Bad knees- what workouts do you do?

Options

Replies

• Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I have fluid in both knees, I don't run, I do elliptical, brazil butt lift DVDs, weight train, Jillian michaels ripped in 30 but,modify any jumping, I do stepping same for the brazil butt lift, no impact of any kind. I also do slim in six pack for my abs. I find if I do any impact or incorrect lunges or squatting, very sore knees follow. I also always wear elastic knee bands that have padding right over the knee caps,I find them very helpful.
    Good luck, feel well & try to have the dr. Look at you if you didn't go yet.

I will tell my NaturalPath doc and see what she says about it. Thanks for the ideas, you obviously get a great workout (you look great). I will try some elastic things for the knees possibly too.
  • Funsoaps
    Options
    I started with yoga /pilates,as i got better i started walking and elliptical.I also weight train

heres some toning workouts for bad knees

http://www.wannabebig.com/training/bodybuilding/get-big-legs-with-bad-knees/

Thanks, I'm gonna check this out.
  • Funsoaps
    Options
    This is a question for your doctor. My best guess would be that yoga and pilates are ideal, since you sit for a majority of both. Don't push it, though - injuries are serious and should be taken seriously. There's no shame in taking a break from exercise while your body heals. It may be a good opportunity to put energy into meal planning and getting nutrition in check. After all, losing weight is 90% what you eat and 10% exercise.

But really, ask your doctor.

That's what I hear about eating, but I've eaten so well for years, my hormones prevent the weightloss, though. I tend to do really well working out and adding low carb.
  • Funsoaps
    Options
    I have torn my ACLs 5 times between the 2 of them and had subsequent surgeries. I have no cartilage left in my left knee at all.

Surprisingly, going to Spin has been amazing for my knees. I am biting my tongue a tiny bit because after 3 months of going to Spin religiously and not having problems, I did swell up yesterday, but I think it may be unrelated. I have been a swimmer all my life and that is also very good for your body and zero impact. I try to spin or swim everyday. Just think NO IMPACT or very, very low impact. And not going to lie, running is probably out. It is for me, at least. I almost always start to feel better and press my luck and start to run again, and it's always disastrous. So now I stick with no or low impact workouts and have been steady in my fitness.

It is frustrating - SO frustrating - but try to focus on what you CAN do and not what you can't.

Great advice- I will remain positive and focus on what I CAN do rather than cannot do!
  • KSfitgal
    KSfitgal Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    This is good to know. I have arthritis in both knees, my left is way worse. I was afraid doing Zumba would be to hard on them with twisting. I'll have to try it! I did a lot of walking last weekend, and have had lots of pain this week.
    I have arthritis in both knees, and I tried Zumba for the first time the other nite. It never bothered my knees, suprisingly. Im going to go back to tomarrow nights class and give it a try again. I wasnt able to do a lot of the high energy movements, but I kept moving, and I got a really good workout without hurting my knees.
  • sandieecakes
    Options
    I do leslie sansone's walk aerobics dvd's. I have a total knee replacement of the left knee. Her moves are basic and nothing extreme. The exercise for you to do is the exercise that you CAN do without pain or discomfort.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Try a rowing machine--it's no impact for the legs, although you do have to bend the knee quite acutely, which might not work for you. But you really should have it looked at by a doctor or physical therapist.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    This is a question for your doctor. My best guess would be that yoga and pilates are ideal, since you sit for a majority of both. Don't push it, though - injuries are serious and should be taken seriously. There's no shame in taking a break from exercise while your body heals. It may be a good opportunity to put energy into meal planning and getting nutrition in check. After all, losing weight is 90% what you eat and 10% exercise.

Rather than speculating as to what you think it is and isn't, You really should see a doctor before proceeding with any weight bearing exercises. You have no idea what you are setting yourself up for in the future by not taking care of injuries now.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I can't even have an op to tidy up my raggedy cartilage because it's degenerated so much the orthpaedic surgeon refuses to remove what little is left.
    So... I told him what I have been doing... and his jaw dropped.

Walk on a treadmill
    Intervals on a spin bike (better options for calibration of height, saddle position and handlebars than a normal stationary bike)
    Intervals on an elliptical
    Rowing machine
    Jogging on a mini-tramoline
    Wii Fit Balance, Muscle, Yoga exercises (but not anything with lunges or squats)
    Strength work in the gym (Use TRX for any lunges and squat-related exercises)
    Swim front crawl using a pull-bouy float between my knees to strengthen the inner knee muscles that are all but wasted away, and forces you to pull in your core
    Use a small pilates ball between my knees and press inwards while standing up to strengthen those inner knee muscles
    Use a foam roller to batter my ITBand...

