Why do a lot of women prefer exercise DVDs?

Options

Replies

• bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    For me, it's a no-brainer. The routine has been developed for you and you only have to follow along. And, it's a portable workout. Have TV will travel. It's really hard (and very expensive) to haul weights around with you when traveling, etc. :happy:
  • Jennms85
    Jennms85 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids at home, 3 in school and one 7 month old. I loved going to the gym per-kids but is not much of an option. Also live in the country and the closest gym to me is a half hour drive. As much as I enjoy the gym I like the structure of my DVD workouts. I have scheduled days of what to do when and every program has worked for me, some better than others. No guess work makes life a lot easier. If I did have access to a gym I think I would use it mainly for extra cardio work.
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    For me personally - I like to work out alone. I don't want to go to a gym and number one - share equipment and number two, when I working out, I'm a sweaty mess - i'm not at the gym to pick up a guy or anything else except to exercise. Plus, possibly a lot of women can't get away to a gym or go out for a run because of kids jor other domestic issues, so they find a way to work out at home and the DVD gives them a solid workout they can follow. Not to mention, when you are overweight and just getting started, it's a way to get through it without feeling embarassed thinking people are watching you or making fun of you.
  • jlcarcajc4
    jlcarcajc4 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have small kids, and it is easier to do home exercises.

this ^^
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    There aren't many dance classes where I live, but there are a lot of instructional dance DVDs, and a lot of samba DVDs.

Samba DVDs?? Where did you find those? Maybe Amazon? If you can reccomend some, I would appreciate it! I'd love to throw in the dancing workouts - sometimes you just need to get your groove on!
  • MrsG31
    Options
    And to the OP question- what many have already said - convenience, cost, time, and a wee bit of privacy for me

I was a memeber of the YMCA once and loved it, but mainly I took classes and used the elipticals or treadmills. I was shown how to use all the machines by an employee when I first signed up, but often felt embarrassed since I was a newbie and couldn't lift much. If my husband went with me, I would do them with him and he could help me but we often couldn't go at the same time. In fact, I used to hate DVD's b/c I would buy them and never do them - if I was at home, I always found other things to occupy my time. (like watching TV, shopping, painting my nails......very important stuff here!)

Back then I had 1 child, now I have 2. The cost and time to go back to the gym right now is not worth it. I walk during breaks at work and do my own routine of strength training at home and use a DVD. (which I am sore from doing a new routine last night!)

One day I hope to be able to go back as I do miss those dance-type classes like BodyJam and Zumba. And I really enjoyed BodyPump! Maybe we can all start going as a family when the kids are older.
  • MrsG31
    Options
    I make weird sounds when I workout. So yea nobody else needs to hear them lol

Bahahaha - love your honesty!

There was a guy at the Y who took the same BodyPump time slot I did and he was always grunting all through class! After while though, you don't really notice. You get into your own groove and are worrying about your own form to worry about anyone else!
  • Jennms85
    Jennms85 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    And to the OP question- what many have already said - convenience, cost, time, and a wee bit of privacy for me

I was a memeber of the YMCA once and loved it, but mainly I took classes and used the elipticals or treadmills. I was shown how to use all the machines by an employee when I first signed up, but often felt embarrassed since I was a newbie and couldn't lift much. If my husband went with me, I would do them with him and he could help me but we often couldn't go at the same time. In fact, I used to hate DVD's b/c I would buy them and never do them - if I was at home, I always found other things to occupy my time. (like watching TV, shopping, painting my nails......very important stuff here!)

Back then I had 1 child, now I have 2. The cost and time to go back to the gym right now is not worth it. I walk during breaks at work and do my own routine of strength training at home and use a DVD. (which I am sore from doing a new routine last night!)

One day I hope to be able to go back as I do miss those dance-type classes like BodyJam and Zumba. And I really enjoyed BodyPump! Maybe we can all start going as a family when the kids are older.

