Lifters, I'm so HANGRY!!

Options
2»

Replies

• nicolemariemclovin
    nicolemariemclovin Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    AGH I can totally relate! I just started heavy lifting again in the past few weeks on top of the cardio I was doing, and I am so HUNGRY! Yesterday was leg day, my stomach felt like a bottomless pit all evening!!
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I'm always ravishing after i lift. And I only lift maybe once or twice a week! Guess that's our body saying we need protein! lol

you ARE ravishing!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I'm sending an FR! I have this issue as well. I work out 4x a week, also combining an hour plus of cardio and heavy weights. And I'm so hangry, even though I'm trying to stick to 1700 calories - I just ate 2/3rds of a huge stack of sushi. And I am not ashamed. Of course, I danced for 3 hours at a show last night that kicked my *kitten* too. So, yeah. FOOD!

Also, my diary is open, but it's not the greatest. I'm always running, but I'm working hard on getting my eating better - protein targets are particularly tough for me too.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Replying cuz I am on pain pills and hoping that someone on my FL can explain this to me.

Editing: Because I am on pain pills and I can't spell for bleep. I can't spell for bleep anyway, but maybe I get more sympathy for the pain pills.

Oh and who ever said hunger is in your mind is nuts. Women do get hungrier than men from lifting. I haven't found this to be true for mild cardio activity though. But, intense cardio will also make me hungry, not that I am ever going to do that.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry after working out it is mental.

Wait, what?
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I eat a crap tonne of protein, drink lots of water, and actually eat when I'm hungry. Ignoring the feeling after a heavy lifting session only comes back to bite me in the butt later.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I allow myself to eat at maintenance on legs days even if I'm cutting. Squats and deads make me hungry.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Replying cuz I am on pain pills and hoping that someone on my FL can explain this to me.

Editing: Because I am on pain pills and I can't spell for bleep. I can't spell for bleep anyway, but maybe I get more sympathy for the pain pills.

Oh and who ever said hunger is in your mind is nuts. Women do get hungrier than men from lifting. I haven't found this to be true for mild cardio activity though. But, intense cardio will also make me hungry, not that I am ever going to do that.

I don't know how you would compare hunger intensity between men and women, and frankly I think way too much is made of the differences as they pertain to workouts and dieting, BUT I absolutely agree that anyone that says hunger is in your mind when it pertains to lifting is out of theirs. I can run fasted, I can do upper body workouts fasted, but I'll cut a beach for a donut on legs days.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    YEP...when I push my muscles, I am hongry the whole damn day, and usually end up eating a lot of chicken or steak.
  • roxierachael
    roxierachael Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I allow myself to eat at maintenance on legs days even if I'm cutting.

I've been trying to think of fat loss in terms of cutting, but I just don't know enough about it. Is losing 150 lbs of cellulite considered a cut?
  • redpotatoes
    Options
    I LITERALLY just had this same issue. I did my leg workout, and viola! I was starving. I usually munch on almonds after lifting, and it seems to help.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Go ahead, tell me to eat more. I dare you. Because I will DO IT.

I didn't work out for two days and I wasn't hungry. At. All. It was marvelous.

I started lifting again and I'm hungry all day long. Currently I do 30 or 60 minutes cardio and 45 minutes heavy lifting. I enjoy doing it, but then I suffer the rest of the day. Building muscle is great, but the ultimate goal here is fat loss. So, what should I do? Cut back on exercise? Suffer the hunger for another 12 months? What? WHAT?

BMR: 1687
    TDEE: 2911 (5-6 hours/wk, strenuous exercise)
    TDEE -20%: 2329

I would advise a smaller deficit than Maybe do a 10% cut instead of 20%. I was going to recommend calorie cycling, but seems you lift 5x a week so that won't work for you. Actually you might want to exercise every other day instead. If you're lifting 5x a week that's not the best layout for a beginner, That's more for advanced people. Maybe you're lifting every other day, and doing cardio on the other days? I don't know. You could eat more on lifting days if this wasy the case.

I agree with the advice to have a smaller deficit. If you are just doing body fat % loss (and not needing to drop 65#)- go with a smaller deficit, around 10%.
    Give your muscles recovery days between lifting days- recovery days are needed so your muscles can heal and rebuild.
    And, if you are eating at a deficit, you won't be building much muscle, if any. Not sure by your statement (bolded) if you wanted to build muscle, too.

Every time I'm in the gym, I aim for 45 minutes of lifting and an hour on the elliptical. The lifting I started in January to raise my bmr, so I guess in that respect, I'm still a noob. Even on a deficit I'm definitely building muscle, although I think it has slowed at this point. I know the standard is to take off every other day, but like the pace I've developed in the gym. I'm not sore or tired. It's simply the hunger. If I can keep going, I will.

I'm at the point where I can eat my whole deficit, build muscle (I presume), but not lose weight.

I briefly tried ketosis, but I don't think I was getting enough carbs to sustain the workouts. I'm going to look into calorie cycling. Thanks for that.

You may build a *very small* amount of muscle due to "newbie gains" but in general, you won't be building muscle. What does happen is that you maintain your muscle while you lose the fat on top of them and that makes them appear bigger.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry after working out it is mental.

1xbsk_zpseb7bb7a8.gif