Morning Workouts - Does anyone else hate them?

Options

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I've read that people are supposed to do morning cardio on an empty stomach, but that doesn't seem to be working for me.
    I don't have any problems working out without food in the morning, but if I am starving I might grab an olive or cheese stick. Look at what you're eating the night before and see if different things make any difference, but nothing says you have to workout in the morning if it doesn't suit you.

I only do morning workouts on weekends, as I don't like getting up so early before work but as it gets hotter I might have to reevaluate (it was 100 yesterday afternoon - I ended up at the gym).

If you think one olive is satisfying...

...you should try *two* olives.

Three or go home.

olive1mu3.gif

Three?

Pshaw. Rookie.

4o_Header.jpg

olive_gif.gif

This. Is. Madness!

12336886-silhouette-of-black-and-green-olives-branch.jpg

orchard_olives7-10.JPG

00403005.jpg

What did you do at work today, Dad?

Well, I spent part of the afternoon counting olives.

olives.jpg
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Working out on an empty stomach depends on the person. Sounds like you might be better off trying to eat something before hand. I personally cannot eat anything before a work out or I get really nauseous, so I always wake up, do my work-out, then eat afterwards. Try eating something before going out in the morning. :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    I never understood the workout on an empty stomach thing...especially first thing in the morning when you have the least amount of blood glucose available...it takes time to convert fat to energy so no wonder you were light headed!

I love working out in the morning except when my knees are acting up (early arthritis) but I always make sure I have something to eat to fuel my workout. Usually a protein shake with a banana for the potassium. I always burn more than I consumed but the small meal give me the energy to finish a decent workout. Without it I wouldn't last fifteen minutes! :)

I have never had an issue doing even long periods of exercise after a nights sleep, and even hours more without eating. I have biked at a fairly rapid pace for 2 hours from about 10AM-12PM not having eaten since the supper the day before. There is still lots of qlucose left stored in muscles and liver to allow for time to start using the stored fat. Of course for some people their experience will be different for various reasons.

As to the OP's question. I am not much of a morning workout person, but I have come to like it. This was sort of a necessity since exercising at night keeps me from falling asleep. It took me a while to get used to it, but now I don't mind it. It actually gets me going at times when I am feeling sluggish.
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person. I have never even tried working out in the morning. I've thought about it...while I lay all comfy in my bed until I have to get ready for work. I generally don't work out till 7-8 at night.

I am the same way!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I've read that people are supposed to do morning cardio on an empty stomach, but that doesn't seem to be working for me.
    I don't have any problems working out without food in the morning, but if I am starving I might grab an olive or cheese stick. Look at what you're eating the night before and see if different things make any difference, but nothing says you have to workout in the morning if it doesn't suit you.

I only do morning workouts on weekends, as I don't like getting up so early before work but as it gets hotter I might have to reevaluate (it was 100 yesterday afternoon - I ended up at the gym).

If you think one olive is satisfying...

...you should try *two* olives.

Three or go home.

olive1mu3.gif

Three?

Pshaw. Rookie.

4o_Header.jpg

olive_gif.gif

This. Is. Madness!

12336886-silhouette-of-black-and-green-olives-branch.jpg

orchard_olives7-10.JPG

00403005.jpg

What did you do at work today, Dad?

Well, I spent part of the afternoon counting olives.

olives.jpg

IMG_5154.JPG

THE END
  • Sactown900
    Sactown900 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Did for 25 years. Just can't not with work.
  • beckizzle
    beckizzle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5.30, get ready, drive to the city, do high altitude circuit, (1 hr class), have a nice shower at the gym and be at my desk by 8.30... Im so pumped and vibrant for the whole day after my early workout.

The first time I did it, it was so hard, I hadn't eaten a thing, felt like I was either going to pass out or puke... but the trainer had oranges there so I ate some of those.

I still go on an empty stomach, but just as I'm going to bed, the night before, I have a quick high protein snack, like left over meat from dinner or a boiled egg.

Then I have a protein shake straight after my workout (I use Sunwarrior Vanilla Classic Blend).

I find this works really well for me :-)
  • bara_rei
    bara_rei Posts: 49
    Options
    I personally love them, but I didn't at first. At the start of Jan, I decided I was going to start working out in the morning to make sure I got my workout in. I started Rockin Body because I knew there was no way I was going to make it to the gym and back or run in the middle of winter. It sucked, straight up. I was always tired, I hate getting up before the sun, I just wanted to go back to sleep. (I'm one of those don't talk to me before I've had my coffee because I'm incoherent type of people.)

