I'm SO shocked...Right now...Doctor?!

Options
Hi,

Many people have been criticizing my diet, I have an ED, but now i am getting much better. However, today i finally mustered up the courage to see the doctor (been saving for a while because I didnt have insurance). Didn't tell my parents (from where i come from, there is no such thing as an "ED") They won't think I'm lying, they might just think it is an act, i don't know, regardless, I had the money, saw a doctor, and this happened:

I told her about my bad relationship with food, sometimes eating below 500 calories, always less than 1,2k cals, and told her a day or two ago i consumed 107 only, and she nodded her head, told me it was "okay". With a smile. I am so confused, but it's so shocking? She was certified, I am just so shocked?

Replies

• brillmer
    brillmer Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Hi,

First of all I want to congratulate you on taking the first few steps.. Which is not only admitting you have a problem - but actually allowing yourself to be vulnerable enough to open up to a stranger tell them your problem. That's very commendable, and the first step to success - so you should be proud of yourself!

That couldn't have been all she said?

Did she discuss what to do in the future? Developing an eating log and increasing your calories slowly? Discussing what developed your eating issues or anything!?!?

There is no way that's okay. You know it..
  • chollands29
    chollands29 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    it seems counter intuitive but just like interviewing someone for any kind of job you do need to interview your doctor or your therapist as well! If they don't sound like they know what they are talking about go see someone else!

I can't stress how important this is. I had some back problems and had to see 4 different physical therapists before I could find someone who could help me. And now my back is fully recovered. The first person just told me to work out more and that would magically fix it (no). You need to be proactive about your own health, which it looks like you are doing. Keep at it until you find a doctor as committed to your health as you are.
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    it seems counter intuitive but just like interviewing someone for any kind of job you do need to interview your doctor or your therapist as well! If they don't sound like they know what they are talking about go see someone else!

I can't stress how important this is. I had some back problems and had to see 4 different physical therapists before I could find someone who could help me. And now my back is fully recovered. The first person just told me to work out more and that would magically fix it (no). You need to be proactive about your own health, which it looks like you are doing. Keep at it until you find a doctor as committed to your health as you are.

lol I once had a doctor tell me that the low blood sugar episodes I was having were migraines without the headaches...thankfully I knew that was not the case

it is true that not every doctor is a great doctor

is it possible that the doctor was trying to be supportive? ie "That's okay that you slipped and ate less than you should , but it is good that you recognize it isn't healthy and we need to make a plan going forward for how to deal with the ED?"
  • j724mecham
    j724mecham Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Unless she provided more information like "Okay. Let's work together and establish the best goal for you." then that certainly is an issue. By viewing your diary, I do think you have your ups and downs. Some days are very balanced around 900-1000 calories and then the one with only 107. This is a cause for concern. Please know that we are here to support you. However, the correct step is to see a doctor. Please feel free to reach out in the mean time for assistance.
  • ElizabethLovesFood
    ElizabethLovesFood Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    all doctors are the same only there for money..off topic but if there was a decent doctore around i wouldve been able to give birth..screw healthcare..we are no moe than a cow in the herd...good luck n props for tryinh to get help
  • dfreddie
    dfreddie Posts: 8
    Options
    First, congrats on taking the 1st step. That's half the battle.

This doctor needs to refer you to at least a dietitian. They can help you set up a healthy eating plan and go through things with you. Not all docs are horrible, not all are great. But, you need further help than just a nice nod and an okay. Blood work should also be done to make sure you're not anemic or have low vitamin levels that need to be addressed as well, among other issues. Starving yourself can cause lots of issues, as you obviously know, so lots more needed to take place at that visit. You should NOT be charged for what you received yesterday, and personally I would call the clinic manager and speak to them about it and get back to see another more qualified physician.

