Gym owner won't let me sign up?

Options

Replies

• Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    It's all about liability issues. The gym is partially correct. They do have the right to refuse membership if its dangerous. Having said that, the person at the gym is not a M.D. So they should have said that if you see a doctor and get medical clearance they will allow you to join.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I honestly feel a little uncomfortable with people who have obvious eating disorders going crazy on the elliptical, and I wonder why the gyms allow it. So I'm pretty sympathetic to the gym owner that said no way. However, I think this would be a different conversation altogether if we were talking about an obese person who wasn't allowed to join a gym because of a health risk.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I have not read all the other responses but have you tried maybe getting some weight equipment for the home as a starting point?
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Ectomorph or not, anyone who is 5'7" and weighs 97 lbs is emaciated. How much weight should you gain before the gym owner will let you join? Ask him.
  • RobynLB83
    Options
    My point is that in AMERICA we have freedom.

Did you fail government class? You have the FREEDOM to speak your mind, to practice or not practice religion, etc., without the threat of punishment by the government. You do NOT have the freedom to work out in someone else's gym, any more than you have the freedom to walk into someone else's home and eat their food.

Actually access to private businesses comes under the commerce clause of the constitution. Hence, black people can't be kicked out of restaurants anymore.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who has an eating disorder (not your story, but follow me). Many gym members complain that she should be banned because she is in danger of harming herself. In reality, these uneducated buffoons are uncomfortable looking at her and taking out their own insecurities on her without knowing her full situation. Anyway, even IF the gym denied her a membership she'd go somewhere else. It's her right, so they take her money and allow her membership. This owner is a fool. It sounds like discrimination even though it is under the guise of "your best interest". i'd give someone else my $. Screw him.

I know right. I love it when my customers pass out with hundreds of lbs of weight over their head because they have an eating disorder and because they don't have enough strength to pull something like this. Screw my business and the liability your ED brings, I just wanna make sure that you know that I'm jealous of your awesome ED!!!!!!!

I would, like, totally wanna BFF and personally train you if you had a huge thigh gap.

LMAO

Hey, taunto...
    you clearly misunderstood my post. I worry about my friend. She knows she has an issue. She works out "for her head". She doesn't have or want a personal trainer and you are about as bright as the other members who prejudge without all the info. I bet you'd deny an obese person a seat next to you on aspin bike because they might sweat all over you. My point is that in AMERICA we have freedom. If my friend wants to die on a cardio machine itis her right and the gym can stil make her membership dues. Ethical or not. Everyone is so perfect and critical. Sorry I even bothered. I guess you are on MFP because you are just PERFECT. perfectly closed minded.

Oh yay there goes the freedom aspect - of which also a business owner also has the RIGHT to refuse service (yes that includes gyms). But I do not recall the freedom to work out as part of our freedoms.

ETA: The commerce portion - it would be on the part of the person filing the claim that they were discriminated against. Good luck with that, because you can say, "They wouldn't serve me because I am purple" , but you have to prove that was the reason they did. They could easily say "XYZ" . The burden of proof would be on you, and that is not as easy as one would think. Besides, businesses still have the RIGHT to refuse service to anyone.

OP- I totally agree with Taunto and the others who say seek a Drs help.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    http://foxhoundstudio.com/blog/fitness-lifestyle/bony-to-beastly-is-officially-in-beta/

Ignoring the hair, this may be a good place to look. (Ok, I can't ignore that hair. WTF?!)
  • luckyroot
    luckyroot Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Haven't read all the posts, so this may have been mentioned already, but see a doctor and get a health checkup. Doctor might be able to help you gain weight. At the very least, if doctor finds you healthy - he/she may give you a note clearing you to be healthy to work out in a gym, which might be sufficient for the gym owner? Dunno but worth a try!

Good luck!
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options

Did you fail government class? You have the FREEDOM to speak your mind, to practice or not practice religion, etc., without the threat of punishment by the government. You do NOT have the freedom to work out in someone else's gym, any more than you have the freedom to walk into someone else's home and eat their food.

Actually access to private businesses comes under the commerce clause of the constitution. Hence, black people can't be kicked out of restaurants anymore.

But any business can refuse you service...
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I think the gym owner is right to refuse you membership at this point. Like others have said, go see your doctor and get his or her opinion on your health and low bodyweight. I think if you had a doctor's recommendation/clearance to lift weights, the gym owner might feel a bit differently. Can't blame the guy for being concerned with health and safety at his gym....
  • RobynLB83
    Options
    I have a friend who has an eating disorder (not your story, but follow me). Many gym members complain that she should be banned because she is in danger of harming herself. In reality, these uneducated buffoons are uncomfortable looking at her and taking out their own insecurities on her without knowing her full situation. Anyway, even IF the gym denied her a membership she'd go somewhere else. It's her right, so they take her money and allow her membership. This owner is a fool. It sounds like discrimination even though it is under the guise of "your best interest". i'd give someone else my $. Screw him.

