Spaghetti Squash

Options

Replies

• bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a good recipe for Microwaving it. It is just Too Hot to put it in the Oven right now.
    Has anyone had good luck with Microwaving it? Do you HAVE to cut it in half first?

I just poke with a fork a few times, microwave for 6 minutes, flip over & microwave for 6 more minutes. I had no luck trying to cook in the oven. It's just too darn hard that even my sharpest knife could not cut it!
  • WilBSkinee
    WilBSkinee Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Spagetti squash is awesome! its a bit toothier than real pasta... AL DENTE... I guess... Once I put some leftover roasted cauliflower soup on it and it was practically like fettucini alfredo. YUM!

Is there a recipe for this soup? It sounds awesome :love:
  • younginaz
    younginaz Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    We also cut it in half, take the seeds out, wrap it in foil, and grill. It takes about an hour. You can also pierce the skin and bake like a potato, but if you do it that way it takes forever to cool down enough to cut in half and scoop the seeds out.
  • denise032
    denise032 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I bake it in the oven on 400 for 1 hour. Then I add a can of no salt added diced tomato, italian seasings, whole wheat panko bread crumbs and mozzarella cheese. Put it back in the oven to let the cheese melt. It's delicious! One of my faves :)
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    My absolute FAVORITE dish is a spaghetti squash pad thai. It is amazingly delicious, I highly suggest you try it if you enjoy normal pad thai! here is the recipe I use: http://stuffweate.blogspot.com/2012/01/chicken-pad-thai-made-with-spaghetti.html

The changes I make are: removing chicken (I'm a vegetarian), add in 2 eggs, and instead of using bok choy & carrots I just use the broccoli slaw mix. This meal is so good! I hope you all try it!

Just checked out this recipe and it looks sooo good! I like your changes also and I'll go one step further and get rid of the cilantro (ugh). I'm adding it to my MFP recipes and will probably make it tomorrow night! Thanks for the link!!!

As far as other ideas, I usually keep it somewhat simple and just cook my spaghetti squash in the microwave, and mix it with a bit of olive oil, parm cheese, minced garlic, salt and pepper. So good...
  • AnsiStar
    AnsiStar Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Anyone know if anywhere in the UK I can get it?
  • laurenmanderson1
    laurenmanderson1 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spaghetti-Squash-I/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=spaghetti squash&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Home Page

This is a recipe I use often when I cook spaghetti squash although I substitute olive oil for vegetable oil. I also add spinach and/or mushrooms and sautee them along with the garlic and onions. It is really delicious! :smile:
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    SS is my new favorite, but they are always out at my Walmart! Every time I go and they have any, I grab one! I too cook my in the microwave, much easier and quicker for me. My most recent concoction was a cold tuna casserole! It was amazing, even my 10 year old son loved it! This is one of my favorite casseroles & I typically make it with macaroni pasta, so I though what the heck I am going to give it a try with the remaining SS we didn't eat from the night before's dinner spicy meatballs & marinara. While I was making it the hubby was like "ewwww, no that is going to be nasty!" The next day I could hardly keep him out of it! HA!
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Set the squash on a paper plate, prick all over with a fork, and microwave for 15 minutes or so. The net can tell you how long for your size of squash. cut in half, scoop out seeds and the pull strands out with fork.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I like spaghetti squash, but I perfer to mix it with thin whole wheat spaghetti. My family even eats it mixed. It improves the texture, ups their veggies and reduces my calories. I mix mine 75% squash/spaghetti and their 25% squash you can only ask so much of kids. :)
  • OtterAmber
    OtterAmber Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Ask someone in the produce department . The tags I've found all say Spaghetti Squash, and they are usually with the onions/ potatoes for whatever reason.
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Thank you all who responded! I am happy to say that I found it and I LOVE IT!!! I made mine in the microwave w/o NO problems. I will be attemping to experiment with the different recipes. I wish I had known about this earlier in my journey. But better late than never. Thanks again everyone :flowerforyou:
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I got a spaghetti squash in my last order of Bountiful Baskets. Wondering how to make it -- thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • joyce0624
    joyce0624 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I just made this for the first time today and I'm a SS convert now! This is what I have learned from my friend's Mom - who taught us everything we know about spaghetti squash (which isn't much but will get you off and running).

It is in the produce section. It resembles a small honeydew melon in shape and size. Look for one that is bright yellow - no white or green. White is old and green is too young. Don't get one too big because it might also be getting old and tough. The one I cooked was just under 2-1/2 pounds.

There is a video on you tube from danispies that will show you all about it. Wash it off and insert a knife in several locations like you do a baked potato for microwaving. Place it in a microwave safe Pyrex dish and cook it for 6 minutes per pound, turning it over mid-way. I cooked mine 6 minutes, turned, then cooked another 6 minutes. To me, this was easier than cutting it in half raw and covering it with plastic wrap and it worked great.

While it was cooking I sauteed an onion, garlic in 2 tbsp. olive oil, then added 1 cubed zucchini, and an undrained can of diced tomatoes (Italian style with garlic and basic) and let that all simmer. Let the squash cool for about 5-10 minutes after it's done cooking. Slice it down the middle long-ways and gently remove the seeds. With a fork shred the rest of it out of the skin into a large bowl. Add the onions, tomatoes, and zucchini mixture and toss with 1/2 cup feta cheese. The original recipe called for 1/3 cup of slice black olives too but I was too lazy to open the can, I didn't want the extra calories, and it tasted great without them.

Overall it was delicious and I am so going to make it again and again as well as search for other recipes. The pad Thai is mentioned several times so it may be next.
  • hharvey9
    hharvey9 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bumping to save!
  • HisKathy
    HisKathy Posts: 34
    Options
    Going to have to try these!
  • Ingraham4
    Ingraham4 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    That sounds pretty good (though I have no idea what spaghetti squash tastes like). Thanks for sharing.

I bought a spaghetti squash last night because I have been curious to try it. I happen to have all of those ingredients as well, though I'd probably swap out olive oil for sesame oil, and zucchini for cucumber. Might try it tonight :)