Overcoming My Fear Of The Swimsuit

Options

Replies

• Balance_Breathe
    Options
    I am grinning from ear to ear!!! YAY!!! So proud of you, and may I just say, I think you look fabulous in that suit! Not to get too personal, but you have great legs and you really don't even look all that overweight! The first thing I notice, the thing that overshines every other thing about how you look, is that happy smile on your face.... and on Ed's face, too. : ) Ed did good to push you to go!

I don't think you said-- how was the getting in and out part, was it okay?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Good for you water is so therapeutic never feel ashamed I've donned less swim suits than that at 365 because I love water and sun. Keep it up dare you to go a bit sexier for the hubs :tongue:
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Your post brought tears to my eyes. I have also NEVER felt happy in a bathing suit, until today, actually. I am so happy for you!! That look on your husband's face made me openly weep. He looks so happy, and it seems to be pride! He is so proud of his GOREOUS lady and her accomplishments. You have a wonderful love, and it's amazing when 1 photo can tell the story of a whole marriage! Congrats on so many things!!!

You have nothing to fear in that swim suit; you look amazing, and you have some pretty killer legs :flowerforyou:
  • lainester
    lainester Posts: 46
    Options
    Like others said this brought tears to my eyes! What a great story and that picture of you in the water that first time, loved it!!! Good for you! Here's to many more days ahead like this! So awesome! :happy:
  • bluecrayonz
    bluecrayonz Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Proud of you girl :) and u really do look beautiful
  • pe4sandra
    pe4sandra Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    LoVe ThE PiCtUrEs!!! Something about your face screams, "I LOVE LIFE!" Enjoy the pool and your new swimsuits.
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I am grinning from ear to ear!!! YAY!!! So proud of you, and may I just say, I think you look fabulous in that suit! Not to get too personal, but you have great legs and you really don't even look all that overweight!

Believe me, I am one very fat lady. The photos of my body under water give the illusion of a very thin person. That is simply water destorting the object below the surface. My upper arms are horrible. Maybe you didn't see this recent photo of that problem area.

04-29-13MyFatUnderArms01_zps4cfc2791.jpg

The rest of my body is not much better. My thighs are horrible with a mass of loose fat at the top and saddle bags as well. Yes...from the neck up and the knees down, my body isn't as bad. Of course, all the stretch marks, cellulitis, sagging boobies and hanging belly are all in that large middle ground. :laugh:
    The first thing I notice, the thing that overshines every other thing about how you look, is that happy smile on your face.... and on Ed's face, too. : ) Ed did good to push you to go!

We both had good reason to smile today. I was in heaven from the moment I felt the water lift my body, as though I didn't weigh 219 pounds today.
    I don't think you said-- how was the getting in and out part, was it okay?

With handrails and steps into the water, I was as safe and steady as on my walker; but I must admit, that I felt like I had gained 100 pounds as I lift myself out of the water and took on my full weight again. Ed was near me and even offered to help, but I knew that I had to pull myself up. I went from almost weightless in the water for most of an hour to feeling the full burden of my pounds as I climbed those few steps out of the pool.
  • karenertl
    karenertl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I love your pics! Way to go! I want to go swimming now. :)
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    What a fun read, thanks for sharing.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Yay! I love swimming too! The "weightlessness" is awesome & so easy on the joints! An added plus for me - no sweating!! Keep it up & keep smiling!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    awesome! and that smile on your face - wow! you look so liberated and calm.

give that special Ed a big hug - he sounds like one amazing guy!:flowerforyou:
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    Wow, this is so wonderful. I don't know you, but I feel so happy for you, regardless! You are beautiful and an inspiration. Thanks for sharing, and keep on enjoying that pool! :flowerforyou:
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Sounds like a beautiful day and I feel quite overcome with emotion just reading your post. So pleased you had such a lovely day with your husband :)
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    Good for you water is so therapeutic never feel ashamed I've donned less swim suits than that at 365 because I love water and sun. Keep it up dare you to go a bit sexier for the hubs :tongue:

No sexier swimsuit for this old girl. I deleted one photo that Ed took of my cleveage, before I got in the pool. Several times during my laps, Ed would come up beside me. He liked it when my swimdress would float up and expose the skin between my waist and my breast...the spare tire area. Just that little amount of skin was enough for him.

I got a lot of hugs and lovie dovie talk, when we were together in that pool and spa. He joked around about 'his bathing beauty'. That was the reason that he wanted that shot of me wrapped up in a towel. If this was a private pool and we were alone, I have a feeling that we both would have been skinny dipping and more. Unfortunately, that kind of behavior would get us banned from this community pool for seniors.

I know that I felt sexy and far less senior today. :wink:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

No sexier for this old girl. I deleted one photo that Ed took of my cleveage, before I got in the pool. Several times during my laps, Ed would come up beside me. He liked it when my swimdress would float up and expose the skin between my waist and my breast...the spare tire area. Just that little amount of skin was enough for him.

I got a lot of hugs and lovie dovie talk, when we were together in that pool and spa. He joked around about 'his bathing beauty'. That was the reason that he wanted that shot of me wrapped up in a towel. If this was a private pool and we were alone, I have a feeling that we both would have been skinny dipping and more. Unfortunately, that kind of behavior would get us banned from this community pool for seniors.

I know that I felt sexy and far less senior today. :wink:

Awe lovely :devil: you aren't a senior your a vibrant bathing beauty moving and respecting your body no wonder he was amorous
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    I know that this pool is going to be a wonderful tool for weight loss and preparation for my double knee surgeries and postop as well. My doctor will be thrilled that I am swimming. This can only help me to be a better patient.

I can feel the workout that I got in my thighs tonight. So, this was all good.

Ed will be out of town most of tomorrow at a pastors' meeting, but I am looking forward to another trip to the pool on Friday.
  • rbeckner711
    rbeckner711 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    This is wonderful :)
  • WalkingMermaid_
    WalkingMermaid_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    This is SO inspiring to me, as someone who was an avid, keen, lover of swimming and the water, it broke my heart to lose the confidence to get in the pool once I had gained so much weight. It's literally torture for me not to swim or be in water.

As fate has it, my local pool is closed until late August due to a rebuild. My goal is to be around or under the 200's by then and to be there on the new pool's opening day armed with my swim suit and courage!!

Your story moved me to tears! Congratulations on your success and I wish you many freeing and happy moments in the water! xxx
  • linda_p
    linda_p Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I can feel your joy and hear the sound of freedom...a beautiful gift! Thank you so much for sharing!
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    This morning, I have what one MFP member refers to as 'delicious pain'. There is a soft ache across my upper back and arms. Even my inner thigh are telling me that I found some old, unused muscle groups during my time in the pool yesterday. That's all good, because I needed that; and I want MORE.

I don't feel tired or in anyway injured by my exercise. I feel INSPIRED and EAGER to get back in the pool as soon as I can. I know this was good for me. Ed is out of town today for a pastors' meeting; but we are definitely going back tomorrow.

For those of you who are still worried about how BAD you would look in a swimsuit...DON'T be your own worst enemy. Under water, you will look small, as those photos so clearly illustrate. You only need the courage to get passed the TERROR of the DREADED SWIMSUIT and get to the water. Once you are there, you will be rewarded more than you could ever imagine.

I wish that I hadn't waited so long; and I am so grateful to my MFP sisters who encouraged and inspired me to join my hubbie in the pool.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!