Courthouse wedding this afternoon!

Options
13»

Replies

• Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    too many people make it about the wedding and not the marriage. This is a start of a new life together...thats were the focus shouls be IMHO. I did the whole big shebang...it was a fun party, much better than the marriage itself...been divorced for 9 years now. Do what makes you happy...

and CONGRATS!!

tumblr_mmuoxwyXNy1qzdpr4o1_500.gif
  • J_Schmelz
    J_Schmelz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

Any friends/relatives don't like it, tell them it's your wedding and they can go all out on theirs if they wish.

However, with a wedding comes a generous portion of wedding gifts. A small gathering (reception if you will) will save you the stress of a wedding, while giving you and your friends and family a change to celebrate (and give you some gifts) this wonderful occasion.

Again, congratulations!
  • amanda8o
    amanda8o Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Me and hubby got married 12 years ago in a court house and have outlasted all our other family members who wasted money on a big wedding and then got divorced later,it's definitely a personal choice but for us we wouldn't have had it any other way! Good luck and congrats to u both!
  • Judas_Queen
    Judas_Queen Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Congratulations.

Good for you for doing what you want. Big white weddings aren't for everyone, and you certainly shouldn't do it just because other's say so!!

Have a wonderful wedding day :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I got married at the courthouse! No stress, it was perfect. That was over 15 years ago, and we're still together.
  • Phoenix24601
    Phoenix24601 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I wish I had had a courthouse wedding. Enjoy the simplicity of it just being the two of you. :)
  • Hoosier96
    Hoosier96 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    we had a big wedding and wish we hadn't. we hardly remember it (being pulled in a million different directions to talk to everyone), got one bite of food, someone took all my champagne and I got none of that either, and we so wish we had saved the money. enjoy your day, it's about the marriage anyway, not the wedding. :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    we had a big wedding and wish we hadn't. we hardly remember it (being pulled in a million different directions to talk to everyone), got one bite of food, someone took all my champagne and I got none of that either, and we so wish we had saved the money. enjoy your day, it's about the marriage anyway, not the wedding. :)

My sister had that same problem. By the time the photographer was finished, there wasn't much food left for the wedding party... other than cake. LOL!
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

You totally aren't weird and really, it's nobody's business but yours!

My husband and I got married in 2010 at a tiny chapel (run by a husband and wife team who had a chapel in Vegas before coming to Ohio) with just us, his son and son's GF at the time, my Momma, Hub's mom, and my stepfather.

We had our ceremony, went for a fancy Italian feast (we treated) at a nearby AMAZING restaurant and everyone went their separate ways. We partied with friends that night, stayed in a hotel downtown (we booked a nice room, but when they saw us in pretty clothes and asked if we were just married, they upgraded us to a swank suite) and then had a party for our whole family and friends two weeks later.

The party was open bar, some food provided by the restaurant (we had a party room with a big bar all to ourselves) and some provided by us/ family. It was totally fun and many told us it was the nicest, most down to Earth, mingly, best reception ever.

We didn't do all the regular stuff - first dance, cake cutting (we did petit fours instead), garter or bouquet tossing...we didn't want to. But we did have tons of conversation, food, drink and good times, and had photos of us through the years with our families and friends.

Simple, sincere, and what we wanted!

Best wishes to you and your new husband!! May you have many, many years of happiness, health and good fortune...
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    p.s. There is nothing wrong with a big, formal wedding, but we went to several venues that got out the "big book" with all the have-tos (you have to use this, you have to pick chair covers, you have to have this minimum, etc.) and we realized we just wanted to get married and have a party that felt like us. No regrets! I would do it again the same way tomorrow.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    First, congrats!

Second, I got married in my husband's parent's basement 20 years ago. We were just as married as anyone else and now we're still married more than some. :wink: Have a fabulous wedding, honeymoon and marriage!
  • zazielascaux
    zazielascaux Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I wanted a townhall wedding with maybe half a dozen family and friends then go to a nice restaurant. I wanted just to get a nice dress I would wear again and buy a bunch of flowers by walking into a florist on the way there. This was largely because my family is tiny and my mum had died about 18 months beforehand. I also strongly believe that you put the effort and time into the marriage and not into the wedding.

My husband wanted a church wedding, with 200 people and a ballroom and dancing and a private cinema etc etc etc

We had 20 people to a small church affair followed by a meal in a tiny castle (we had about a dozen people stay for the few days before there too). We had a follow up meal for about 20 of his family who couldn't come to the main deal and a recpetion/do for about 30 of his colleagues (champagne, cocktails, nibbles, cakes).

It was still a total logistical nightmare and bucket load of work and stress (largely for me, I used to do a job where event planning was a component, which i hated a s a job and I hated even more when it was personal). I used to keep waking up with nightmares in the run up to it. I still hated all the hoo haa on the day and got so stressed about spending so much money. My husband now regrets putting me through it, because he saw how unhappy and stressed I got over the whole thing.

If we had it over again, we would totally go the townhall route.

As we don't have it to do over again, we are going to renew our vows sometime. On a beach somewhere. Maybe Hawaii, maybe Bali. Something like that. Me and him, no one else. Very simple. on our birthday (we have the same birthday). I'm thinking next year , or the year after.
  • MaryRegs
    MaryRegs Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    blessings on you both-and cheers, for doing exactly what you want to to do!
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    My sister had a courthouse wedding

I am fine with courthouse weddings but I was very upset about this one because 14 yrs earlier when they got engaged she asked me to be her maid of honor and then they did this in 3 days and didn't tell anyone so no one but their friends where they live could go

if they had planned a courthouse wedding though I would have been all for it :)
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    also congrats and I hope that it is a great day :)
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I have NO interest in a big wedding. If I ever bother getting married, I want to go to the courthouse with just the parents and best friends present, then follow that with a "reception" in my favorite bar where everyone who wants to say congratulations has a drink with us. All the money saved will go toward an utterly luxurious honeymoon. It's great you're doing things exactly the way you want to do them... It's your wedding, not anyone else's.

And CONGRATULATIONS!! =)
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    My first wedding my now ex pushed me into going to the courthouse to get married "just to get it over with" because he wanted me to move in with him but I always regretted it. I am now planning a small, inexpensive wedding (and marriage) in my church and I am very happy about it. My purpose is not to tell you to have a big wedding or church wedding (our wedding is still going to be small) but do what works for you.

and Congrats!!!!! I know it will be a great day!!!
  • Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

I am in the process of planning my 2014 wedding right now. We're paying for everything ourselves and I have saved up $15,000. (I do a lot of saving and investing, so this is special money dedicated to wedding.) I have been doing tons of research and have realized we can either...

1) Spend the $15k on one night with about 50-100 friends and family.

2) Take 6 weeks to travel in Hawaii, Fiji, and New Zealand.

We haven't made our final decision yet. Mostly, I feel REALLY selfish wanting to spend the money on just us traveling. However, we've been to a gazzilion weddings. They are fun, of course, but also gone in a flash -- and been there, done that.

I don't know for sure what we'll end up doing, but I'm leaning toward spending the money on an adventure of a lifetime and then just having an at-home party a few weeks after we get home.

I know a lot of people will be disappointed in my decision, but I've worked really long and hard to save up this money, and I don't think I want to blow it on buffet food, flowers, and a dress for just one night of fun.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    My wife and I got married at a courthouse; skipped across state lines. It was just the two us. It was a while before her relatives found out about it. :laugh: