What is Natural Food Anyway?

Options

Replies

• iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I won't eat anything the Martians brought with them...which made my abduction particularly unpleasant.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I hit on honey because it's a completely naturally food, which happens to have been chemically processed from other materials.

See how it's all part of the same discussion?

You are making the assumption that honey as it is created by the hive is automatically processed. It is not. This is where the variation in thought begins. Once it--honey-- is processed (pasturized) it is a processed food, and would indeed be the near of HFCS. --in this regard your argument is valid. *Though I would also have to say that HFCS is more than just pasturized--it wouldn't exist without a great number of chemical processes as well--but that is a different matter*

No. I'm making the (correct) assumption that it is processed in the hive.

Once AGAIN: Can anyone tell me how bees can transform nectar into honey without any chemical processing?

More on topic question, can you tell me how it makes any difference in determining if honey is natural?
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

I hit on honey because it's a completely naturally food, which happens to have been chemically processed from other materials.

You are making the assumption that honey as it is created by the hive is automatically processed. It is not. This is where the variation in thought begins. Once it--honey-- is processed (pasturized) it is a processed food, and would indeed be the near of HFCS. --in this regard your argument is valid. *Though I would also have to say that HFCS is more than just pasturized--it wouldn't exist without a great number of chemical processes as well--but that is a different matter*

Once AGAIN: Can anyone tell me how bees can transform nectar into honey without any chemical processing?

More on topic question, can you tell me how it makes any difference in determining if honey is natural?

We're not trying to determine that. I've already stated that honey is a completely natural, chemically processed food.
  • bcattoes
    Options

We're not trying to determine that. I've already stated that honey is a completely natural, chemically processed food.

Oh, so just trying to hijack the thread with a separate topic now?
  • DeLeslynMitchell
    Options
    oh geez. wow.
    speechless.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Already addressed. Please re-read previous posts.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Um, pass. The universe is made of chemicals. I got it.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

Um, pass. The universe is made of chemicals. I got it.

Fact: The universe is, indeed, made of chemicals.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Considering they used intestines for sausage covers (and condoms) it wouldnt surprise me if someone decided to eat a cows vomit, or use their stomach to carry milk.

Anything from nature is natural, birds do it, bees do it! For frick sake you're eating a chickens period when you eat eggs. and honey is bee vomit (my mate owns a bee colony and his stuff is all unprocessed they are surrounded by plants and flowers, no need to feed it sugar water, it taints the honey flavour anyway)

Once you start changing its state, it becomes processed, then you eat it, it becomes processed into 'organic rubbish' which is what some people seem to be talking.

This is all my humble opinion
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Here in Canada fruits, veg, unprepared meats and fish don't have nutrition labels so I can definitely see your point. I would probably defer to the "is it an ingredient or does it have ingredients?" thing if I were in the UK. I know this can get sketchy too, but for the most part I think it would work out.
    Do we just end up with a debate about home cooking rather than prepared foods ?

I could bring home meat, veg, butter, flour, milk etc and make a meat pie, or buy a meat pie. At least in theory the purchased pie could be identical to what I would have made, so are both pies natural, just mine, or does it cease to be natural when it's turned into a meal or product and hence neither are.

Exactly. I was eating a Kashi frozen meal while my husband was ragging on me for eating "fast food." He was eating saltines and cheese. Really.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

It's a natural technology. Sort of like how plants chemically alter sunlight and air into sugars.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    The soy milk I buy lists 2 ingredients - FILTERED WATER, WHOLE ORGANIC SOYBEANS.
    But they obviously don’t just plop a soybean in a glass with water and sell it. I don’t consider almond milk/soybean milk to be ‘milk’ either. Milk is just a word used to indicate how you should use those foods. It’s a marketing word. Goats milk I would absolutely consider to be ‘milk’ in the same way cows milk is milk. Coconut milk is milk, but it’s a different use of the word as well. (not that all marketing isn’t ridiculous in some way or another – your other criticisms of the add I agree with mostly). Sadly, it’s not even legal to buy unprocessed milk where I live, but you certainly can get it straight from the cow if you have a way to do that.
    Now I’m picturing those bees in their little lab coats. Aren’t bee’s adorable, with their beakers and science? That’s totally how honey is made, I saw it on pbs.
    I pass the test. Butter is indeed natural.
    Horray!
  • bcattoes
    Options

What food, natural or not, is not chemically processed from other material?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    330x182px-LL-7dc6c095_micheal-jackson-eating-popcorn-theater-gif.gif
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Natural simply means existing in nature.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/natural

Wait a minute...I just got sucked into another dumb MFP argument.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    After it's been chemically processed. By bees.

Who have repeatedly regurgitated it to partially digest it, then left in uncapped cells to dry out and attain the right consistency before it's capped. Mmmmm ... Bee puke! Hardly minimal processing, but it's being done by bees instead of those Evil Humans so that means it's "natural".

So what's the definition of minimal processing: washing with an organic surffactant? Peeling? Irradiating (radiation is "natural, too)? Where does the line get drawn? My personal belief is that "natural" is a marketing category ... And the activities of humans are no more intrinsically evil than any other organism on the planet.

Regarding factories not being found in "nature", define factory ... Define nature. A beehive is a factory for producing honey and royal jelly and more bees.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

Who have repeatedly regurgitated it to partially digest it, then left in uncapped cells to dry out and attain the right consistency before it's capped. Mmmmm ... Bee puke! Hardly minimal processing, but it's being done by bees instead of those Evil Humans so that means it's "natural".

So what's the definition of minimal processing: washing with an organic surffactant? Peeling? Irradiating (radiation is "natural, too)? Where does the line get drawn? My personal belief is that "natural" is a marketing category ... And the activities of humans are no more intrinsically evil than any other organism on the planet.

Regarding factories not being found in "nature", define factory ... Define nature. A beehive is a factory for producing honey and royal jelly and more bees.

I think it follows that, if I ate a pizza and puked it up, it would be "natural food," if unappetizing.
  • dwidepp
    dwidepp Posts: 4
    Options
    FWIW, I think of "natural" foods as something that I could have found and eaten 200 years ago somewhere on planet earth. Beet and cane sugar? Sure, as long as it doesn't go through a chemical bleaching process. HFCS, nope. Cheese, sure. Processed cheese substitute, no. Turkey, yes. Deli meat turkey, no.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Stopped caring somewhere around the point of someone trying to prove HCFS is a natural food.
  • LexiAtel
    LexiAtel Posts: 228 Member
    Options

As much as I hate to admit it, you actually make sense...

We are supposed to think that "Natural" means pretty much anything that would occur on Earth should humans not interfere with it... but how would you grow a tomato plant without controlling pests? Even if you used "chemicals" that were safe for human consumption, it really couldn't be natural, since a human PLANTED the tomato seed, thus, humans are interfering with Nature (which is an occurrence if humans didn't exist, which is weird.... since we aren't considered Nature according to a human who wrote the meaning to the word... lol)

Anyway, if you made that tomato into ketchup, well... only humans really make ketchup, so there's really no such thing as "All Natural Ketchup". The better listing for "all-natural" would pretty much read in the ingredients:

"All Natural Tomatoes, Cane Juice (made from all natural Sugar cane)"

And the list goes on...but in technicality, it still couldn't be considered "all natural" because the tomato plant (or sugar cane plant) didn't just "naturally" occur in the wild, a human had to plant it, nurture it, etc. And the tomato didn't just pick itself... :/

"All Natural" and "Organic" are just MISLEADING marketing tools. In fact, I don't even bother getting things labeled "organic". This is mainly because I have no physical proof the company didn't spray the plants with horrid chemicals(that hurt people, and kill BEES), or genetically modify the seed that was used to begin the development of the plant I would be eating. So what would be the point in paying double to triple the cost?

In America, it has already been proven our food gets messed around and pass through an "allegedly" federal-regulated group that is supposed to protect us from bad food, but our food still is tainted from improper handling and processing.

The best thing you can do for yourself, is simply start producing and growing your own food, once a big corporation gets a hold of our food, the sky is the limit on how unhealthy it is.