Cto5k

Options
2»

Replies

• eggyeaster13
    eggyeaster13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making the first steps into the C25K program! I just finished week 2 and I can't think of any better advice than go get fitted for proper running shoes, its a simple process really and doesn't take very long but really helps out. I got fitted for running shoes and a friend of mine didn't my friend has ended up injuring herself because her shoes were not supporting her over pronation! I also recommend if you haven't already getting a good sports bra too! it makes life a lot easier especially when the running sections get longer!

The only other advice I have is pace yourself, you'll find that life is a little easier if you just slow down! I made the mistake of heading out too fast on one of my week 2 runs and I regretted it and had to mentally talk myself into not giving up and to pushing through the ache! Since I paced myself on the other 2 runs I found I am no longer out of breath and am actually more relaxed.

I'm sure you'll be running around in no time!
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,157 Member
    Options
    As someone also not sporty, let me chime in on the importance of correct shoes. I was getting bad shin splints, they bothered me more than dragging my obese self down the sidewalk and trying to breathe. I went to a running store, got measured, they watched me walk and run, suggested options, watched me walk and run in those and the pair I ended up with is great. Now the shin pain, if any, is minimal and only when I run too fast.

There's a great C25K group on here, I've gotten lots of great advice with my questions and there's lots of support. Everyone is at different levels in the program and it's fun to see what's ahead of me and how other people are doing with it.
  • nobleammonite
    nobleammonite Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    See if you can at least go into a store and try on different brands/styles, then check out http://sierratradingpost.com/

They have "older models" and other clearance type stuff at deep discounts, and you can usually add a 25-35% promo discount on top of that. I paid $45-50 for a pair of shoes regularly priced $100. Their returns are pretty simple - I returned a pair that didn't fit me well and it was painless.

I paid $40-something at a local non-running shoe store for the old pair of shoes that I had. So I think it was a pretty good deal.

Also make sure not to land on your heels! Midfoot strike all the way.
  • nhradeuce
    nhradeuce Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    1) It's going to hurt for a while, even with good shoes. It's going to take your body a while to get used to moving.

2) Good running shoes will help a bunch. Get fitted at a running store then buy online if you don't want to pay top dollar.
  • LizLearnstoRun
    LizLearnstoRun Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i just started week 4 and the pain is way better so maybe it was just kind of a growing pain :) I have found i like running out side way better than an inside on a track or treadmill