Good luck!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    What kind of doctor was it? Most doctors are not trained in nutrition.
    I think you'd be better seeing a therapist, expert in ED, to understand and deal/treat your behavior.
    Good luck! You should be proud of you for admitting that you have a problem and want to change your life. :flowerforyou:
  • LindsayLL30
    LindsayLL30 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Your from CANADA, why did you need to save money?? Doctors are free....??? And I would suggest if that's really what happened you find another one
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Your doctor may not have known what to say. ED's are hard to manage on your own, but at least you've taken the first step, and admitted you have one. If you'd like to talk, you can message me. Good luck!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Your doctor may not have known what to say. ED's are hard to manage on your own, but at least you've taken the first step, and admitted you have one.
    Yes. Good for you for having the courage to get help!

If you don't mind me asking, what else did the doctor say/suggest? You obviously don't have to answer. I'm just wondering if she was trying to convey more that You are/will be okay, and you aren't "damaged" because a lot of people with ED feel like they are bad people for it.
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    If you live In Mississauga, you should be covered by OHIP. you don't need to pay for a doctor. I would suggest you see someone else.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Your from CANADA, why did you need to save money?? Doctors are free....??? And I would suggest if that's really what happened you find another one

Game changer - I didn't read where you are from.
    Why don't you have provincial coverage? Did you just move there?

*ETA - Call your doctor and ask for a referral or find another doctor if you aren't happy with the one you have
  • ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    She was certifiable

fixed that

I would ask for a refund - she obviously has no knowledge or experience on how to help someone with an ED.

ETA - Wait, WUT? You don't have to pay, or need insurance, to see a Doctor here in Canada. What kind of doctor was this?!?
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    What kind of doctor was it? Most doctors are not trained in nutrition.
    I think you'd be better seeing a therapist, expert in ED, to understand and deal/treat your behavior.
    Good luck! You should be proud of you for admitting that you have a problem and want to change your life. :flowerforyou:

What she said. I applaud you for coming out, talking about your problem and trying to fix it.
  • brillmer
    Options
    She was certifiable

fixed that

I would ask for a refund - she obviously has no knowledge or experience on how to help someone with an ED.

ETA - Wait, WUT? You don't have to pay, or need insurance, to see a Doctor here in Canada. What kind of doctor was this?!?

Dieticians and nutritionists are not covered by OHIP, unless you have diabetes or some sort of medical problem.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    eva,

i just wanted to say i think you are BEAUTIFUL, i've seen you around before and creepily checked out your photos and thought "i hate being a generic white girl!". please know people look at you and go hot damn, she is gorgeous! cause that's what i did.

that is all!
  • brillmer
    Options
    eva,

i just wanted to say i think you are BEAUTIFUL, i've seen you around before and creepily checked out your photos and thought "i hate being a generic white girl!". please know people look at you and go hot damn, she is gorgeous! cause that's what i did.

that is all!

She certainly is. One of the most beautiful girls I have ever seen to be honest. Wish she saw what we all saw!
  • fallingken
    fallingken Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You know they call the person who graduates last in school class Doctor too right?
    Keep looking for a good dietician at least, and take care of yourself. Good luck
  • AlphaFattyThigh
    Options
    Since this was your first visit with the Doctor, I expect that she was simply information gathering at this point to establish a foundation of who you are, where you're at with nutrition, etc. While she may have smiled and said "Okay", I'm hopeful the okay was simply an acknowledgement of hearing what you have said, and the smile an expression of empathy for you while she took note of your history with calorie intake. The smile may even be an expression of happiness that you acknowledge ED, acknowledgement of an ED is half the battle which you've clearly already won and exceeded by taking the initiative to seek out professional assistance. That alone is a HUGE accomplishment in and of itself, I hope you're proud. I'm proud of you and I don't even know you! :)

If only for peace of mind, I would encourage you to reach out to this Physician for additional clarification. It's quite possible this was a misunderstanding so I wouldn't write off this experience just yet. Give her a chance to show you how she can help, she may surprise you.

Take Care,
    Robin
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    For the other posters: Maybe OP is from Canada but currently living in the States?

For the OP: Anyway, I've seen my share of idiot doctors, and I've known a few great ones. Doctors are just like everyone else. There are bad apples in every bunch. If she REALLY thought that your disordered eating was just fine, then she's one of the idiot doctors. See a therapist that specializes in eating disorders instead.