I'm about to say eff it all and eat ALL the ice cream!

Options

Replies

• Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Go on then. Give up. Eat it all. Eat extra. How will that make you feel? Sick, bloated - and still miserable?

Or have what you actually want. Which could be just a little bit, you'd be surprised how little ice cream can satisfy you if you're eating to enjoy it and not to punish yourself or tell everybody around you that you're feeling grumpy.

Deliberately doing that is the equivalent of going and smacking yourself in the face repeatedly. It's pointless and only hurts you, nobody else.

Just plan your meals and keep going. Start again with the next meal. It's not the end of the world, after all. Or the end of eating appropriately. But leave yourself space for alcohol and Ice cream. Otherwise you'll feel deprived and add that onto a tough day, you'll get another blowout. And another. And another.

It's a couple of pounds. It could be fluid retention. It could be you've taken your eye off the ball a bit. Whatever. Is this the time to give up or to accept that glitches occur and get on with it - or chuck away all the effort you have made to lose those twenty odd pounds in the first place?

Your choice.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    If you've maintained a calorie deficit you know you haven't actually gained two pounds of fat. It's impossible. I understand your frustration. I really do. But don't throw in the towel. Imagine how bad you'll feel the first time you put on your swimsuit on your cruise. You'll know you could have kept working up until the day of your cruise but you didn't. Do the best you can so you can have the satisfaction knowing that you did.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Please don't give up! Try adding 200 calories to the mix per day. You might not be eating enough food. You do have to eat to lose weight and starvation mode is not a myth. You can do this!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    @OP,

don't be this person...

Crying-icecream.gif

...be this one instead.

george-ice-cream.gif
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you just upped your exercise since summer break has started. If this is the case, you are likely retaining water due to the exercise. When you first start exercising after a long break, or significantly up the intensity, you generate microtears in your muscle fiber. Your body treats this as an injury (it is part of normal musclebuilding) and retains water as part of the inflammation response. This water weight can balance or even offset any loss from fat (water is quite dense, particularly when compared to fat) and usually takes 2-3 weeks to go away. At that point, your body will adjust to the routine and stop retaining the water. You usually see a large drop at that point as you stop retaining. A tape measure is going to give you much better measurements than a scale. I've been doing Insanity for two week and haven't lost a pound, but I have lost almost and inch off my waist. Judging by the scale, I'm failing. Judging by body measurements, I'm getting great results. Don't let it derail you.
  • leighdiane91
    leighdiane91 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Check your priorities. You should be doing this first and foremost to be healthy and vanity should come second! Why would you "give up" a healthy lifestyle? Having ice cream is fine! Go eat the ice cream, just make sure you have the calories for it.

Take a walk, clear your head, check priorities and get back on it tomorrow. Giving up shouldn't even be an option!
  • toimisaki
    toimisaki Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Alcohol dehydrates you. That's what I bet it is; you're getting the fluid back on board.

This is so true! Most likely water weight. You've come so far, this is just an obstacle in your way.
  • missability
    missability Posts: 223
    Options
    I totally agree with the "switch it up" advice.....I know there are those who say you cannot "TRICK" your body...but I began on Jan 1, and was losing1 to 2 pounds a week steady...the last 3 weeks in May it was more like 1/2 pound...On June 1st I had a 4 oz gain.....I have done no exercises except morning stretching and some deep breathing since then and have lost 6 pounds!!! SIX!!!!!! In 14 days!!! Just by basically giving up exercise for 2 weeks! Nothing else....didn't change the food at all! S I have made the decision to take the Month of June "OFF" from vigorous exercise....I am going to start back in hard on July 1....

DO NOT GIVE UP!!!! Lot's of water, and the best of luck to you!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    First, eat the ice cream.

Second, keep working hard.
  • Adirafox
    Adirafox Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Alcohol dehydrates you.

Are the weight gains in the morning?

If you got drunk again, and then weighed yourself in the AM, I bet you'd be lighter.

This doesn't mean drink. It means drinking shows illusionary weight-loss.

Holy cow, yes. I keep whining that every time I eat badly (which really means drinking), that suddenly I'm lighter in the morning.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm almost in the same position as you. lost 25lbs. last two weigh-ins more frequent than usual (my bad, prolly shoudn'ta done that) showed slight increases in scale numbers. without a vacation to focus on my angst led me to take an action, in particular having my body fat and BMI looked at. i got a whole bunch of numbers that are confusing enough for me, much less to explain to someone but bottom line my body fat % is down. I found out that my body has been changing from the inside even if it's not showing lately on the outside. I previously had very showy results and then suddenly not so much. Or actually it could just be that I was really gung ho, didn't expect much, saw something, and then now expect it everytime I turn around, which is not really very realistic is it?

So I'm going back to square one of putting in the hard work and the counting and being patient and spaced out with the weigh in's and then seeing what surprises come up in awhile when I go weigh again, in a week or two at least.

Eat your ice cream, stop when your full/satisfied, log that, adjust your daily cals and do whatever damage control needs to be done to make room for that yummy sunday. Enjoy it, it sounds delicious.
  • Adirafox
    Adirafox Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    As far as my workouts, I am trying to mix it up. I run, sometimes with the jogging stroller, sometimes without, and I try to do sprints when i don't have the stroller with me.

Other days, I might do a tabata routine, or some variation on a fast-paced strength workout.

Today was an off day, as I met friends for lunch AND went out with my husband, but tomorrow I'm back on track. I'm going to go on my cruise, enjoy myself (and eat ONLY what I want, and not what I feel like I need to eat, given that there is food EVERYWHERE), and then I'm REALLY going to get back on top of things.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Eat your ice cream and enjoy it, you've earned it. Then consider taking a break and eating at maintenance for a week or two before continuing on a deficit.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Eat your ice cream and enjoy it, you've earned it. Then consider taking a break and eating at maintenance for a week or two before continuing on a deficit.

this%6^
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options

^this
  • Christina8585
    Christina8585 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. I always gain several pounds and look like I've gained at least 2-4 inches (omg) during my monthly apocalypse.
    I once went up 9 pounds in a week and then lost all of it plus a couple more because I was working out. I'm feeling super blah too and I end up feeling this way every month, but don't give up.
  • Tyesha200
    Tyesha200 Posts: 5
    Options
    Don't give up, hang in there ,you have all of our support
  • 13tea
    13tea Posts: 55
    Options
    You have come to far to give up. 25 lbs shouldn't be thrown to the wind. I know I have passed this one on before but, an old adage: "If you do the same thing, the same way, you get the same results." So treat yourself, not because you are giving up but because you need a mental break. Go enjoy your vacation with your husband. What's more important, a great time with a great guy, or worrying about a few pounds. Smile and enjoy!:flowerforyou:
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    You're 5lbs away from goal. You really want to give up NOW? The body is a funny thing, it doesn't always do what we want it to do when we want it to do it, on the timeline we want it done in. You've increased your exercise, you're probably retaining water from the change/ increase to help repair muscles and have your body adapt to the positive changes you're making to it. If you want ice cream, have it, especially if it soothes the mind. It's not going to be the straw that breaks the camels back in this scenario, but if you quit, you really will undo all of the work, which would be a shame. Keep going and good luck!
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Check your priorities. You should be doing this first and foremost to be healthy and vanity should come second! Why would you "give up" a healthy lifestyle? Having ice cream is fine! Go eat the ice cream, just make sure you have the calories for it.

Take a walk, clear your head, check priorities and get back on it tomorrow. Giving up shouldn't even be an option!

I agree!!