Spaghetti Squash

Options
goalss4nika
goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
:flowerforyou: Hello All,

I have been hearing so much about spaghetti squash and the great benefit of replacing it for regular pasta. I have yet to find it in my local supermarket. Also, I am unsure of what I am suppose to be looking for. Is it packaged like regular pasta noodles?! I have no clue at all about this. Any help would be great! Also, if you have any recipes involving spaghetti squash, please share them with me.

Thank you so much

Shanika

Replies

• lovekoko320
    lovekoko320 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It's with the vegetables as a whole squash. You boil or bake it, then take a fork and make the "noodles". It's yummy. A bit time consuming though. I've also tried zucchini noodles which are quicker.
  • slacker75
    slacker75 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    it's yellow and usually around the potatoe area (at least at my shopping places). It's oval and the sticker will say spaghetti squash. Now... my problem is I don't know how to pick a good one.. maybe someone on here will know. I might have a good one about every 1 out of 5 times... and it's wonderful...but other times it's still so hard and never softens (maybe it's suppose to be hard still after shredding - i'm not sure).

Please help me too
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a good recipe for Microwaving it. It is just Too Hot to put it in the Oven right now.
    Has anyone had good luck with Microwaving it? Do you HAVE to cut it in half first?
  • goalss4nika
    Options
    Thank you for replying!

I had it at Ruby Tuesday's about 3 weeks ago and loved it. I thought I could try to make it at home. I googled it and got a lil confused. Im saying to myself does it come package like pasta noodles or do I have to buy squash and make the noodles from that. Thank you slacker for that I will continue to look for this and experiment with it lol.
  • rkr2321
    rkr2321 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How do you do zucchini noodles?
  • laurabelle2013
    Options
    Spagetti squash is awesome! its a bit toothier than real pasta... AL DENTE... I guess... Once I put some leftover roasted cauliflower soup on it and it was practically like fettucini alfredo. YUM!
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I used to use spaghetti squash a lot.....I used to pierce it with a fork several times and then throw it in the microwave for 10 minutes or so. You will have to google the length of time to be sure....I can't remember. However, the squash was soft.

Once it had cooled, I'd cut it in half, remove the seeds and shred the rest with a fork. I'd use it under anything with a sauce or gravy. I've gotten off of it for a while, but think I'll try halving and roasting one to see if there's any difference in flavour. :)
  • goalss4nika
    Options
    Spagetti squash is awesome! its a bit toothier than real pasta... AL DENTE... I guess... Once I put some leftover roasted cauliflower soup on it and it was practically like fettucini alfredo. YUM!

Oh My! That sounds SO GOOOOOOOD! I am going to try to find some tonight.
  • whitney_simpson
    whitney_simpson Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is both easy to cook and delicious to eat. You can either bake it in the oven with a little water in a casserole dish before scraping out the insides or do the same thing in the microwave. You can toss it with spaghetti sauces or because of the already kind of sweet insides you can make it a sweet treat like ive done in the past. when roasting it I topped with with just a little brown sugar and some cinnamon to let that caramelize on to the top of it. then it gets all mixed in when you scrape out the insides.
  • goalss4nika
    Options
    I used to use spaghetti squash a lot.....I used to pierce it with a fork several times and then throw it in the microwave for 10 minutes or so. You will have to google the length of time to be sure....I can't remember. However, the squash was soft.

Once it had cooled, I'd cut it in half, remove the seeds and shred the rest with a fork. I'd use it under anything with a sauce or gravy. I've gotten off of it for a while, but think I'll try halving and roasting one to see if there's any difference in flavour. :)

Ohhhhh okay so it IS just a regular squash that you have to make yourself. That sounds very doable. I just hope I don't mess it up. Thanks again
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    You can cut it in half before you microwave it too. Scoop out the seeds & poke it all over with the tip of a knife. Then lay it cut side down on a plate. Rotate the halves half way through cooking (so the inside of each half will be on the outside of the plate). It won't take as long this way as a whole one would.

I like it with marinara and/or roasted veggies over it. I am loving the cauliflower soup idea too!
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I actually grow it in my garden. I will bake it whole at 375 for one hour. You should prick it several times. But, to be honest I haven't always done this. Then while it it baking I make my sauce. I take it out of the oven, let it cool about 15-20. Then cut it in half, get the seeds out. Then start shredding with a fork. Its perfect every time. Sometimes I will just eat with a bit of butter and salt and pepper it is wonderful! :love:
  • StrongFitSexy
    Options
    I have been meaning to try spaghetti squash for a very long time... I have yet to try it at Ruby Tuesday, I'm sure it's delicious :-P
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    We grow them in our garden. I cut the stem off, cut the squash in half, removed the seeds, put cut side down and microwave. Take out and shred with a fork. Doesn't seem to taste any different than baked.
  • ClumsyArtist
    ClumsyArtist Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've heard that it is a winter squash. I bought a couple for the first time a few weeks ago and they were quite small so I got 2. Hopefully later on in the year they'll be more plentiful and bigger. But I highly suggest - they're delicious!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It's a big yellow squash. I love it, but personally I eat it because I'm feeling like having some spaghetti squash, not as a substitute for actual pasta. Keep in mind that it's a vegetable...it's not going to taste anything like pasta. It is stringy like spaghetti, but that's about it. So many people seem to think it's some kind of magical vegetable that really tastes like pasta or something...cracks me up.
  • Kristy7418
    Kristy7418 Posts: 85
    Options
    I've just started eating spaghetti squash the past month. I've been experimenting with different recipes. I think I cooked the first couple to long because it was a bit watery. I cut mine in half and take out the seeds then place on half shell down in the microwave. Add about 1/2 cup water and place the other half on top (like making it whole again). Cook at 5 min intervals till it's soft. Last time I did 10 min and it came out good. I dumped any leftover water immediatly when it was done. After that I had a recipe to make a "mac n cheese" style dish and it came out pretty good. My bf, 16 year old and 1 year old liked it as well.
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of spaghetti squash! To cook it I usually cut it in half (or have my bf do it if I can't get the knife through), scoop out the seeds, put it in a casserole dish face up with a little water in the dish, cover it with plastic wrap and microwave for 8-10 minutes & shred! My absolute FAVORITE dish is a spaghetti squash pad thai. It is amazingly delicious, I highly suggest you try it if you enjoy normal pad thai! here is the recipe I use: http://stuffweate.blogspot.com/2012/01/chicken-pad-thai-made-with-spaghetti.html

The changes I make are: removing chicken (I'm a vegetarian), add in 2 eggs, and instead of using bok choy & carrots I just use the broccoli slaw mix. This meal is so good! I hope you all try it!
  • snowboardandasuitcase
    snowboardandasuitcase Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    saving topic for later :)
  • geekette411
    geekette411 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a good recipe for Microwaving it. It is just Too Hot to put it in the Oven right now.
    Has anyone had good luck with Microwaving it? Do you HAVE to cut it in half first?
    You can also wrap it in foil and grill it. I cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, wrap it in foil and grill it. Yum!