I know right. I love it when my customers pass out with hundreds of lbs of weight over their head because they have an eating disorder and because they don't have enough strength to pull something like this. Screw my business and the liability your ED brings, I just wanna make sure that you know that I'm jealous of your awesome ED!!!!!!!

I would, like, totally wanna BFF and personally train you if you had a huge thigh gap.

LMAO

Hey, taunto...
    you clearly misunderstood my post. I worry about my friend. She knows she has an issue. She works out "for her head". She doesn't have or want a personal trainer and you are about as bright as the other members who prejudge without all the info. I bet you'd deny an obese person a seat next to you on aspin bike because they might sweat all over you. My point is that in AMERICA we have freedom. If my friend wants to die on a cardio machine itis her right and the gym can stil make her membership dues. Ethical or not. Everyone is so perfect and critical. Sorry I even bothered. I guess you are on MFP because you are just PERFECT. perfectly closed minded.

Oh yay there goes the freedom aspect - of which also a business owner also has the RIGHT to refuse service (yes that includes gyms). But I do not recall the freedom to work out as part of our freedoms.

ETA: The commerce portion - it would be on the part of the person filing the claim that they were discriminated against. Good luck with that, because you can say, "They wouldn't serve me because I am purple" , but you have to prove that was the reason they did. They could easily say "XYZ" . The burden of proof would be on you, and that is not as easy as one would think. Besides, businesses still have the RIGHT to refuse service to anyone.

OP- I totally agree with Taunto and the others who say seek a Drs help.

I didn't say the commerce clause would ACTUALLY apply in this circumstance. It was just that somebody got all uppity about the constitution who obviously hasn't read it beyond the bill of rights. Note also, there are constitutional protections beyond the bill of rights... hello 14th Amendment. None of which apply to this set of facts. I just thought that person was annoying.
  • RobynLB83
    Options

Any business can't refuse you service for any reason. Again: think civil rights, lunch counter strikes, "no blacks" signs. Ehhhh... this is so besides the point of this post. Never mind.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    My point is that in AMERICA we have freedom. If my friend wants to die on a cardio machine itis her right and the gym can stil make her membership dues. Ethical or not. Everyone is so perfect and critical. Sorry I even bothered. I guess you are on MFP because you are just PERFECT. perfectly closed minded.
    No, we don't. We have liberty, not freedom. There is a huge difference.

And beyond that, the right to force a gym to let me work out there despite obvious physical risk or against the gym's policy isn't one of the rights guaranteed to me under Constitution or by Amendment.
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options

Any business can't refuse you service for any reason. Again: think civil rights, lunch counter strikes, "no blacks" signs. Ehhhh... this is so besides the point of this post. Never mind.

They aren't refusing him for any of those reasons they're refusing him because he's a liability which they CAN do.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    what should i do?

Eat more.
  • RobynLB83
    Options

They aren't refusing him for any of those reasons they're refusing him because he's a liability which they CAN do.

I know. That's why I said it was BESIDES THE POINT. ****ing read before you comment. Thanks.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

a black person isn't going to die on a treadmill because they're black. a dangerously unhealthy person doing unhealthy practices in a gym is a serious insurance liability, and thus the gym owner has a right to deny access.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    In addition you might want to watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeeFrcvt3KA

I think you will find the experiences of the participants will shed light on your issues.

As before, you need to eat more, consistently as said.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I've recently tried joining this gym that's the only gym local to me, I wanted to begin a lifting programme and put on some size and gain some muscle mass. Take into account I find it very very hard to put weight on, anyway when I went into the gym and told the manager what my goals was he took some measurements and did a little exam on me and weighed me and stuff and told me that my weight was dangerously low to be messing with weight's and basically said i wasn't healthy.. yet he knowns nothing about my struggles in that part of my life. anyway he told me i weighed 97-98 pounds and i'm 5ft 7 (18 years old) and i myself couldn't believe that i was that low? before you say I'm anoreix or crap like that I'm not, I'm an ectomorph and I eat anywhere from 3000-3500 calories a day and that used to consist of milk shakes/cookies/harbio's/jaffa cakes/cakes/chocolate/energy drinks all sorts of crap, but I've cleaned up my diet now to fresh fruits/veg/lean meats/ complex carbs (brown rice) and calorie dense foods like almond butter/nuts/olive oil/porridge. what should i do? should i just stay at home and try and put weight on if i can and see if he let's me join? how much weight should i gain before he let's me use his gym?
    i like this gym owner! he's doing the responsible thing.

my advice? if your doctor will write a note stating that s/he believes it is good & safe for you to excersise, go back and offer to sign a disclaimer that if you suffer ill health you do not hold his gym responsible.

gotta respect the gym for doing this. he's giving up your gym fees.
  • RobynLB83
    Options

a black person isn't going to die on a treadmill because they're black. a dangerously unhealthy person doing unhealthy practices in a gym is a serious insurance liability, and thus the gym owner has a right to deny access.

For the third time. My point wasn't that the constitution allows this person to work out in this gym. It was simply that the person making comments about the constitution was making incorrect comments.