I stuck to it though, and now, 6 months later, I'm on to my 4th month of Turbo Fire and I love working out in the morning now. Weirdly enough, I now have more energy for the whole day when I exercise than when I don't, even when I have to get up early to do it. It also gets it out of the way, the rest of my house isn't up yet, and it's really my only guaranteed me time.

I'd recommend a home DVD workout if you can swing it to get yourself into the routine and then add running in when it gets cooler again.

As far as food goes, I can't work out after I eat. I get cramps, I feel gross, I always quit. So what I do is sip some water during my warm ups to get my stomach used to having something in it and then drink it as needed during my workout. Then I eat about an hour after I get done with my workout. Might be worth a try?
  • erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Whenever you actually will DO your workout is the best time for you to do it.

For me, I have my morning coffee and orange juice (or, alternately, coffee and yogurt, or coffee and a banana) and then hit the gym. Works for me. If it doesn't work for you, do your workout some other time of day.
  • Antioxidote
    Options
    i used to hate morning workouts too, but i got used to them. If i lift i like to have a banana or a protein shake 30 to 45 minutes before, if it's a cardio day i try to drink alot of water and get a good warmup in, especially if i plan on running. I tried this last time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZuIgRTgVjo it worked really well. And, of course, caffeine is your friend.
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out in the morning BUT I only get a chance to do it on weekends if I have time, otherwise I'm stuck with doing it at night and lately, I've been struggling with that.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Once I do a morning workout, I don't regret it. There's something cool about running around at 4 am before the neighboorhood wakes up. Shaming myself out of bed early and dragging myself up and out is another matter....

This ^^^ but 6 am in my case.

When I run weekday mornings I don't eat anything before I go out or it sits like a rock in my stomach. On the weekend I'll do a protein shake a hour before I go out. I typically go to the gym in the evening but the days I strength train before work I do eat something before I go - a banana, or a packet of the PowerBar Energy Blasts, which taste like fruit snacks.
  • mkevans
    mkevans Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I agree with you I tend to eat less
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I like morning exercise and don't normally eat before I do. On the odd occasion when I do eat first I want another breakfast when I've finished.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    You have too little information to go on. If this was your first morning workout, and assuming you are in a deficit, your blood sugar levels are going to be very low. That accounts for the lightheadedness and general lack of energy to complete. However, the body tends to adjust over time, and as it begins to accept that you are going to be exerting yourself before a meal, it will develop a memory of that requirement. When I started to do workouts in the morning, my strength was something like only 90% of what it was supposed to be, and my endurance was way off. After about a month of intense focus, not thinking about whether I was hungry or had low blood sugar, I started to progress just fine.

It really does not matter when you work out. Whether you are doing it on an empty stomach or not. I have to work out in the mornings because of my schedule. So I made it work. You can find a way to achieve your goals, as long as you're willing to dedicate yourself to that goal. The intricacies of how this is achieve is fairly irrelevant.
  • GregoriusPapachristou
    Options
    I agree sets your whole day!! I saw your quote "Missing the old me" That is me in a nutshell !! Can't wait to be back :)
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I have mornings when I would prefer to sleep in but I push myself to get the workout done. I feel better after a morning workout and energized, which is great since I am not typically a "morning person".

8488541.png
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person by nature, so when my eyes open at 4:45am, there's always a brief WTF moment ... but once I'm out of bed I'm good. And I like the fact that by 6:30 in the morning I've gotten a hard workout in when a lot of people are still sleeping away.

As for food ..... I generally eat a banana on the way to the gym but I didn't have any bananas this morning and I felt perfectly fine. If I was going for a run I'd be good on an empty stomach up until 5 miles or so; I'd probably want a little something - a banana or a protein bar - for anything longer.
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I just started going around 6am this week, and im loving it so far. I just drag myself out of bed at 5:45am, have a quick shot of espresso or guzzle a coffee quick, and I have a banana or granola bar on the drive, which is about 3 minutes away from our house. Once I get there and get moving, I feel great, it really does set the tone for the day. I try to get home by 7:30 if I work at 9. If I am going to drag my *kitten* out of bed at 6am to workout, I better eat well through out the day. Plus its nice knowing when I get home from a day of hell at work, I don't have to workout because its done, or it frees up more family time or tennis time.
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    i enjoy a slow start with a coffee on my deck first thing in the morning. It's tuff to get me to give that up. Except to beat the summers heat for a run or those early morning starts at a race I'll take the deck..