THE answers to THE questions

Options

Replies

• jallott1976
    Options
    why should i eat my exercise calories? I have lost 70lbs over the last two years - i want to ideally lose another 20-28 lbs..... i exercise a lot, I play ladies football (soccer) once a week and we train twice a week. I walk my two dogs for at least an hour a day, and I manage to hit the gym at least three times a week.

The weight should surely be flooding off me but isn't. I have now joined MFP as it was recommended by a friend - i am cutting down on carbs (not completely out) as i feel my diet is too carb heavy.

Not sure what else I have to do, but one thing i know is I can't exercise any more than I am doing.............................. can anyone offer any sound advice?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    why should i eat my exercise calories? I have lost 70lbs over the last two years - i want to ideally lose another 20-28 lbs..... i exercise a lot, I play ladies football (soccer) once a week and we train twice a week. I walk my two dogs for at least an hour a day, and I manage to hit the gym at least three times a week.

The weight should surely be flooding off me but isn't. I have now joined MFP as it was recommended by a friend - i am cutting down on carbs (not completely out) as i feel my diet is too carb heavy.

Not sure what else I have to do, but one thing i know is I can't exercise any more than I am doing.............................. can anyone offer any sound advice?

weight loss is primarily about how you eat, not how you exercise, exercise is a catalyst, not the determinant. You could exercise all day, but if you eat more calories than you burn, you're still going to gain weight.

We tell people to eat their exercise calories on My Fitness Pal, because the site already creates a deficit for you, which will allow you to lose a preset amount of weight safely and in a healthy manner, exercise calories would increase that deficit, we don't want that as it can lead not only to inconsistent loss, but also, given time, to possible health risks.
  • TTabour
    TTabour Posts: 13
    Options
    Here is my dilemma. I gained 3 lbs while being under my daily calorie goal nearly every day, in he past 7 days, due to exercise calories. Some days I was under even without exercising (walking at a fast pace).
    The conundrum is this, if i eat the calories i gain through exercise what kind of foods should I be eating. Just more of the low fat foods on my diet or something else. I have been at this yo yo diet for most of my life. i am tryng to change my life style eating and am confused by all the data I read, as much of it conflicts with eachother.

We all know metabolism is a real enemy to wieght loss and is not really understood well, by the science I read let alone us lay people.

FYI
    1270 calories alowed daily for 2 lbs per week weight loss
    Walking at a fast pace 5-6 times a weeky 40-70 minutes =300-550 calories burned.

i have been using MFP since mid March and lost 26lbs then gained back 3 lbs last week Gained weight was not a result of increased food consumtpion, acutally the reverse is true.
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    great post!!!
  • NewImprovedCnbethea1
    Options
    Okay someone please help I get the whole eat your exercise calories and everything but I am still confused so my question is your BMR is the basic calories you need to normally function on a day to day basis and maintain well if I didn't work out I would subtract 500 from that number and create the deficit I need to lose weight right?

Well I am asking because on MFP mines was 1432 cal and I subtract 500 I would get 932 okay then if I go and workout and burn 500 calories then I should eat 1432 and I should still see the loss because I have a deficit in there right?

So I am wondering why MFP starts me off at 1200 calories each day if my BMR was 1432 it didn't give me the full deficit or am I doing it wrong?
  • NewImprovedCnbethea1
    Options
    Okay someone please help I get the whole eat your exercise calories and everything but I am still confused so my question is your BMR is the basic calories you need to normally function on a day to day basis and maintain well if I didn't work out I would subtract 500 from that number and create the deficit I need to lose weight right?

Well I am asking because on MFP mines was 1432 cal and I subtract 500 I would get 932 okay then if I go and workout and burn 500 calories then I should eat 1432 and I should still see the loss because I have a deficit in there right?

So I am wondering why MFP starts me off at 1200 calories each day if my BMR was 1432 it didn't give me the full deficit or am I doing it wrong?
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is the number of calories your body needs to lie still and do "nothing" except keep your organs functioning. So if you were to lay in bed allll day, exerting ZERO energy, your body would use 1432 calories just to keep your lungs going, your kidneys working, your eyes blinking, your blood circulating, etc. So the second you sit up and get out of that bed, you are burning calories. By the time youve walked to the bathroom, washed your face, brushed your teeth, and stepped on the scale, you've already burned calories and eaten away at that 1432 your body needed to be still in bed.

So if you are burning 500 calories while exercising, then you need to eat those back in order to give your body the nourishment it needs to continue functioning and burning fat. If your body needs those 1432 calories, and then you go an burn 500 of them, you are only giving your body 932 calories...and it needs 1432 just to keep your blood going!

I didnt understand this entirely either, and was frustrated that MFP would start my caloires at 1200, but as ViviaKay and so many other patient, experienced MFPers have explained over and over again, 1200 cals is just like "an industry standard" that does have some scientific merit, but is certainly not THE magic number.

I hope this helped explain a little bit. I was eating 1200 cals, exercising, and not losing ANY weight. Then I read this thread and seen results. Good Luck!
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    PS do NOT subract 500 cals from your BMR in order to create the deficit to lose weight. By simply sitting up and getting out of bed, you are creating a deficit. At a MINIMUM you need to eat those 1432 cals. everyday, whether you work out or not. If you work out, you need to eat back those calories, too.
    If you eat 1432 calories, you will lose weight and keep it off. If you work out, you get to eat more, as youve "earned" those extra calories, and it will help you lose faster and help keep your metabolism funtioning properly.
    If you subtract 500 calories from your BMR, you are not giving your body the fuel it needs.
  • NewImprovedCnbethea1
    Options
    Thanks for the info and sorry for the double post!!
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Thank you! definitely helps!! :happy:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    bumping
  • Irishaingeal
    Options
    Great post as I was wondering about those exercise calories to. I knew I had to eat them, but wasn't sure if I had to eat them all. I will give it a shot and try to eat all of my calories a day. It just looks like so much food to me and i hardly ever eat that much on my work out days. But thanks so much for the time to help us all.

Go raibh maith agat
  • georgette70
    georgette70 Posts: 158
    Options
    *bump* :smile:
  • Unicornlover
    Unicornlover Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Another helpful post! :flowerforyou:
  • Kamila02
    Kamila02 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lesleybritton
    Options
    This is FAB!
  • miss_amy
    miss_amy Posts: 351
    Options
    this is such a great thread. i think it's been burned in all of our brains that to lose weight we need to cut calories (sometimes drastic) and like everyone else, i've tried it in the past and seen little results. i will be eating the calories MFP tells me from now on (including exercise calories)! thanks for all of the info!

also, i can't believe how much i am able to eat. i feel like i'm cheating everyday, but i've lost 6lbs so far! :)
  • MamaRandall
    MamaRandall Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    GREAT POST!!! thanks
  • zippy111
    zippy111 Posts: 2,241 Member
    Options
    tag
  • caroeden
    caroeden Posts: 31
    Options
    This is such great information! Thanks!!