walking/running shoes...brand?

Options
i have a generic pair of shoes for walking/running nothing fancy but they KILL my feet. I know being out of shape doesn't help either but geeze these really hurt and give me blisters. I have tried insoles but that just didn't help. So any suggestions on brands? I do most of my walking/jogging on a treadmill (not sure if it makes a difference or not). Any and all suggestions are welcomed!

Replies

• AlexisJ330
    AlexisJ330 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I always use New Balance shoes. If there is a New Balance store by you, they can help find the perfect pair. I use a pair of trail running shoes since they are the most supportive. They also have multiple widths which is nice. They are a little expensive but its worth it since my knees and ankles don't hurt while running when I am wearing them.
  • amraf1024
    amraf1024 Posts: 74
    Options
    thank you i am looking at them now!
  • djwife03
    djwife03 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    yes! NEW BALANCE or BROOKS!
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    The type of shoes is more important than the brand, as long as it's one of the reputable brands. It's very important to pick the type of shoes that matches your gait, so it's worth having a professional analyzes it. I'll give you several brands for starters: Brooks, Asics, New Balance, Nike, Mizuno.
  • hsw07
    hsw07 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Brooks all the way!! I will never buy another brand after switching!
  • Laurenmp16
    Laurenmp16 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Love my Asics but the other poster is right, it will vary a lot person to person. I had some adidas that felt great in the store but were too narrow on my toes I realized after a few runs my toes blistered each other. Try shopping around until you find a knowledgeable sales person that asks about your activities and can make an educated recommendation.
  • joleabean
    joleabean Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good Shoes are essential...I always wore Asics until I tried a pair of Brooks. I don't think I'll ever switch again! Right now I have the Ghost 5 and they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever had. I usually log about 30 miles a week.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Brooks.

If you have a Fleet Feet* nearby, check them out. It's worth the very slightly higher price (compared to online) for their fitting process. They really know their stuff.

ETA *or other specialty running store
  • skinniewannabe
    skinniewannabe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Skechers "Go Walk" and "Go Run" are awesome!!
  • Alison12121
    Alison12121 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I love Brooks. The ones I have are comfy, waterproof, and they are lasting a lot longer than my Nikes.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I love my Mizuno's for running. I've also heard that Newton's are fantastic (from my cousin who runs lots of marathons).

The key is to make sure they are the right size. Most people buy shoes too small and too narrow. Find a store that will actually put you on a treadmill, analyze your gait, and fit you with the perfect shoe. You probably aren't going to find a good pair for less than $80 (US)... I like to spend around $100.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    My running shoes are Brooks. Ditto what Jof said about getting fitted, it's really helpful.
  • angelamary61
    angelamary61 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Where I live there is a shoe shop and I beleive the Foot Locker also does it, where they will get you to run/walk on a treadmill and look at your style and fit you with the correct shoe.
    I did this and as I have bunions they recommended New Balance as there is webbing not stitching in that area and I have no trouble.
    I recently bought a pair of Nikes, they look cool but I cant walk far in them so am terribly disappointed in them.
    Angela
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    When I was bigger I started with Asics. New Balance was okay too but I really like the Asics. Since then, I have changed to Mizuno road shoes and Brooks trail shoes. Point being, find one that is comfortable and don't be afraid to take them back if they hurt. Also, spend money on your shoes. Discounts are nice but not at the cost of pain.
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    If you have a Road Runner Sports store near you, they have a 90 day return policy.....even if "you bring them back covered in mud"....allegedly. I will be testing out this theory within the next week.......as the ones they fit me in are giving me more problems than they are solving, unfortunately.

Good luck....there are lots of choices out there.
  • krouse83
    krouse83 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same issue you have. I walk at least 3 miles daily and was getting blisters on the outside of my soles as well as pain in my hips. I thought it was my shoes, and so I went to a running/ walking store. They actually measured my feet and video taped me walking on the treadmill to get the perfect shoe. I ended up with Brooks and an insole since I overpronate. I have noticed that since going to the store, I haven't had the hip pain and only gotten blisters once since. I went back to the store and talked to the experts about the blisters and realized that when I got blisters I was wearing cotton socks and not socks that were made for walking and running. The cotton caused friction when my feet swelled during exercise resulting in the blisters. I switched socks and no more blisters!!!

Ultimately I really encourage you to go to a specialty store. They will tell you what kind of shoes to get and if you need anything to correct your step. Also switch the socks that are made for exercise and have very little cotton in them. Hope this helps!
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    I love my saucony :)

best advice is to go into a proper running store (or if you can find a sporting goods store that sells shoes AND has knowledeable sales people) and get help :)

They can look at your gait to see if you are under or over pronating and whether you need arch support or stability, they will get you the right shoes for the activity you are doing and for YOUR gait :)
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your feet! Do you have a running store that you can go and get measured/fitted at? I went to mine and Brooks are what worked for my feet. :smile:
  • Zandrette
    Zandrette Posts: 1
    Options
    I just bought a pair of Asics for the first time and I love them. Some adjust for pronated feet (under or over) and others are neutral. Since my feet are under-pronated (if you don't know a quick trip to Google will help you figure it out) my shoes are technically corrective shoes and they have gel padding. They are by far the best pair of running shoes I've ever owned!
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    I use New Balance and Aesics for my running shoes and have found them to be of very good quality and there are many different options to choose from.. However, like mentioned multiple times, it depends on your feet/arch/stride. You should definitely go to a running store where they can look at your feet to figure out what type of shoe is best for you. It will definitely be worth it if you're wanting to get into running as a regular activity.

I did have Nike as my first brand as I first started out, but those ended up giving me major problems when running. I still wear them for light activity, like the elliptical, though.