Working out at home h as definitely gotten my kids interested. The younger ones play soccer and baseball and track etc. however my ever so predictable lazy teen has actually took it upon her self to research some DVDs and decided on her own what shed like to get into. I don't think many kids realize that people aren't just born fit, they have to eat well and exercise. Teens especially think being super skinny is healthy, my kids will know the measure I've taken to be a super-fit hot mama because they're witness to my journeys and successes.
  • KatieBee8
    KatieBee8 Posts: 61
    Options
    Time, money, privacy, flexibility, choice, and yes I can work out in whatever I want to :bigsmile:

This :happy:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym 5 days a week but I like videos for the winter or when it''s crappy out and I can't get outside to run and I want to add an extra workout in on the weekend.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    It's easier to fit the exercise in if you have DVDs to follow. If you have kids and work it can be difficult to get out to a class or to a gym. Also, speaking for myself, when I first started losing weight it was less embarrassing to exercise in private.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious why women seem to prefer exercise DVDs. Obviously not all women prefer this, but you don't see a ton of guys doing 30 Day Shred or the like. So I'm looking to hear from those women who do exercise DVDs instead of other stuff: Why?

TIME and MONEY mostly!

DVDs are cheaper then a gym pass or other fitness equipment. If the woman has children, she won't need to find a home sitter (or pay for one), or pack up the kids to gym sitter (or pay for it). She can do the DVD whenever she has time in whatever clothes she is wearing. She can do it before the kids get up or before work. She can do after work or at the kids nap time. She can do it while the kids are playing in their rooms or doing homework. She can do it once all the kids go to bed. On top of time and money, women generally are more self conscience so doing exercise in the comfort of your own home helps with this.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Because it already takes me an hour and 15 to shower, dry hair, straighten hair, make-up, dressed, breakfast before work.

I can add a 45 minute ChaLEAN DVD and that it all the time I need to get my strength workout in (well maybe 5 mins more to shove some workout clothes on and get my mat/dumbbels in position). On the alternative days I jump on my treadmill and get a run in - easy peasy.

If I was going to the gym I would have to walk to the gym (20 mintes), workout, walk back from the gym, and then go through the 1.5 hours above.

In the evening I get home from work, make dinner, eat dinner, clean up dinner, clean kitchen, hoover, do other tidying jobs, sit down with the hubby to watch a show or two and go to bed...

DVDs are awesome.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Time and money.
  • bongochick45
    bongochick45 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I like them because they are flexible. My schedule is crazy and I can't committ to an arbitrary gym schedule. So I need DVDs becuase they fit into my schedule.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I've done Insanity previously. I restarted it & I am on week 4 after a long hiatus. Thinking of trying Les Mills next, how do you like it??
    I prefer Les Mills Combat to Insanity. But then I trained in kickboxing for 10 years.

Oh, and for the record, here's part of my workout room where I do my DVDs... no fear of weights here:
    969514_10151664853546210_474111359_n.jpg
    Nice Rack!

Thank you :flowerforyou:

Now people have some kind of a reason to compliment my rack :laugh:
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Because I don't have the option or money to join a gym... And it's way more convenient because I have to time my workouts around making supper and housework after I get home from work every day. Much easier to plan to do it in my house than have to pack up myself and take myself to a gym.
  • breezedaze
    breezedaze Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    for me it was simple..can't take kids to the gym..no room for a home gym....I workout when kids are in school...in the summer I do dvd's

I prefer the gym but am not at liberty to go when I want.
  • DuckieSteph
    DuckieSteph Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    A lot think lifting will make them bulky

Oh, no. I lift too. But I also enjoy the variety that comes with workout DVDs. I do a little bit of both. :)
  • guidothecat
    guidothecat Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    DVD's fit into my schedule (gym classes around here don't due to work schedule) I travel for work alot, so portable. I do alot of yoga/pilates and YAYOG.

...and I would seriously get kicked out of a class if I talked back to the class instructor like I swear at the tv? :smokin: