Why do a lot of women prefer exercise DVDs?

Options
I'm just curious why women seem to prefer exercise DVDs. Obviously not all women prefer this, but you don't see a ton of guys doing 30 Day Shred or the like. So I'm looking to hear from those women who do exercise DVDs instead of other stuff: Why?

Replies

• DuckieSteph
    DuckieSteph Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I just like to have a variety of different exercises so I don't get bored. I prefer DVDs because they're cheaper than a gym membership and nobody will see me attempting to Zumba or "30 day Shred" or any other programs I decide to try. I can't speak for other women, but that is me personally. :)
  • m3x43
    m3x43 Posts: 40
    Options
    Privacy, time management and more economical.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I use DVDs for cross training. I've done Insanity and Less Mills Combat, a bit of Cathe Friedrich and some other stuff here and there. But primarily I run and lift weights. I do all my workouts at home or on the road/trails. I hate the gym.

... plus I have 5 kids to take care of, so I have to squeeze in my workouts when I can.
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I was a Stay At Home Mom for 15 yrs before I started working outside the house. I preferred them then because a lot of the time I was stuck in the house with 5 young kids and no car. Also, I am very self conscious and uncoordinated. I also can't afford to go to a real gym. So this was my alternative.

Now that I work outside the home and my children are older... I still prefer them because I am still self conscious and I have very limited time due to my work schedule. And limited funds.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    There aren't many dance classes where I live, but there are a lot of instructional dance DVDs, and a lot of samba DVDs.
  • nobleammonite
    nobleammonite Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Privacy, time management and more economical.

I think this says it all. :happy:
  • LuHox
    LuHox Posts: 136
    Options
    variety of workouts
    saves time: don't have to drive to the gym, drive home, etc
    privacy: some like to exercise in the privacy of our own homes
    try something new without committing to a class/personal trainer
    doesn't usually require expensive equipment that takes up a lot of space
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm a student on a budget. So it's cheaper for me to grab a $10 DVD that I can do from home than pay for a gym membership. Also, because I can workout from home, I don't waste time going to and from the gym that I could be studying!
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    I'm a road warrior for work. It's the only way I can get consistency in my routine. If there's no consistency I talk myself out of it waaaaay to easily :blushing:
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    A lot think lifting will make them bulky

WRONG

It will make them sexy
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    BTW did I mention I loved you in Django?
  • lizzzylou
    Options
    I use DVDs for cross training. I've done Insanity and Less Mills Combat, a bit of Cathe Friedrich and some other stuff here and there. But primarily I run and lift weights. I do all my workouts at home or on the road/trails. I hate the gym.

... plus I have 5 kids to take care of, so I have to squeeze in my workouts when I can.

I've done Insanity previously. I restarted it & I am on week 4 after a long hiatus. Thinking of trying Les Mills next, how do you like it??
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I've done Insanity previously. I restarted it & I am on week 4 after a long hiatus. Thinking of trying Les Mills next, how do you like it??
    I prefer Les Mills Combat to Insanity. But then I trained in kickboxing for 10 years.

Oh, and for the record, here's part of my workout room where I do my DVDs... no fear of weights here:
    969514_10151664853546210_474111359_n.jpg
  • lizzzylou
    Options
    BTW did I mention I loved you in Django?

LOL thanks for the evening giggle :drinker:
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Because I don't like other people seeing me exercise.

I run alone, in the evening. I work out alone, with p90x, in the morning.
  • lizzzylou
    Options
    I prefer Les Mills Combat to Insanity. But then I trained in kickboxing for 10 years.

Oh, and for the record, here's part of my workout room where I do my DVDs... no fear of weights here:
    969514_10151664853546210_474111359_n.jpg

*drool* Can I move in with you??? I dont take up a lot of space & I'm pretty neat & clean!
  • chanel1twenty
    chanel1twenty Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Because 90% of females are horrified by the thought of people seeing them workout.
    Completely a self-confidence & esteem issue.

Also, when you're not exactly the skinniest, who wants to workout & jiggle their flab around a bunch of good looking thin people? O.o
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    When juggling family, it' can be easier to put in a DVD then go to a scheduled class.
  • Eifersucht
    Eifersucht Posts: 34
    Options
    I live in a rural area. The nearest gym is 10+ miles away and costs more per year than I care to pay for their limited class selection. I might talk myself into it if they offered classes I'm interested in. As it stands, I'm much happier doing a kickboxing DVD in the privacy of my own living room where I don't have to worry about anyone secretly laughing at me for fumbling a move and for being a little flabby. I have met a lot of judgmental people in my life. There are no judgments coming from my DVDs. :)
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Have you seen the price of gas lately? Aint no body got time for that.

Also I work at home so it's nice to be able to do a work out on my break :D