What strength training/Lifting Program do YOU use?!

Options

Replies

• lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I completed LiveFit last year and saw huge gains in both strength and LBM. There's a little more info on my profile if you're interested. I'm not following a program now, just doing my own thing, but much of what I do now is taken from LiveFit. I followed the diet pretty closely and I know that is hugely important, but it almost made me obsessive over food to the point that I felt extreme guilt over a cheat meal every couple weeks. There was NO moderation in the program at all (I suppose I could have relaxed on the nutrition portion). Phases 2 and 3 are VERY time consuming and were taking me about 1.5 hours per day/6 days per week. I have to say though, it was a great program and I no doubt I'm in the best shape of my life at age 32!!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'll join that! Especially if part of the PinkLift program also includes eating PinkBerry :smile:
    That's our first marketing tie-in. Though my wife hates pink and I know she is not alone.
    Well maybe we can make it a badass hot pink with zebra stripes or a skull and crossbones.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    New Rules!! ALmost have done them all except the original and the new supercharged LOVE THEM!
  • rachelilb
    rachelilb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Nia Shanks KISS Total Body. I love it !
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I am glad the OP posted this! I have been wanting to know myself - wanting to start lifing and not knowing where to start - many great answers and good references! :)
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    i use all of the compound lifts in strong lifts but I have also added accessory work.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I'm currently using Wendler 5/3/1 plus Big But Boring. It's more effective for an intermediate lifter.
    I wouldn't recommend it for a total beginner / someone who is used to things like chalean or p90x.

but you asked so.

I really love it so far. In and out of the weight room in about an hour, 4 days a week.

Really loved the 5 sets of 10 deadlifts @ 135 yesterday. Hoooooah!

you can get an outline at strstd.com

I do the same. Sometimes I add in additional accessory lifts.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    stronglifts 5x5. i'm a 23 year old female, started last december. 3x a week.

just a few minutes ago i was admiring my cut physique! oblique ab lines, tight waist, some guns, and clear muscles when I flex my legs.

i love lifting.

I started Strong Lifts 3 weeks ago and love it. There's a group here for women doing it. I like that's it's simple (not easy)...just 3 compound lifts per workout. I can feel a difference already in my progress.

Separately, I do run 3 days a week-9 to 20 miles a week. Training for a 10k and half-marathon later this year.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I'll join that! Especially if part of the PinkLift program also includes eating PinkBerry :smile:
    That's our first marketing tie-in. Though my wife hates pink and I know she is not alone.
    Well maybe we can make it a badass hot pink with zebra stripes or a skull and crossbones.

3 things.

1) Gallon of pinkberry a day. (GOPAD instead of GOMAD.)
    2) Pink is ironic, to break down gender stereotypes.
    3) Once a month you take a 3 day deload cycle, have a good cry after each workout, and get a gallon of ice cream. Also, you don't have to weigh in that week.
  • brandiuntz
    Options
    Question for those doing stronglifts - do you go to the gym? We can't afford a gym right now and the heaviest weight I have are 10lb dumbbells. Is there anyone strength training at home and if so, what weights are you using? Thought about buying those adjustable one's but they are expensive!

I went ahead and invested in the equipment you need at home to do this program ( I don't like gyms and felt it was worth the money to build my own gym):

Olympic barbell and 300lb weight set
    Flat bench
    Power squat rack.

The Strong Lifts program can't really be done with dumb bells, though I know there are plenty of other programs that make great use of dumb bells.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options

It amazes me how many women do Stronglifts and how completely Mehdi ignores them. He's leaving a ton of money on the table by focusing on men and excluding women.

Seriously, he is a jerk. I unsubscribed from his email list.
    lol so did I - too much ranting...

doing NROL4W for now, thinking of changing the routine a bit and make it my own. i also didn't want to give up running, so i run one day, lift the next, rest when needed...
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

3 things.

1) Gallon of pinkberry a day. (GOPAD instead of GOMAD.)
    2) Pink is ironic, to break down gender stereotypes.
    3) Once a month you take a 3 day deload cycle, have a good cry after each workout, and get a gallon of ice cream. Also, you don't have to weigh in that week.

Hahaha, I love this! #3 is so perfect.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Question for those doing stronglifts - do you go to the gym? We can't afford a gym right now and the heaviest weight I have are 10lb dumbbells. Is there anyone strength training at home and if so, what weights are you using? Thought about buying those adjustable one's but they are expensive!

I bought an inexpensive bench and barbell set at Sears. and added more plates as needed. If I was going to do it over again, I would have been more patient about looking on craigslist for used weights and bench, because the bench I got doesn't quite "fit" me. It's a tad too high, and the uprights are a little too close together. I can still get the job done, though, and that's all that counts.

Also, I don't think I ever read any of Mehdi's emails or PDFs anyway. I downloaded the spreadsheet, and just went by the group on here.
  • barbie1000
    barbie1000 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    OK, feeling foolish. What are stronglifts? I'd appreciate knowing; thanks.
  • brandiuntz
    Options
    OK, feeling foolish. What are stronglifts? I'd appreciate knowing; thanks.

It's a specific weightlifting program. You can get the PDF of the program for free here:

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

There's also a group here of women that do/did the program. They have a fantastic summary of it. I didn't even finish the PDF, just check with the summary to get myself started.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • Raeontherun
    Raeontherun Posts: 107 Member
    Options

It amazes me how many women do Stronglifts and how completely Mehdi ignores them. He's leaving a ton of money on the table by focusing on men and excluding women.

Exactly!!! I had to block his annoying emails too
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I do the Funcercize Beginners Workout with trainer Sunshine and I love it, but I also lift much heavier stuff ( hay bales, feed sacks, bags of mulch, pitchforkfuls of manure) as daily living.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I generally work a push/pull/lower split. cardio twice a week, PRs every month or two. The question is not what lifting regimen you use, but rather what lifting regimen you can surely and quickly progress upon.

i care almost zero about compound vs isolation. as long as progression reigns.
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I read Sronglifts, then started with New Rules. Currently I am doing Bret Contreras Strong Curves program. It consists of squat, DL, OHP, bench, and rows with glute-specific lifts like hip thrusts and glute lifts. It is actually not as complicated as some of the New Rules books.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend You Are Your Own Gym (YAYOG) by Mark Lauren. There is a book and an app for the phone that goes with it. After following it for 4 months, I cannot imagine myself ever going to the gym again or ever buying any weights. Your body and its own weight is the best tool you can use. It has completely transformed my body which I never achieved before while going to Body Pump, lifting heavy weights, etc. It's also only around 30 minutes a day 4-5 days a week.

I'm with you on this one. As a practitioner of Yoga, I find machines and free weights even just do not train my muscles in the way I need them for yoga poses that are off centre - one legged poses etc - or hand balances (Crow, Handstand etc). I need a combination of strength and employment of the central nervous system that will enable me to handle my own bodyweight rather than an eternal resistance.

Each to their own and the right tool for the job.