Yep - think that about covers my limited range of workouts.
  • kirstie1926
    Options
    i, too, have bad knees due to a congenital disorder. part of the bones didn't develop fully so it looks like i'm missing something when looking at xrays.

so if i overwork my knees, kneel or have them bent for a bit, i'm in pain like an old lady. for me, i highly recommend NOT doing pilates. i did one class and we had to be on our knees and i couldn't walk, sit, sleep or anything for 2 months.

swimming is good (freestyle or backstroke) depending on how you kick with your legs, the breast stroke could do more damage.

elliptical was also difficult for me to use when i was having a knee flare up.

nordic walking is really fantastic and won't put any pressure on your knees. you can also try focusing on your arms with a resistance band while your knees are healing.

good luck and i feel your pain.
  • Sergette1
    Sergette1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've hurt my knee in zumba.... now I do easy yoga and is a great exercise and relief
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in both knees, and I tried Zumba for the first time the other nite. It never bothered my knees, suprisingly. Im going to go back to tomarrow nights class and give it a try again. I wasnt able to do a lot of the high energy movements, but I kept moving, and I got a really good workout without hurting my knees.
    That's my problem arthritis in both knees and elbows. I do Zumba Gold, which is like low impact aerobics and also Zumba toning with weights. I find I need painkillers before the session and I'm hoping it's only over winter that it's been this bad. Zumba is really good just adjust it to what you can do and don't jump around too much!!!

If you need painkillers before exercising, don't you think that might be your body's way of telling you that you're overdoing it?
  • dutchk
    dutchk Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I can be lots of things (for me it was a torn meniscus) so, as others have advised, see your doctor.

I do want to suggest some reading on a related topic. For many people, nothing beats jogging or running for weight loss/maintenance or overall fitness. I would rather see a dentist then get on a treadmill, elliptical, or rowing machine. But that is just me and losing the opportunity to get outside for a jog, even a slow one, would be devastating. Many years ago, I ran a marathon and I followed a training plan promoted by olympian runner Jeff Galloway. Over the years I lost my way and the pounds came on big time. When I started on MFP over a year ago I took up jogging again with the C25K program. I successfully completed it and ran a 5k at an 11:30 pace but the process, especially in the latter weeks, was tough. My knees were killing me! I could hardly walk the day after a run. So 25 years after that marathon, I started researching run training programs again and once again discovered Jeff Galloway. Well as I grew older, so did he, and he has been an advocate for a different running style for some years now and, with it, a different training plan. In a nutshell, its called a run/walk method. It is widely used for ultra marathoners today and allows a recovery period within the run such that the leg muscles don't tire nearly as much and provide much needed support for the rest of the legs. I am now up to a 6 mile run and do so at a 10:20 overall pace, running intervals for 4 minutes and walking for one minute. My 1-mile pace is currently sub-10 minutes and is getting better. The best part is I'm not tired after and my knees don't hurt anymore. I'm now starting on his training plan for my second marathon. Hope to run it before my 60th birthday.

Google him, but do note that his older material may not be about run/walking. He has written a ton of books and I've heard they can get rather repetitive. I got his book "running Until You're 100". You can also find many of his training plans for free on his website.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

Rather than speculating as to what you think it is and isn't, You really should see a doctor before proceeding with any weight bearing exercises. You have no idea what you are setting yourself up for in the future by not taking care of injuries now.
    Agreed wholeheartedly. What works for any of us may be poor advice for you, because our injuries could be very different. I can say that, for me personally, I use a Gazelle Glider and walk a few miles several times a week without issue, but your knee injury could be extremely different - not to mention of more recent vintage - than mine.
  • alethea88
    alethea88 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You said you can barely walk so that means kneeling and using stairs will be painful for you too. I had the same problem with my knee. In my opinion, It is best for you to let your knee rest from walking or doing yoga and pilates. Pilates for abs is excellent though. I took glucosamine+chondroitin supplement to help heal my joint and chondroitin is excellent to retain water to lubricate the joint. My doctor gave me pain killer for 3 days to help ease the pain but it does not help to heal my knee. I found that stretching my knee helps too but not like the the warrior pose or downward facing pose in yoga... it will make your knee hurt more. If you force your knee to work in pain you might make it worst so let it rest until the pain is gone. hope this help.
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I have my left knee which is easy to injure. If I cycle and have the seat too low the bones click when I peddle so as long as my seat is high enough then cycling has been great for me. I just got a new stationary bike and its been great. I also use the Leslie Sansone 5 mile walk 3 days a week and that always loosens my knees up and helps any pain go away
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    This thread is a real "roll of horror" :smile:

I'm missing my PCL and 90% of the lateral meniscus in left knee, old patella fracture and laxity in lateral and medial ligaments in right knee.

Running really isn't great for me - a brisk 3k on a treadmill is about my limit. Slow running/jogging is far worse than running at a decent pace.
    Squats also bad for me and the noises coming from my knees tend to upset other gym users!

Good for me and my legs is cycling (just come back from a 47 mile ride, use cleats if you can), rowing & elliptical. Leg presses, curls and leg extensions help keep my legs strong and my knees stable but can't go too crazy on the weights for these. Swimming with crawl kick is OK but breaststroke kick was banned by my surgeon.

But as others have said your start point really has to be a proper diagnosis.

Best of luck. :flowerforyou:
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • splashtree
    Options
    I run,sometimes knees hurt so i stop a week and swimming is fine or simply a slow walk even to rest at all is great,full recovery
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Swimming, and pool exercises. If you can find a warm water therapy pool, all good. some hospitals have them and they have water aerobics that take a person from being crippled to being able to walk.. you can do walking in water, and if you think that is easy squeasy, try walking backwards in water! when you get home after doing a half hour to an hour, you will feel as if you were on the other gym exercise machines.