Overcoming My Fear Of The Swimsuit

Options

Replies

• Port47
    Port47 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Your smilie says it all,and look at you go in the water! Congrats ! :flowerforyou: :drinker: Oh, great job on your weight loss!
  • MrsJ1105
    MrsJ1105 Posts: 34
    Options
    You look SO happy! I am so happy for you, oh my gosh. Congrats on your weight loss, can't wait to see the other suits :-)
  • lcransaw
    lcransaw Posts: 95
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! So glad you conquered your fear and enjoyed your swim!
  • KatC_88
    KatC_88 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! SO happy for you and congratulations!!! You should be very proud of your self!

AMAZING STORY!!!!!
  • spokenword2000
    spokenword2000 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Now you don't have to be afraid anymore, you just have to decide which swimsuit to wear :smile:
  • Balance_Breathe
    Options
    [/quote]
    If this was a private pool and we were alone, I have a feeling that we both would have been skinny dipping and more. Unfortunately, that kind of behavior would get us banned from this community pool for seniors.
    [/quote]

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!! I love you guys!! (I need an Ed of my own!) :drinker:

I was going to suggest that maybe swimming was a kind of spiritual experience, as you felt "lifted up" by the water, but... ahem... apparently it was a more physical than spiritual experience! :laugh:

It's great to know that "a man of the cloth" can still happily enjoy his physical nature and his sense of humor!
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    The close up picture of you with your shades made me grin. You rock!!!
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    My hubbie Ed just called. He will be home shortly...and asked, if 'Mama' wanted to go swimming again. Mama is his nickname for me. The answer was an enthusiastic YES!

I am going to put on the other swimsuit that came in the mail yesterday. I am also going to do something even more courageous. I am going to have Ed take some photos of me in that suit...and OUT OF THE WATER...not wrapped up in a towel. It is time to reveal the 'real me' in a photo, not just bit and pieces.

I like the fact that the water gives the illusion of a skinny me, when I am under the surface; but truth is important. I don't want anyone to misunderstand my real size. There are too many of my MFP friends who are just like me...older and carrying weight in some not so easy to hide places.

One day, these 'before photos' might help me to help someone else.
  • Balance_Breathe
    Options
    If this thread is any indication, you are already helping a lot of people, even women much younger. A few even wrote, "moved me to tears." So BRAVO to your bravery-- just imagine us all giving you a standing ovation, and enjoy the water today! Can't wait to see the new suit!
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to see the new suit!

I couldn't believe how good I look in this swimsuit. It really does 'cover a multitude of sins'. I know how to dress to hide 'the worst parts of my body'. I have done it for years.

The before photos must include one that reveals my whole body from the shoulder down...with some obvious modesty. I am still a pastor's wife. This will no be X-Rated, but it will be honest.

I have lost more than 50 pounds; and the bags between my thighs, my large upper arms and my now deflating abdomen show that change. However, there is still a LOT OF ME at 219 pounds.
  • Balance_Breathe
    Options
    Well, no worries. I'm going to create a garment that you can slip on and attach to a vacuum cleaner and it will make skin as smooth and taut as a 16-year-old.

I WISH.

I could definitely use a machine like that, though, and even more so once I've lost weight!
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Thank you for making me smile :) Beautiful post!
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    Yes, I am the lady who did the blog entitled 'Fear of A Swimsuit'. I was so afraid of having my plus size body exposed to the world in a swimsuit. I thought that it might cause nightmares for some folks and laughter or rude comments from others. Either way, it was a scary proposition for me. :noway:

Here is a link to that blog, if you are interested. It might speak to other folks with a fear of putting on a swimsuit for the first time in years.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Hanfordrose/view/terrified-of-a-swimsuit-540709

Well, this old girl finally took the plunge. Today, the first of 3 (yes THREE) swimsuits arrived in the mail; and it FITS. That was all that I needed. I put my 219 pound body into that new black swimdress and panties. Even though my upper arms are huge, and my thighs are fat and sagging...even though I am 68 years old and live most of my life sitting in a wheelchair...today I went swimming.

After more than 16 years, I got into a swimming pool...in my brand new swimdress; and I didn't care who saw me. That first moment in the water was priceless.

06-12-13FirstTimeinthePool01_zpsbc4c18cd.jpg?t=1371080169

I couldn't believe the freedom that I felt in the water.

06-12-13FirstTimeinthePool02_zps36f9789a.jpg?t=1371080287

The water felt so good on a hot day.

06-12-13FirstTimeinthePool03_zpse87c08e0.jpg?t=1371080280

I back stroked and breast stroked for more than 30 minutes; and amazingly, I had no pain in my worn out knees with all that effort. The water gave me the opportunity to move freely without taking any weight on my knees. This was an unbelievable feeling, after so long in wheelchair or only using a walker with pain.

This was truly a gift from God.

06-12-13FirstTimeinthePool04_zpsb4007a93.jpg?t=1371080272

After 45 minutes of swimming and some stretching in the pool, my hubbie and I took a dip in the spa to warm our old bones, before heading home. Of course, he had to get one picture of Mama wrapped up in a towel.

06-12-13FirstTimeinthePool05_zps60b70f4f.jpg?t=1371080304

This is one wet but very happy lady today. I will be returning to the pool as much as I can during this hot summer in the high desert. After all, I have 2 more swimsuits coming in the mail and no more fear of wearing them.

06-12-13FirstTimeinthePool06_zps6bb7741d.jpg?t=1371080262

...and here is the man who made it all possible...the love of my life...my sweetheart...my amazing hubbie Ed...Pastor Special Ed to those who know him and love him.

06-12-13FirstTimeinthePool07_zpsff7afd9f.jpg?t=1371080295

Ed told me that he had been looking forward to this day. He even said that going to the pool was 'way more fun with Mama' than by himself....perhaps, because he got to try and dunk me once. Of course, he failed. Mama is a much better swimmer, and I still out-weighs him...but not for long. :wink:

congratulations :) I have just started swimming again - though unlike you I haven't really lost much :) But I figure if other's have a problem with how I look in my bathing suit it is their problem not mine and I need the damn workout lol :)

I used to swim competitively and I MISSED the water so much :) Plus I can burn SO many calories in an hour just by swimming 2-3km
  • ChaoticMiNd
    ChaoticMiNd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Awwww Yayy I am so happy for you congrats on the success!
  • nicolej1016
    nicolej1016 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You are beautiful...inside and out! I am so very, very happy for you!
  • watercolormama
    watercolormama Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Oh this makes my heart happy for you......your smile says it all. Keep it up....I really admire those who are older (I'm not exactly a young chick at 61) who stay active. I would be rooting for you if I saw you at the pool. :)
  • aidensanma
    aidensanma Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and so happy for you :)
  • Kreider86
    Kreider86 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    That is soooo great that u were able to get in that water. I can relate..hate those swimsuits. You two are such a cute couple and that's so sweet of him to be so helpful and supportive. You look like u had a blast! Keep it up :flowerforyou:
  • Mexi1Rose2
    Options
    How wonderful! It looked like you had a blast! Keep it up, you joints will love you for it! :happy:
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I love this! What a brilliant couple!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!