Advice for Pushups

Options
Hi everyone! I did a little assessment on Tuesday and found that while I can do a bunch of situps, I can't do ANY pushups. Seriously, I couldn't even do -one-.

Are there any techniques or gym equipment tips that could possibly help me promote better upper body strength? The methods I'm using clearly aren't working. My goal is to be able to do 10 pushups by mid July. :)

Replies

• pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Negatives, and wall push-ups. As you get stronger support yourself with smaller and smaller objects until you are flat on the ground.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Start doing them against a wall or work surface..once you can do them, then go on to a lower surface, say some steps then when you can do them, on your knees until you've built up strength to do them full on.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I had to start with girl push-ups. I used the Runtastic Push-up app and started at the start then worked my way up to 100 (total) girl push-ups in a session then I backed it down and started over with regular push-ups.

I also do bent over rows, lat pull downs, and assisted chin ups.
  • henriettevanittersum
    henriettevanittersum Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bump 'cause I'm in the same boat.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I agree with the advice above. A good first step may be the modified knee push-ups, though. You can do it! I used to struggle with 1, but now I can do at least 20 regular push-ups in a row.
  • Dyann_Alvarez
    Dyann_Alvarez Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bump...
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I can do 5 ... with the 5th one in pretty pitiful form. SO much easier doing the "girl" ones they hardly feel like they are the same thing. I guess I need to continue with both to see if I can up the count.

Pull ups are even more intimidating... can't even do one of those!
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    When I joined the military I could only do like three push ups...Do modified push ups (girl push ups is a really insulting thing to call them really) basically get on your knees, still assume the same form with your body as you normally would and do the push ups that way. It puts more of your body weight on your knees instead of most of it being on your arms. Alternate every once in a while and try and see how far you can get in the regular form for push ups, knock out as many as you can before you go to your knees and keep going to try and knock out as many more as you can after that. Push yourself to 'muscle failure', give your arms a rest between arm work outs is a really good idea and the go at it again. That is what got me better at push ups anyway so that I could pass my PT tests.

I've never tried the wall push ups but I'm assuming they would be helpful. I know people who were in my unit who did them that way in order to get the correct form while they were doing them as it was easier to look into a mirror and watch themselves. Just make sure you're taking care of your body, you don't want to pull any muscles :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    The majority of females I've worked with usually try to do a push up with their hands too wide and in line with their shoulders. So a couple of tips:

Get your hands in line more with your chest and start out with about a shoulder width hand placement. Start on knees first and once you can do 10, then try to do a couple on your toes. Consistency counts so practice every other day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Negatives, and wall push-ups. As you get stronger support yourself with smaller and smaller objects until you are flat on the ground.

Yep, this. The smith machine at the gym is perfect for this. do elevated pushups, and progress toward moving the bar down lower and lower. If you don't have a smith machine, anything at home works: the wall, the kitchen counter, stairs. I think doing elevated pushups helps you progress toward full pushups better than the knee ones do; you keep the proper angle and engage the core.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I did a little assessment on Tuesday and found that while I can do a bunch of situps, I can't do ANY pushups. Seriously, I couldn't even do -one-.

Are there any techniques or gym equipment tips that could possibly help me promote better upper body strength? The methods I'm using clearly aren't working. My goal is to be able to do 10 pushups by mid July. :)

I also have trouble doing them.....
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I am terrible at pushups. I can do a few,but they hurt my wrists like crazy. Thanks for the post. I will have to remember to keep my eye on it for future tips!
  • sweetzoejane
    sweetzoejane Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do them on your knees. They have never been helpful for me.

I have been doing incline push ups and they seem to have helped quite a bit - http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/BWInclinePushup.html

You can use a bench or risers or the wall even. I do mine in the rack with the barbell since I can adjust the height lower and lower as I get stronger.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    The majority of females I've worked with usually try to do a push up with their hands too wide and in line with their shoulders. So a couple of tips:

Get your hands in line more with your chest and start out with about a shoulder width hand placement. Start on knees first and once you can do 10, then try to do a couple on your toes. Consistency counts so practice every other day.

IDEA Fitness member

In addition to this, I would suggest you get some push up bars...it will help save your wrists. Most girls I know have weak wrists and regular pushups tend to give them pain in their wrists.
  • 007FatSlayer
    007FatSlayer Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Any chest/shoulder machines will help... Bench press, bench press machine, and if you're trying to do the tricep push ups, then of course if you work out your triceps, it will help. Also, when you do push ups it requires core stabilization, so the plank will also help. You don't necessarily have to do push ups to be able to get better at doing push ups... I don't do them unless I absolutely have to, I only use weights to help with push ups (I can currently do 55 "real" push ups)

- Chest and shoulder exercises
    - Tricep exercises
    - Core exercises

:smile:
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Thanks for these tips!! I can do about 12 or so on my knees. Can't do too many on my toes yet.
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    bump because I suck at push-ups and need the tips!
  • mbz0616
    mbz0616 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Try keeping your elbows close to your body rather than pointing out. - you'll get better leverage. Video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwRLWMcOdwI
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I don't see that you're doing any chest work. Add dumbbell chest presses and/or bench press to your workouts. Cable crossovers and dumbbell flyes would be good too.

I agree with above posters who suggested doing raised pushups (using smith machine) and lowering the bar as they become easier.

What are you calling "lateral arm raise, machine" in your exercise log? Why are you doing 15 sets?! If you're looking for overall strength, try NROLFW or find a program on bodybuilding.com.
  • Colliex3
    Colliex3 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I know this may sound dumb but Ive been looking up workouts to teach my sisters (teens) to help them get more active.. The basics for push ups were do 3 sets of as many as you can with 60sec rest in between each set and do that 3x a week to were you should be able to build yourself up to 30 consecutive push-ups. It might help.