Anyone already lost a significant amount of weight? Help

Options
2»

Replies

• jojo86xdd
    jojo86xdd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss &thanks SO much:-)

You're welcome! You can add me if you'd like. Id be happy to help in any way, plus you can never have too much support :)
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    All the information you need to be successful: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

Read up!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    All the information you need to be successful: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

Read up!

KmE27SP.gif

YES , Please read this, it explains so many things about how your body works and how to lose weight the right way. Knowledge is power.
  • CaseyM1985
    CaseyM1985 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I think some of the best tips include:

Take a before picture (no matter how much you don't want to, it will show you where you started and how far you've come!). Also, take progress pictures, say once a month, once every couple, etc.
    Make short term and long term goals, and then set rewards for those.
    Remember there is no miracle drug, exercise program, etc. that makes weight loss any easier. It's a long term change and is slow, but the results are worth the effort.
    Find a support system, whether on MFP, in real life, WW, etc. Only surround yourself with positive supporters too.
    Remember why you started, make a list of why this is important to you.
    Everyone has set backs, bad meals, days, weeks. It's all about how you bounce back.

...and one of the biggest for me (besides all the ones I already listed): DON'T deprive yourself. If you want a milkshake, get one, just get a small one. If you want _____ (fill in the blank) get the smallest one you can, enjoy it and move on. Not eating it will only make you want it more, at least for me :)

Keep your head up, weight loss is hard, maintaining is hard, but it's worth it in the end! You'll do amazing!
  • hollysmom55
    Options
    I had gastric bypass surgery 8/29/12, and have lost 95 lbs. The reason I joined MFP is because I stopped losing at Easter. Even using MFP and greatly increasing my exercise (walking 4.25 mi. almost every day, riding exercise bike 20 mins 4 days a week), I still have not lost any weight. I still have 45 lbs. left to lose, and it is all belly fat. I am so discouraged I could screram. Anyone have any advice for losing belly fat? Keep in mind that I am 57, on disability, and cannot be doing squats, crunches, kicking or boxing, or lifting weights. I have to be very careful of my back.
  • SoFLpeg
    SoFLpeg Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Definitely read the info just posted, you do NOT have to starve to lose weight. I lost mine eating an average of 1600-1800 calories.

Make a list of all the reasons you want to lose weight. Read that list several times a day.

Plan your day of eating in advance, and try as best you can to stick to the plan. With a plan though it is easy to make changes based on how your day actually goes. Eat the foods you love, nothing is off limits. That said, you can't have everything you want, in the quantity you want, every day. Sometimes you just have to wait and plan for it another day. You can't always eat what you want and weight what you want. That said, I eat chocolate EVERY day. Life is too short to live without it, for me.

Track EVERYTHING you eat. After all, your body keeps perfect track so the only one you fool is you. Accurate tracking keeps you honest and gives you something to look back on as you make changes.

Measure yourself as well. Sometimes you do everything right and the scale doesn't cooperate. The number is not a definition of you, it is just a number. And one week is not a trend. My weight loss graph looks like a roller coaster, headed downhill, but not every week.

You can do it if you believe you can. That, in fact, is the most important part.
  • queenwildcat
    Options
    I started my journey to lose 100+ pounds in five months ago. To date, I've lost 60 pounds by making sure that I moved DAILY for at least thirty minutes and faithfully logging my food into MFP. I still have quite a way to go, but I now have the faith that I can reach my goal. If I can do it, you can, too. Best of luck! :)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I've shared this a couple of times today, and I know it risks being TL;DR but this is my advice. And OP, I'm also an asthmatic and I run. It took a while to learn simply how to pace my breathing but I learned.

1. Commit. You have to want to lose weight and be willing to change your current behavior to accomplish that. The world is full of quick weight loss gimmicks because many people do not want to commit. They want the success but aren't willing to put in the work.

2. Spend time calculating your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) and working out a reasonable deficit to achieve a steady weight loss. This needs to be a an amount that you can actually achieve day in and day out for a long time. There is no sense in setting it low only to find yourself suffering through it for a few days and then binging next week.

3. Buy a digital kitchen scale and a good variety of measuring cups and spoons. Weigh all solids and measure any liquids that have any calories and that go into your body. And record it all.

4. Find an exercise program that you can stick with consistently over time. If it's only walking right now, then okay. But make sure you do it every day then but do not think that it every needs to be more than 1 hour a day. I sometimes hit 2 hours (split between weights and cardio) but I'm well into this and am not risking burn out by doing so. As you increase your physical capacity then increase your exercise until you are strength training at least 3 times a week and doing some sort of cardio 2 or 3 times a week (again, walking is fine). Cardio is not strictly necessary to lose weight but it will improve your cardiovascular health and it will help you by allowing you to eat a bit more. Strength training also is not strictly necessary to lose weight but it will help you retain what muscle mass you have. You won't notice the difference immediately but as you get close to your goal weight you will be very happy you did it.

5. And speaking of goal weight, don't worry about this so much. It will change as the weight comes off anyway. If it motivates you though, then have one but definitely be open to moving it down, reasonably, as the weight comes off and your view of things change.

6. BE CONSISTENT. No plan is worth a damn thing if you don't stick with it.

7. Be Patient. Weight loss isn't linear and you will have weeks where you do everything right and nothing happens. You're not alone here. It's happened to all of us.

8. Be willing to reevaluate if you do hit a plateau for a couple of months. The problem could be any one of the above issues. If it's not then talk to your M.D.

