Suggestions for fiber?

Options

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    If your goal is staying regular, I'd recommend adding 40g of pitted prunes to your diet every day.
  • ElizabethLovesFood
    ElizabethLovesFood Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    fiber one honey cluster cereal..the best ever
  • ElizabethLovesFood
    Options
    Omg, thank you SO much for this. Apparently normal ppl go to the bathroom every day... I need more fiber! haha. i get apparently 8grams at most on a regular basis. I am going to buy this stuff.

actually everyone is different and has a different normal..you should go at least every 3 days
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Fiber One is a good source if you don't mind artificial sweeteners. All Bran is without artificial sweeteners. I actually mix All Bran Buds (they are a lot like grape nuts but huge fiber) into Greek yogurt for breakfast most days. It adds crunch to the yogurt that I really like.
  • baker150
    baker150 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Quest protein bars have 16-17g of fiber per bar! Also black beans (I eat them in a protein bar form as well), figs, dates, hummus and crackers..
  • ElizabethLovesFood
    Options
    Fiber One is a good source if you don't mind artificial sweeteners. All Bran is without artificial sweeteners. I actually mix All Bran Buds (they are a lot like grape nuts but huge fiber) into Greek yogurt for breakfast most days. It adds crunch to the yogurt that I really like.

i actually love artificial sweetner..addicted to sweet n low..its my poison everyone has a poison
  • mattbell007
    mattbell007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Vegetables are not that high in fiber? What vegetables do you eat?

I get plenty of fiber in spinach, cauliflower, broccoli, jicama, and celery. (I eat apples and berries, too.) I eat them all raw. A 40g fiber day is a low-fiber day for me.

Jicama is particularly high in fiber. If you eat a whole medium-large one, you get 60-80g of fiber right there. Not for those just starting to increase their fiber intake. It is very crunchy and slightly sweet. Like a cross between a potato and an apple. I quarter mine, peel it, and just eat it raw over the course of the morning. If you are just starting out, you'd want to eat just a small portion of one.
  • stefa087
    stefa087 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    1 - 2 tbsp ground flax seed in your smoothies!
  • hap2010
    hap2010 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Raspberries are my go to for fiber. One cup is 8 grams of fiber. Most fiber for the calories that I have found without additives.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Quest Protein Bars
    Kashi Go Lean Original
    Alternative Bagels (only 120 calories)
    Fiber One 80-calorie chocolate cereal (or any of their cereals for that matter)
    Light English Muffins
    Beans
    SPinach instead of lettuce in your salads
    Reduced Sugar Cranberries
    High Fiber Oatmeals
    Shredded wheat
  • KGill67
    KGill67 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Sprouted grain breads are high-fiber AND high-protein; I love toast in the mornings, and appreciate the fact that I'm not just eating empty carbs. Example: Silver Hills Mac's Flax bread has 110 calories, 5 grams of fiber, and 6 grams of protein per slice.
  • Casilibre
    Casilibre Posts: 21
    Options
    Edamame & pinto beans also! They have fiber & good amount of protein, plus taste delicious! All the other foods have been mentioned above. My diary is open if you want to take a look. I get my fiber mostly just from my fruits, veggies, breads.
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Some form of oats for breakfast with either chia seeds or flax in it. Berries, as others have noted.

Beans are almost frighteningly high in fiber--I made some Tuscan white bean casserole a few months ago with Great White Northern beans and I've still got a few servings in the freezer as it sends me way over what I consider a comfortable dose of fiber for the day.
  • Elphaba91
    Elphaba91 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Like other people, I take psyllium, however I have it through Metamucil. I have the orange flavour (can't speak for the lemon-lime but the berry one is nasty!) and mix it with carbonated water. Tastes like Fanta! So it has 3 benefits: it gives you plenty of fiber, it gets rid of any cravings for softdrink and it's very filling!
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any kind of fruit or veggie. I try to eat snacks that have even a little fiber, because it adds up at the end of the day. Any kind of bran cereal for breakfast is also good. Also, I take a teaspoon of psyllium husk powder every morning. It adds an extra 5 grams of fiber to your day and really keeps things moving. It tastes gross, but I mix it in a water bottle with crystal light and it's bearable.
  • sharon_moyer
    sharon_moyer Posts: 177
    Options
    Grain bread or any kind of grain cracker.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Fiber one bars and cereals, quest bars. I get about 30 grams of fiber a day with EASE.
  • jennrox78
    jennrox78 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    im really loving fresh spinach salads lately... w/ tomato and cucumber...

here's a list i found of fiber rich foods...

http://www.fatfreekitchen.com/fiberlist.html
  • Kristy7418
    Kristy7418 Posts: 85
    Options
    I'm going through the same problem. I only get about half my daily intake of fiber in the fruits and veggies i'm eating. I'm picking up some Fiber One ceral today. 60 calories and 14 grams of fiber in a bowl - that should take me to my daily amount. I'll eat it as one of my snacks.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal for breakfast :-)