4.5mph is WALKING? Really?

Options

Replies

• timjai
    timjai Posts: 113
    Options
    I can average a tiny amount of 4mph.... can't imagine walking any faster without breaking out in a jog!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You can totally add it to the database.
    That's what I did for some of the intermediate speeds.
  • JenniLisette
    Options
    That sounds like a jog rather than a run. I would say 6 mph is running?

yes....my trainer says the same 1-4 is walking, 4.5-6 jogging, and thing more is running..altho wen im at 4.5 i am heavey jogging so i put it in as 5 mph! :flowerforyou:
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

For someone like me with extremely short legs, 4.5 is a fast jog. I'm outright running by the time I get to 5.0. My poor stubby legs struggle at 6.0.
  • amc2509
    amc2509 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    OK, so this is the article I was referring to... It's at 5mph that the burn for walking is more than jogging... Imagine walking at 5mph OMG!!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/247593-calories-running-versus-walking?hl=Energy+Expenditure+of+Walking+and+Running#posts-3270299
  • lindawayne11
    lindawayne11 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Sounds like its geared more for men then women. I slow jog (warm-up) at 4.5 and jog my max at 5.0. My hubby jogs at about 6 and is at a fast, comfortable walk at 4.5.
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I can walk at about 4.5 when I'm hurrying,definitely not jogging or I'd go about it a different way. Anything above that though and I'd have to break into a really light jog. Can get up to about 8 when I'm running comfortably so that's about right I think. 4 walk, 6 jog, 8 run for me (7 feels like it's a bit in the middle, don't like it!)
  • maddiedog22
    maddiedog22 Posts: 116
    Options
    Im 5'2 and I walk 4.5 but when I run it's at a 6.5. It is possible to walk 4.5
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Im 5'2 and I walk 4.5 but when I run it's at a 6.5. It is possible to walk 4.5

4.5 miles per hour, or km per hour?
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I think it has so much to do with leg length and stride distance. I am 5'9" with REALLY long legs, so for me, I can "walk" up to 5.2 mph before I have to classify it as a jog. If it feels like a jog, treat it like a jog. I would get a HRM and use that. It is WAAAAY more accurate anyway. MFP tends to overestimate calories burned in my case.
  • maddiedog22
    maddiedog22 Posts: 116
    Options
    Yes mph!
  • RoosterB
    RoosterB Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 foot with 33inch inside leg. Went for what I would call a fast walk yesterday. Ok some was uphill, but averaged 3.8mph.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Everything faster than a walk is running, and whatever speed that is is relative to the runner. Both feet leave the ground? You're running :smile:
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I always thought that when speed walkers have both feet off the ground it is classed as running and they are disqualified?

Don't let words get you down. YOU know you're running and that's all that matters.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Everything faster than a walk is running, and whatever speed that is is relative to the runner. Both feet leave the ground? You're running :smile:

^^^^ Exactly!

If one foot is always in contact with the ground you're walking, if both feet leave the ground you're running. Personally, I think the term "jogging" should be banished as it creates confusion.

FWIW I was walking on my treadmill yesterday and my stubby little legs were quite happy starting at 4.0 MPH and finishing at 4.4 MPH. On my running days my pace is dependent on what my training goal is that day, for example today I'll be going 5km and my planned pace is 5:36 min / km (or just under 9 min/mile) for my long slow distance runs I'll target 6:30 to 6:45 min/km (getting closer to 11 min miles).
  • amansunder
    Options
    I fair at an average speed of 4.5mph for a 6mile run with max speeds at 7mph. It's definitely not walking.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I've got fairly short legs and a longer torso. I can walk at a fairly steady pace at 2.5 or a 24 minute mile. I wouldn't call it a leisurely stroll, but that's how I track it when I go for a walk since I know the time. 3 is quite brisk on the tread mill and getting close to 4 requires jogging/ running. Actually....over 3.5 is a light "jog". So I think it's really a personal thing. It may not be a fast run, but it's definitely not walking for me.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Well, I would have agreed with you a month ago. A month ago, the fastest I could walk was 3mph and even that was hard.

I went on a walk the other day and was averaging 4 mph. I'm 5'4.5", so not particularly tall, but my fitness is defiantly improving.
  • mattdsoares
    Options
    Walking vs running is largely semantics and everyone you ask will have a different definition as there really is little standard idea of what jogging is. Some will say it is a pace between walking and running. Others look more to the intent of what you are doing.

For example, many people say jogging is running at a slow or leisurely pace. Well slow or leisurely is very subjective. For me in week 5 of c25k weighing close to 300 lbs, running at 7.5kph or 4.6mph is my normal speed. There is not much leisurely about it, I assure you. So is that jogging? For Mo Farrah 4.5mph would indeed be leisurely. For some people on this forum that's their brisk walk. But for me, it is not. This is the biggest problem with trying to apply limits or milestones to determine between jogging and running. One person's jog is another's run. Mo Farrah running 4.5 mph would be worthless. He's hardly burn any calories or work up a sweat. He'd be lucky if his heart rate went up at all. But for me that is a damn good workout.

Another interesting definition is based on your intentions.. If you're running to win a race, set a specific time, have a certain speed, then you're running. It's more technical and focused more of the sport or competitive aspects. Jogging is more recreational. You're doing it to stay in shape, keep your heart pumping etc. You're not as concerned with times or speed, though you may work on those things for your own betterment, but not to win anything. You enter a 5K as a personal goal or because you find it fun. Not to win. Jogging is more casual in it's approach this definition. It's like playing a pickup game of basketball a few times a week with friends as opposed to playing in an organized men's league. In both cases you're still playing basketball, but your intentions and focus are different.

Either way, jogging IS running. That much cannot be disputed. Whether it is running at an easy pace, or running for exercise and personal enjoyment, it is still running. Thus, personally I have little use for the word jog. I think it devalues what I'm doing. Rightly or wrongly most people associate jog with "easy" or "light". I'm pushing myself to my limits and often past them. There is nothing light, easy, casual, or leisurely about what I'm doing. Thus I don't even use the word jog to talk about my program. "I'm going for a run", or "I've started running".
  • battyg13
    battyg13 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I do an uphill walk at 4.0 mph. i dont ever find myself breaking into a jog but everyone is different.