someone else, otherwise you'll fail.