Why do a lot of women prefer exercise DVDs?

Options

Replies

• danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Privacy, time management and more economical.

Agree.

This. I work full time and then some, have 3 kids, and I am a road warrior. I've been increasing my weights on my DVD's steadily. My job has unpredictable hours and the DVD's are waiting there for me whether it's 8 pm or 10pm. On that note, time to go work out :)
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I love going to the gym and lifting weights but I also love my workout DVDs. I think it's no wonder more women enjoy them, because most of them are clearly geared towards women :P For example, you mentioned 30 days shred... it only has women in the video! There are some co-ed DVDs of course (Insanity, JM Body Revolution, etc.) But I think a lot of them clearly send the message that they are for women to use.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    No gym membership - personally that's a waste of money, IMO. I have gotten better results with my DVDs than I ever got with a gym.

Granted, not many men do the 30 Day Shred, but I know a lot of dudes who do P90X.

I like Jillian as her workouts are difficult and challenge, but not insane to the point where I dread doing them. Honestly I think Jillian can be harder than P90X as she doesn't allow for rest.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I do youtube videos. It's more convenient for me.
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Because gyms are germy, overpriced meat markets, for one, and some of us are just introverted and don't like people in general. Plus even if the gym is close to home, the drive there-park-change-not kill chatty stranger-work out-shower-change back-get cute-go on with your day routine adds an unacceptable amount of time for this girl, who doesn't have time to work out in the first place.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I haven't done them lately but I like them because we can do a full body workout in the privacy of are own home with no onne to watch or judge. These days I. Run and lift weights (at home).
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I just like to have a variety of different exercises so I don't get bored. I prefer DVDs because they're cheaper than a gym membership and nobody will see me attempting to Zumba or "30 day Shred" or any other programs I decide to try. I can't speak for other women, but that is me personally. :)

That's pretty much my reason, too.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Plenty of guys seem to be doing insanity and p90x.
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of walk away the pounds video miles. I also do a lot of outdoors walking, hiking, and some bicycling. For me, it's the convenience of doing a couple of miles here and there-which all adds up. I don't have to go anywhere. I am self employed, so I work odd hours and it's nice to have the video exercise as an option. My "preference" would be a 4-6 hour hike every day, but that isn't realistic. I hope to eventually be able to justify some time with a physical therapist to help me find out what kind of lifting might be possible with a damaged back, and then with a trainer to show me proper form. But for now, the video is what helps me get any exercise at all on a busy day.
  • virginiejaubin
    virginiejaubin Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Less time consuming, less expensive, great results!
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Probably for the same reason "most" men don't like to DANCE!! :noway:

<insert sarcasm>

I enjoyed my gym membership and wasn't afraid to lift heavy, but I had to chose between paying that and repairing my car. So for the next few months at least, I'll be doing the DVD shuffle as well. If I had the room for it, I'd get a bench and set of weights for home. Might toss some furniture and make room for one down the road. LOL

Oh yea, I had issues with intimidation at the gym too. I look ridiculous doing a squat right now. :embarassed:
  • dreamweavers4
    Options
    How about because I don't know what the F I am doing! LOL! I have no clue what to do without them, can't afford a gym membership/personal trainer, and I like to work out in private, I don't even allow my husband to watch!
  • dawnsjourney
    dawnsjourney Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    So no one can watch us. LOL
  • ginamc04
    ginamc04 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have lots of reasons....my kids hated the gym's daycare so that made the gym miserable for me.
    Trainers at the gym only want to help you figure out what to do if you sign up and pay more.
    I felt stupid at the gym in classes if I was new, and I was always new because I'd only go once....because I am uncoordinated!
    I hated people watching me workout.
    I felt like I didn't know what I was doing at the gym.
    I was always late for classes and with kids, its hard to stick to a schedule that isn't my own!

I use P90X, Insanity, Turbo Fire, Asylum, P90X2 and Body Combat-I get a wide variety. I lift weights and love it. I workout on my own schedule. My kids are out of the daycare and can just play. I can workout alone or choose to have my friends over to workout together. I don't have to pay a trainer to show me what to do, I have a coach & the DVD instruction (which are very clear but if I'm still confused, I can call or email someone right away)

I've lost more weight with these workouts & meal plans in one year than I did in many many years of going to the gym.

My husband loves P90X & P90X2 because he can do them at the fire station and on his days off. His schedule doesn't work too well with a typical gym membership and this works great for him-and he can share it with his co-workers too. My friend's husband is a Major in the Marine Corps and he does Insanity & P90X. My other friend's husband is a State Trooper and his whole shift does P90X-not just for ladies! :)
  • ginamc04
    Options
    exactly! lol
  • ginamc04
    Options
    How about because I don't know what the F I am doing! LOL! I have no clue what to do without them, can't afford a gym membership/personal trainer, and I like to work out in private, I don't even allow my husband to watch!

exactly! LOL
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    For the most part women like to be told what to do. *ducks for cover*
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Because 90% of females are horrified by the thought of people seeing them workout.
    Completely a self-confidence & esteem issue.

Also, when you're not exactly the skinniest, who wants to workout & jiggle their flab around a bunch of good looking thin people? O.o

Uuhmm...NO? Don't presume to speak for 90% of females....Not everybody cares about what other people think.....

economics, time management and comfort - why get dressed and drove in crazy traffic to the gym so I can wait for weights and pick up other peoples germy stuff if I can walk down the stairs and do everything from Cathe Friederichs , P90X to kickboxing in my own basement......
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I prefer to workout at the gym. DVDs don't appeal much to me, although I have a lot of JM workouts and the But Bible, which I do them only once or twice a week. My house is not set up for exercise, with carpet in the room where I work out, and no mirrors.

I always find things to do in the house (excuses), rather than pushing “play” in the DVD, so going to the gym is great for me. I was never intimidated because I used to workout at Gold's with the big boys when I was younger; I loved it and miss that motivation.

The gym is in my complex, just three blocks away from the house, pretty well stocked and free (part of the HOA). I love the chance to work out with different equipment and to change my routine at will.

I understand the reasons why so many ladies prefer to workout at home, and I think that it is great that these DVDs are now available. Back in my younger days, Jack LaLane was my "TV instructor".
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    inb4 feminazis. But I'm just curious why women seem to prefer exercise DVDs. Obviously not all women prefer this, but you don't see a ton of guys doing 30 Day Shred or the like. So I'm looking to hear from those women who do exercise DVDs instead of other stuff: Why?

1. Saving Time: Because instead of having to pack a bag, catch a bus and walk through the CBD at 6am to get to a gym, I simply get out of bed, take off the pjs, toddle down the hall and turn on the DVD in my study. I don't have to wait for a bus, or for anyone to get off a machine.

2. Saving Money: Instead of paying $45 a fortnight for gym membership I paid $40 for 5 Jillian MIchaels DVDs in January.
    Have yet to get bored and have done some only once.
    I also have pilates, zumba, Tracey Anderson, New York Ballet work outs on DVD.

3. Comfort: I love exercising in just a sports bra and underpants. Husband likes it too. I always hated being covered up when exercising as I find it really uncomfortable and distracting. I hated having to carry around gym gear with me when going to/from work and having to do a tonne of washing of sweaty gym gear.

4. More Money Saved: The above also saves cash because I don't have to buy more gym gear or shoes or do as much laundry!

5. Results: - the combination of the above means that I am enjoying and actually sticking to working out regularly and more often. I am enjoying life a bit more because I get to spend more time at home and with loved ones instead of hours a week in a gym.

6. I prefer to work out alone - other people are simply a distraction or In My Way.

:D