9. Have fun. Find ways to get your exercise in that you really enjoy. If you hate getting out of bed in the morning then that morning run is going to suck. Don't do this to yourself.

10. Dont' be unreasonable with your diet. Allow yourself to eat some of the foods that you always have, just in true 1 serving size portions. Some people are better than others with this. If you do have a true "trigger food" then you need to avoid it, at least for a while, but if you constantly deny your cravings, by eating yogurt rather than ice cream for example, you're going to eventually binge. At least most people will. The idea here isn't to punish yourself but to teach yourself how to eat proper portions and balance your diet. Many of us find success while still eating pizza, hamburgers, ice cream, beer, french fries, donuts and pop tarts. We just don't eat them all the time and when we do we have a portion. Not a box or a carton.

11. Forgive yourself for bad days. You will have them. We all do. Just make sure that you get right back on track rather than beating yourself up for a week and then releasing your stress about it in a box of donuts.
  • mrsjay4life
    mrsjay4life Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You should be very proud of yourself for taking this step
    For many people don't ask for help with weight loss. Because
    They are to ashamed. The good thing is that you are ready
    And serious about losing your weight. As for me most of my
    encouragement came from people like wise who are serious.
    I educated myself reading lots of MFP blogs. And post. I surf the
    net reading other people weight loss success stories and how they did it.
    of late am glued to extreme Makeover weight loss stories on you
    Tube and gather all I can and implemented it to my our personal
    Journey. Today I no longer use food as a comfort and only eat wen hungry!
    Am honest with myself good or bad I log it. And I exercise 2x a
    day and even wen I feel bored. Exercise has became my choice of
    comfort and everyday I push myself a little more then yesterday.
    in your case I know it will be different but don't give up and
    associate yourself with friend that are trying to lose like you are
    that they can motivate you. MFP has a support group of people
    that you can add as your friends. So feel free to add me if you
    wish too! I know you can do it but bare in mind the weight
    didn't came in 1 day and it wont go one time.
  • jojo86xdd
    jojo86xdd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I've shared this a couple of times today, and I know it risks being TL;DR but this is my advice. And OP, I'm also an asthmatic and I run. It took a while to learn simply how to pace my breathing but I learned.

1. Commit. You have to want to lose weight and be willing to change your current behavior to accomplish that. The world is full of quick weight loss gimmicks because many people do not want to commit. They want the success but aren't willing to put in the work.

2. Spend time calculating your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) and working out a reasonable deficit to achieve a steady weight loss. This needs to be a an amount that you can actually achieve day in and day out for a long time. There is no sense in setting it low only to find yourself suffering through it for a few days and then binging next week.

3. Buy a digital kitchen scale and a good variety of measuring cups and spoons. Weigh all solids and measure any liquids that have any calories and that go into your body. And record it all.

4. Find an exercise program that you can stick with consistently over time. If it's only walking right now, then okay. But make sure you do it every day then but do not think that it every needs to be more than 1 hour a day. I sometimes hit 2 hours (split between weights and cardio) but I'm well into this and am not risking burn out by doing so. As you increase your physical capacity then increase your exercise until you are strength training at least 3 times a week and doing some sort of cardio 2 or 3 times a week (again, walking is fine). Cardio is not strictly necessary to lose weight but it will improve your cardiovascular health and it will help you by allowing you to eat a bit more. Strength training also is not strictly necessary to lose weight but it will help you retain what muscle mass you have. You won't notice the difference immediately but as you get close to your goal weight you will be very happy you did it.

5. And speaking of goal weight, don't worry about this so much. It will change as the weight comes off anyway. If it motivates you though, then have one but definitely be open to moving it down, reasonably, as the weight comes off and your view of things change.

6. BE CONSISTENT. No plan is worth a damn thing if you don't stick with it.

7. Be Patient. Weight loss isn't linear and you will have weeks where you do everything right and nothing happens. You're not alone here. It's happened to all of us.

8. Be willing to reevaluate if you do hit a plateau for a couple of months. The problem could be any one of the above issues. If it's not then talk to your M.D.

9. Have fun. Find ways to get your exercise in that you really enjoy. If you hate getting out of bed in the morning then that morning run is going to suck. Don't do this to yourself.

10. Dont' be unreasonable with your diet. Allow yourself to eat some of the foods that you always have, just in true 1 serving size portions. Some people are better than others with this. If you do have a true "trigger food" then you need to avoid it, at least for a while, but if you constantly deny your cravings, by eating yogurt rather than ice cream for example, you're going to eventually binge. At least most people will. The idea here isn't to punish yourself but to teach yourself how to eat proper portions and balance your diet. Many of us find success while still eating pizza, hamburgers, ice cream, beer, french fries, donuts and pop tarts. We just don't eat them all the time and when we do we have a portion. Not a box or a carton.

11. Forgive yourself for bad days. You will have them. We all do. Just make sure that you get right back on track rather than beating yourself up for a week and then releasing your stress about it in a box of donuts.

All so very very true. especially #10. moderation is key.
  • woohoo4gammon
    woohoo4gammon Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes, after nearly a year, I lost 53 pounds. I also have managed to put almost 10 back on, so now my job is to get these off and keep them off. You can do this! I know that if I continue logging in here and counting my calories, as well as exercise, I can do this! You can do this too!!! :smile:
  • mrsjay4life
    mrsjay4life Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Well said thanks for that great information!
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I have lost almost 55 LBS since starting MFP Sept 1 2012, and I lost 12 LBS before that.