Five foods to NEVER eat....True or False?

1235»

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    If soy caused cancer, Japan would be in big trouble. That is the most soy eating country on the planet, and they have a low occurrence of cancers. They also eat a good bit more margarine than us because butter is scarce. Margarine is about all that you can buy over there for less than 12 bucks a pound. And Japanese love white toast with margarine for breakfast. It has surpassed white rice as the main breakfast food in major cities like Tokyo and Osaka.

I think margarine is evil because it tastes evil.

Corn is good in moderation. I don't eat it that often because it isn't my favorite vegetable/starch/grain.

I love a good whole grain bread. If you're the kind to freak out about it, read the loaf bag. The amount of whole grains and fiber per slice is generally printed on the front of the bags in big numbers and letters.

Concentrated juice doesn't taste as good as fruit or not from concentrate. I rarely drink juice though. Not because it's bad but because I don't care for it.

Hahahaha, the Japanese also eat a boat load of fish and eggs. Their soy consumption is higher than in most western countries but it's used as a condiment or a snack. Tokyo and Osaka aren't the entirety of Japan, those two cities don't accurately reflect the population's eating habits.
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    I don't drink juice unless I want to take a nap. That stuff knocks me out.

It's not the juice, it's the extra liquid you add to it.

That makes sense. You can't make ice cubes out of vodka.

Margarine is horrible.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    The margarine would depend...a lot of margarine is made with hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils = trans fats = ****. Everything else is just fine IMHO.
  • 1HappyTurtleRunner
    1HappyTurtleRunner Posts: 125 Member
    I was wondering the same thing whether it was true or false, but there really is only one thing on the list that we have in our house. My daughter is lactose sensitive so we drink either soy or almond milk, mostly soy though.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    I am always amazed at the arguments on here against food avoidance...like drug addicts trying to justify how good marijuana is for pain relief...whatever. I will stick with modern science.

Eat what you want in moderation, but don't be surprised when you have health issues in the future because the OJ spikes your blood sugar or the soy suppresses your thyroid function...or the trans-fats in the margarine causes colon cancer. These things are not food, but processed crap that society has become addicted to just like drugs and research is showing it is causing all kinds of health issues. Use it at your own peril and don't say you were not warned. Everyone is going to die, but I don't want to die before my time or from any of the above aliments because it is a miserable way to go.

The jury is still out on corn, but I eat it, I love tortilla chips, but they are pretty addicting.

Beets are not nasty...they are amazing. Margarine is nasty. Use organic butter.

Where is the "modern science" in this post?
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    false. Be careful of which wheat bread to eat... if it starts out saying enriched, bleached or something like that then it lacks the nutritional value of true whole wheat breads. Most commercialized foods are laden with additives to improve shelf life and make a profit, anyway. Processed chicken, etc. All things in moderation.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Corn killed the mayans..

nom saiyen?
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Unfermented soy is chocked full of estrogen. A cup of soy milk has as much estrogen as three birth control pills. I don't need a stroke, so I don't eat soy. (I have basal migraines. extra hormones of any kind are my bane.) Also, I think that much estrogen can't be good for children who are developing. Fermented soy (like soy sauce) is fine.

I am allergic to oranges and thus avoid most juices that are not 100% a certain kind of juice. 'Natural flavors' in fruit flavored things generally means 'orange concentrate'.

I have substituted corn tortillas for bread for a month now and will never go back. They're cheap, much lower in calories and have 1/4 of the sodium.

Margarine is evil, butter is win.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Really? Corn? Everything made of corn?
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Fruit juice = sugar.
    Margarine = eww.

Whole wheat bread = screw you & the horse you rode in on. I eat whole wheat bread everyday. Nothing will change that.

Soy = GMO :grumble:
    Corn = GMO :grumble:
  • ksuetorres
    ksuetorres Posts: 139 Member
    Juices have all the good stuff filtered out and lots of added sugar; margarine is full of trans fats, which you should never eat. All the others -- in moderation, like anything else!
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 687 Member
    I eat all of those except the fruit juice
  • ksuetorres
    ksuetorres Posts: 139 Member
    I have substituted corn tortillas for bread for a month now and will never go back. They're cheap, much lower in calories and have 1/4 of the sodium.

What kind of tortillas do you buy? All the corn tortillas I see have about 100 calories each, which is way more than most bread.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    I eat all those except margarine and juice... SCREW YO LIST >.<

I'm with this!
  • christinawoods94
    christinawoods94 Posts: 2 Member
    lol - thanks!
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Just goes to show how UNAWARE people are about genetically modified foods and how they are PROVEN to cause tumors, burst red blood cells, and cause cancer. But hey, who am I to try and dilute the gene pool by rescuing such people?

TRUE, by the way. Especially corn, soy, and margarine, which is usually these days made with canola, another GMO. The only way you can avoid GMO's is by buying certified organic.

I also am gluten sensitive and eat corn. But no GMO's.

Do you have a credible source for the part where GMO's are proven to cause tumours, burst red blood cells, and cancer?
    Just because a food is genetically modified, it does mean it is "bad". GMOs can help produce a large amount of food and help people who have little access to food.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Do you know why corn is the best vegetable????

It's the only one you can eat twice!!
  • fastfoodv
    fastfoodv Posts: 41
    The answers are mostly false. But there can be caveats. For example, juice isn’t the best choice as it can be high in sugar and calories and lacks fiber. The whole fruit is the better choice. Margarine is okay as long as it’s of the trans fat free variety. Whole wheat bread is a great choice unless you have gluten sensitivity. Corn is okay but it’s a starchy veggie, so it should only take up a quarter of the plate. Half of the cob is a serving size. Soy products are typically okay for most, but people with certain cancers are sometimes told to limit/avoid it.

Visit Lisa Tillinger Johansen at www.consultthedietician.com at www.fastfoodvindication.com, on Facebook at Lisa Tillinger Johansen and on Twitter @LisaTJohansen
  • Melnjoku
    Melnjoku Posts: 11 Member
    So true:)