walking/running shoes...brand?

Options
13»

Replies

• weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I have some Asics Gel Contends at the moment and they are working out well.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I happen to like New Balance because they're well made and come in widths. But a lot depends on the type and model shoe that you get. You might want a walking shoe, since it sounds like you're looking for more cushioning. I use a very cushioned, supportive walking shoe, but I use it for my aerobics dvd and everything except hiking. The higher the model number for New Balance, the more supportive and balanced the shoes are--and the more expensive. So try some on and see what feels good. Though all supportive new shoes will feel a little strange at first, when your feet aren't used to getting the support they need.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    I know Brooks Beast or Ariel are popular for runners.

I went and got fitted for shoes. I would recommend that.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I love my sauconies.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I could be a marketing/ sales guy for Brooks. They're fantastic :)

As others have mentioned, it'd be worthwhile to go to a running store and have them do a gait analysis on your stride for walking/running. They'll be able to match a shoe to your mechanics. People that work at those stores are usually very knowledgable and extremely helpful
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    i usually get new balance or saucony - up till now i've been very happy. my last pair (saucony) i don't like so much.

my best friend swears by brooks - she won't buy another brand now.

(tip - try on men's shoes also - it may be a better fit for you).

and don't forget - you need to change out your shoes every now and then - some say every three months, or every six months.
  • gogoyubarino
    gogoyubarino Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    As someone who over-pronates I love my Mizuno Wave Inspire 8 and 9.
    I've heard Saucony er very good too but never tried them.
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I've tried all sorts of brands some of which were good some damaged my feet but the best ones I've ever had and I'm now on my 4th pair are lidl's they are comfy look great and the best bit is they only cost £12.99 result I say ????
  • johannypoo
    johannypoo Posts: 13
    Options
    What are some great running shoes for high arches?
  • justicer68
    justicer68 Posts: 1,223
    Options
    Brooks all the way!! I will never buy another brand after switching!

On my 2nd pair now - love 'em!

^^This. Love them!
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I love asics
  • mattdsoares
    Options
    Oh boy, asking for favorite brands is risky. Brands carry very high loyalties in the community.

In reality...it doesn't much matter. Saucony, Brooks, ASICS, Nike, New Balance, and Mizuno all make some great shoes...and some not to great shoes. Adidas, Puma, and Reebok also make them, though a lot of people look down on those brands for running, rightly or wrongly.

IMO you shouldn't focus on the brand, but focus on the model how it fits your own gait. Don't go into a story thinking, "I need Nikes" or "I need Brooks". Find out whether you're a neutral runner or an overpronator or supinator. Do you have normal, low, or high arches? Are you heavy and want a lot of cushioning and durability or something light and minimalist. Once you know this, then take a look at the models that would work best for you. A dedicated running store is best if you have one in your area. Otherwise you can research and use something like the runnersworld.com shoe finder. http://www.runnersworld.com/shoeadvisor

Narrow it down to a few models that are made for your gait and needs and then try them on. Don' get hung up on the brand. It really doesn't matter if you're rocking ASICS, Brooks, or Nike, as long as they support your feet the right way and are comfortable. These are all good manufacturers.

Personally I run in ASICS Gel Kayano 19. I'm a big clydesdale (280lbs) but I don't really overpronate and my arches are normal to very slightly low. This shoe provides some stability but not too much, as I don't really need a real stability or motion control shoe. I really love them, but they might not be right for you. Maybe the Nike Lunar Glide +4, or Brooks Beast, or Mizuno Wave. Who knows?

Don't get hung up on brand name. Get hung up on fit, comfort, and support to match your gait
  • roverdisc98
    roverdisc98 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Brooks all the way for me!

STAY AWAY FROM THE BOX STORES!

Find a local running store that can professionally help and fit you, not brand specific