MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    This is what I usually eat every day

OLE_XtemeWellness_HighFiberLowCarb.jpg

90 cal
    0g fat
    9g fiber
    5g protein

ETA - 2 oz of frozen diced potatoes and 2 oz of egg beaters cooked with Smart Balance Omega-3 oil (1 tsp) wrapped in the tortilla is less than 200 cal, 5g fat, 10g fiber and 12g protein. Makes a great breakfast that you can eat on the go!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    raspberries-1 cup - 8 grams fiber
    green peas cooked- 8.8
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I second the Uncle Sam's cereal recommendation; it'll keep you regular!

Nuts are actually a decent source of fiber, too.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Being vegetarian, I eat a lot of beans and lentils, and I am usually way over on fiber. Avocados are also excellent.
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    black beans c ooked - 1 cup- 13.9 fiber
    -bran cereal- 1 cup- 19.9 fiber
    kidney beans cooked- 11.6
    avacodo- med. 11.8
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    Grain Products:

Whole grain products are rich in both soluble and insoluble fiber. Levels of fiber differ dramatically across brands and products, so make sure you always read the label and look for at least 5 grams of fiber per serving. Here are some good ideas to start off your search:
    ■ whole grain breads, buns, bagels, muffins
    ■breakfast cereals with at least 5 g of fiber per serving such as All Bran, Fiber One, Smart Bran, and Go Lean
    ■ Cooked cereal such as Red River and Oat Bran
    ■ whole-wheat pastas
    ■ whole grains such as barley, popcorn, corn and brown rice
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    Fruits:

Fruits are excellent sources of many vitamins and antioxidants, but not all fruits are high in fiber, as some of them are mostly water. Choose these ones if you would like a fiber boost:
    ■dried fruits such as apricots, dates, prunes and raisins
    ■ berries such as blackberries, blueberries, raspberries and strawberries
    ■ oranges, apple with skin, avocado, kiwi, mango and pear

Vegetables:

Like fruits, vegetables are amazing sources of many nutrients but not necessarily high in fiber. The following are known for their high fiber contents:
    ■ dark leafy greens such as spinach and swiss chard
    ■ broccoli and cauliflower
    ■ eggplant
    ■ squash
    ■ celery
    ■ green peas
    ■ tomatoes
    ■ dried peas and beans such as kidney beans, lima beans, black-eyed beans, chick peas and lentils

Nuts and Seeds:

Nuts and seeds come up just about everywhere in nutrition halls of fame, and why would fiber be an exception? Adding nuts and seeds, such as almonds, whole flaxseeds, and soy nuts to your diet is a delicious way to up your fiber intake.

The Bottom Line

Although it is important to add more fiber to your diet, make sure you don't go overboard all at once! Add fiber slowly and gradually to avoid unpleasant gastrointestinal symptoms such as bloating, gas,and cramps.
    Printer-friendly version
  • sw2000sw
    sw2000sw Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Check how much water you consume as well; it really makes a difference.
  • Bec_88
    Bec_88 Posts: 45
    Options
    ALL Bran fiber toppers (Australia) are awesome, I love to add them to shakes, yogurt, cereals, salads etc
  • marylorrainecox
    marylorrainecox Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is a great source. I like steel cut oats or

my new favorite is Quaker Oats Weight Control, which as whey protein added for a little more protein support. I usually add a cup of blueberries to the oats, which adds even more fiber. I have been very comfortable bathroom-wise since starting this.

Beans are great source. I love black beans.
    Spinach which is in may of the Amy's lasagnas that I eat, is also a good source.
    Celery with peanut-butter and dipped in flax seed is good,
    almond butter mixed with flax seed (eating this before bed is great)
    Apples (with the skin) dipped in peanut-butter or just plain.

Those are my favorites and they are definitely working for me. :)
  • Cockney365
    Cockney365 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have brown rice most days, also eat a lot of spinach or recently curly kale. I try and throw vegetables into most meals, even if they are just the frozen mixed vegetables. Beans, All Bran, couscous and bulghur wheat all, er, 'increase gas production', shall we say. Dried apricots as a little snack are also helpful.
  • Love_Is_My_Fuel
    Love_Is_My_Fuel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Some really awesome idea's here..particularly the fibre capsules...I eat beans, fruits, nuts and still have trouble getting enough fibre...going to get some fibre capsules pronto!! Thanks everyone
  • urbliss777
    urbliss777 Posts: 48
    Options
    All_Bran_Buds.jpg

add a tbsp of these to other foods. Most times you won't even notice it.

Thank you, I bought these today. I was worried about the taste. But they taste SO good!!! :) I will have then daily as a snack.
  • urbliss777
    urbliss777 Posts: 48
    Options
    Omg, thank you SO much for this. Apparently normal ppl go to the bathroom every day... I need more fiber! haha. i get apparently 8grams at most on a regular basis. I am going to buy this stuff.

actually everyone is different and has a different normal..you should go at least every 3 days

really? I thought every day at least. Well I get 8g of fiber at best every day... MFP says that its not enough... I apparently need I think 14g
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    If your goal is staying regular, I'd recommend adding 40g of pitted prunes to your diet every day.
    marry me :)
  • connie_messina
    connie_messina Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I eat quite a few salads and veggies but what I've really found helps me meet my numbers is when I eat a Quest protein bar. It has 17g of fiber, which is a very nice supplement.
  • criscindymalosh
    Options
    My new favorite dessert is to blend one cup of frozen blackberries and one cup of frozen raspberries together and eat it like a frozen treat. 170 calories and a whopping 16 grams of fiber!
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    If you are also looking for additional protein. The Quest Protein bars are around 170 calories, most have around 20 grams of protein and 15 - 18 grams of fiber. They are also very filling. :)