Why 1000/1200 calorie diets are bad - backed by science

Options

Replies

• Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Title should say: Why 1000/1200 calorie diets are bad FOR SOME PEOPLE - backed by BAD science.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Title should say: Why 1000/1200 calorie diets are bad FOR SOME PEOPLE - backed by BAD science.

It should really be "why losing weight while exercising is much better than losing weight without exercising."
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    they are NOT BAD,,,, and you get back it any way you want.

ehhh?
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Redacted.

Broscience: it's completely unquestionable and 100% reliable! XD
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    why are you so obsessed with 1200 calories
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    oh you people and your science.... how silly ...

truthfully, thank you , the reference in the blog post were valuable, thank you!!
  • jentwyn
    jentwyn Posts: 8
    Options
    I guess i don't really understand all of this. I'm told to eat 1200 calories per day. It is often hard for me to do that. I lost 53 lbs within the last 3 years by cutting portions and exercising 30 min-1 hours 5 times a week. I have about 20 more to loose and am back to wokring out about 5 times a week instead of 2 to 3. How do i find out for sure how much I should be eating to lose that last 20 lbs. I've been at a plateau for about a year.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I guess i don't really understand all of this. I'm told to eat 1200 calories per day. It is often hard for me to do that. I lost 53 lbs within the last 3 years by cutting portions and exercising 30 min-1 hours 5 times a week. I have about 20 more to loose and am back to wokring out about 5 times a week instead of 2 to 3. How do i find out for sure how much I should be eating to lose that last 20 lbs. I've been at a plateau for about a year.

The most important thing for you to do is log consistently. You only have like three days' worth of logging here.

You're also eating way, way, way, way too little. Start a new thread asking for help.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options

So, you read the full text pubmed study?
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Redacted.

Its sod all to do with broscience. Its everything to do with actual science.

Read the study and understand.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Redacted.

Its sod all to do with broscience. Its everything to do with actual science.

Read the study and understand.

The study doesn't really support what you claim.

The main thing to get from the results is that losing weight while exercising is way better than losing weight while not exercising.
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I've been eating 1300-1400 cals per day and eating my exercise cals back as well... exercise is a combination of strength 3 days per week with cardio (usually swimming), and another 2 days a week just cardio... my goal right now is to decrease fat while maintaining as much lean body mass as I can in the process... once I get my bmi down to a healthy range, I'll up my cals and start working towards the more fit look... hoping this is a good process lol, its working so far it seems :)

I would ditch BMI ...according to BMI I am "obese" but have 13% body fat..how does that work..???

when I say bmi, mainly i"m working towards seeing less fat, right now I have quite a bit :p I'm just hoping to do that and maintail as much lean body mass as possible during the process...
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I just did a study and three of my peers have approved it - turns out You're Wrong.
  • Izablota
    Izablota Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Not a good analogy, I said "of that study". I however got a medical opinion, from a doctor, not a average number provided by a site that may not apply to everyone. 1200 might be fine for someone with a slow metabolism, however it's not going to apply for everyone, I recommend getting tested to know for sure, what is right for you.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The key message from this study was that the LCD group lost most fat and weight at both 3 months and 6 months.

It was clearly the most successful intervention, if reducing overweight was the goal. The opposite of the thread title.
    LCD: low calorie diet (890 kcal/d) until 15% weight reduction [i[]followed by weight maintenance[/i]

25% CR was quicker off the mark than 12.5% CR and +12.5% exercise intervention, though the latter caught up by 6 months and with a better fat loss than CR. All interventions lost some lean mass.

Is the OP's sole objection to the LCD that those people "moved less" ?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I'm sure a quick google search will throw up numerous articles 'Backed by Science' stating the opposite
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I just did a study and three of my peers have approved it - turns out You're Wrong.

I bow to your superior understanding of the peer-review process......
  • xMillyLouisex
    xMillyLouisex Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    in...for the oncoming sh$t storm and show!

^^ this

im in lol
  • mjharman
    mjharman Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You can say what you want but I have been surviving on a 1200 calorie diet, as recommended by my dietician, since December. It is the first time I have been successful at losing weight. I have tried dieting with higher calories allotments and with as much exercise as I am doing now...but with no results. ABSOLUTELY NONE. As I said, this is the FIRST TIME that I have been successful at losing weight in a very long time.

I also know that, as I continue on this journey of mine, my exercise is increasing not decreasing. I am moving more than ever, and loving it.

I believe everyone is different and there is no exact science to weight loss. My diet is working, better than I ever hoped it would, and I am sticking with it. It is balanced, thus providing me with all of the nutrients I need, and I can do this. No charts and graphs are going to change my mind. Thanks for trying, though. :wink:
    There is an exact science to weight loss. you do not defy the laws of energy
    well did you confirm not having hypothyroidism?
    Did you weigh all your food out?
    Did you have a diary?

Yes - I was referred to the dietician by my endocrinologist.
    Yes - I weighed all of my food out...I was EXTREMELY exact.
    Yes - I used MFP
    BELIEVE ME, I was extremely exact and dedicated, which was why I was so upset when nothing worked. It is also why, when I left the dietician's office on December 27th, I was sure I could follow the diet she gave me but was also sure that it would not work. Imagine my surprise when it did!

I have to wonder if any of the subjects studied were 54 year old, post-menopausal, diabetic women. HMMMM....

And let me also mention that my MFP ticker does not indicate my actual weight loss. When I left the dietician's office that day, I weighed 256.4 pounds. Today I weigh 207.4. That's a 49 pound weight loss in less than 6 months...so I am definitely going to argue that the "methodology" that you are pushing is "exact science." :wink:
  • proudandprejudiced
    Options
    is this 1000 net or 1000 intake? there's a big difference.