$100 for a pair of jeans..would you do it?

Options
Now, I am a poor cat who does not typically spend allot of cash on clothes. I know many do and I totally respect the logic behind it, a.k.a feeling good in your clothes IS worth the money. However my upbringing has me in a mindset where it almost makes me physically ill to drop a large amount of cash on clothing. Even when I save up in advance I still find myself thinking I should be spending it on something more practical.

That said, a brand of jeans have waltzed into my life and I really want a pair. They start at $100 a pop and I keep debating with myself over it. Thoughts like this circle through my brain: "$100! WTF I do not want a pair of those. Oh-but they are like an instant butt lift I soooo DO want a pair. When I hit gw this will be my reward. Something practical would be more rewarding. Stop thinking about those dumb jeans.They are not dumb.." (yes, I have considered Schizophrenia)

Anyway, would you buy them or do something practical with the cash?

Replies

• rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Why not?!?! Something that you want that bad, go for it!!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Practical. I don't think I've ever paid more than about $29 for jeans. I couldn't spend $100 on one item of clothing anyway. If you can afford them and they look great, though, go for it.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    it depends! you know your budget.

maybe you could work extra hours just for the jeans, and then voila you can get them without guilt coz you earned em.

but if you went in debt and didn't pay your rent but bought jeans instead, thats not a good idea.
  • henriettevanittersum
    henriettevanittersum Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I usually wait for a Groupon for designer jeans... but that does depend on where you live and what's available. I say, go for it. A splurge every know and then is good for morale!
  • daisymae850
    daisymae850 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'd say buy the jeans :)
  • shezzzzz
    shezzzzz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I live more frugally than almost everyone I know, and have read a lot about minimal spending / expenses.

We all have to find where we get the most satisfaction from what we spend (just like calories).

Are the jeans good quality, or just over priced? Will you still have then 5 years from now?

I have spent over $100 on a shirt before, but 10 years later I am still wearing it, the color has not faded and the fit is still good. There are a ton of cheap shirts I have bought, worn, and thrown out since then. Everything has a place in your wardrobe, will you still be happy with them a few years from now?

Buy a few good quality staple pieces that will last you years, and keep it looking fresh with some cheaper "throw-away" pieces.
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Now, I am a poor cat .
    This is what would make me advise you not to pay that much for a pair of jeans. If you can afford them, it's one thing, but don't go into debt for a pair of jeans.

I have spent that much, but not during my "poor days".
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    You are super close to your goal weight. I would make them a reward when you get there, that way they won't be too big in a couple months!
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    There is place called forever21 where I can get 5 pairs with that money lol. So for me no but am a guy what do i know.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    A great reward for goal. But check ebay first, see if you can find them cheaper :-)
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    also being a poor cat, I would advise against it. Maybe set some aside until you have enough to buy them AFTER you've paid all of your bills. Me, personally, I'd take that $100 and go grocery shopping.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    There is place called forever21 where I can get 5 pairs with that money lol. So for me no but am a guy what do i know.

and a place here called Ross where I bought what are now my FAVORITE pair of jeans in the world for like $13.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    We buy a pair of 110$ every 6-9 months for my husband. He's 6'6" and slender, they are the only ones that look good on him. But he wears A LOT.

So for 110$ for 6-9 months it's worth the cost per wear.

I buy jeans 30-40$ but have a few pairs i switch between, if I found a pair that fit me perfect and flattered me even if they were 100$ i'd buy 'em in a heart beat.
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    Practical? We are talking about looking great in a pair of jeans! Come on that is MAGICAL! Forget practical!

Why do I say that?
    Because you will wear those jeans and look amazing. You will feel amazing. You will be excited and exercise harder and stay within your calorie goals because of those jeans. You will even get to goal weight sooner.

Don't wait for goal weight girlfriend, make goal weight come to you!

Time to go shopping.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Nope. Especially since they'll be out of fashion in like 10 minutes....
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    My absolute limit on jeans is $50
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Well, you are waiting for goal weight...........smarter than me!!! Back in Nov., before MFP, my daughter talked me into buying a pair of skinny jeans...............j. crew...........more than I ever spent. Started MFP mid-Jan. and now, 25lbs. later, they just fall off and they sure aren't "skinny" on me anymore........have them on a pile for the consignment store!!!

I would say go for it.......they are jeans, you'll get a lot of wear out of them, and it will be an excellent reason not to gain any weight back!!!!
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    yes i would...and you should too...especially if it's a reward for a job well done. You deserve it!!!
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, the more expensive option is the better choice, long term. Ill-fitting, thin, cheap material for $9.95 that wears out in 6 months vs. something that fits well, made from decent material, and wears well for a decade? The expensive one would be the frugal option in that case.

For me, it's with footwear. I'd rather buy a pair of Docs or Fluevogs (AND can be re-soled by a cobbler for a decent price when DO you wear down the soles) that I know will survive 10+ years of abuse than buy some crap from Payless...
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I would never spend that on jeans!