365 days' logging today.

Options
sheldonz42
sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
So, 1 year ago today I heard about and downloaded the MFP app for my phone. I have managed to lose well over 50 lbs., but still have about 80 to go. ALL I have done so far is eat what I want and log what I eat, trying to stay under my calorie goal. So far, it seems to be working for me. I have had a couple of plateaus over the last year, but seem to have managed to break them both (one was very recent). My only regular exercise is playing with my children. I have the nerve to log house cleaning and similar activities as they are not things I do on a daily basis, and I eat back the calories. Perhaps that has slowed by progress, but I am progressing, so that seems to be working for me as well. At my age, I think slow loss is extra important anyhow.

Replies

• brian1383
    brian1383 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You're proof positive that consistency is key! You probably could have lost more and quicker -- but likely would have crashed and burned out doing it.

I was doing the "fast and furious" method and it was burning me out. I've switched to your way and it's easier (albeit a bit slower) and I can sustain it.

Good work, Sir!
  • sheldonz42
    Options
    I agree that this is definitely sustainable. Congratulations to you on your progress as well!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    GREAT
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    You know, people often discount housework as exercise...but when you're dripping sweat 4 hours later...trust me, it's exercise...:D

I clean my apt. once a week from floor to ceiling and my laundry machine is in the basement while I'm on the second floor. In the summer, I hang my cloths on the line and whoever installed that line was over 6' tall easy because I have to stretch like hell to reach it. By the time I'm done cloths hanging, I actually have to take a break and try to relax my screaming arm muscles (I have fibromyalgia which doesn't help). I also have a huge water bottle within reach because otherwise I get dehydrated...:) With two older cats about, my little apt. gets pretty awful in a week!

Good for you and keep it up!
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Great job! 50lbs is awesome!!!
  • sheldonz42
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words, all!
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Dripping sweat from housework?? Good grief.... I didn't know such a thing was POSSIBLE. I must be doing it wrong :)
  • NHoughton13
    NHoughton13 Posts: 303
    Options
    As the ol' saying goes, "Look for progress, not perfection." It's working for you and you're making progress. I'd mark that as a win. :drinker: Great job!
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I wish that worked for me because like a lot of people, sometimes it's so hard to fit in a good workout.

I'm almost 48, female, and had a hysterectomy about 2 1/2 years ago. I was already slowly gaining weight over the last 10 years, but once I had the hysterectomy the weight came on fast and furious! If I don't work out consistently, I will not lose a pound.

Either way, congratulations! 50 lb's is a great accomplishment!!
  • melissahannah91
    melissahannah91 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Everything you do adds up, just keep moving and playing with children is not only good for you body but good for you mentally...!!! Great job....
  • sheldonz42
    Options
    Thanks to more for the kind words!
  • misifer
    misifer Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Great job! 1lb/week is a great loss and slow and steady wins the race. I keep reminding myself that slow is better because it's teaching and reinforcing better eating habits. You should be very proud of your accomplishments in just a year!

And I used to log cleaning too...it's exercise, so log it!
  • pamklass
    pamklass Posts: 17
    Options
    Such a great attitude and accomplishment! Keep it up!
  • ladylemoncurd
    Options
    Well done you - that's briliant work you must feel so much better
  • sheldonz42
    Options
    Thanks again all!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!