This lifestyle isn't for the thin-skinned.

Options
2»

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I like your thinking and I love the topic heading. You are absolutely right if you don't have a certain degree of thick skin and can take the ugly with the bad (from yourself and others) and brush yourself off after failure after failure you will never succeed.

I'm stealing this thought because it's a good thought. Stay strong.
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Whoa. Four plastic surgeries by the age 22? It makes me sad that she's seemingly that uncomfortable in her own skin that she feels the need to make costly permanent changes. :frown:

Your reaction was perfect! :smile:
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Hey maybe she is actually just trying to say something nice but she is tripping over her own words because of the previous exchange the two you already had. It is entirely possible that she is actually trying just say something nice and she is in one of those situations where she can't win no matter what she says because if the words don't come out exactly right then you are going to insert the worst possible meaning. I can't say for sure because all I have to go on in this one thread post but I felt that someone should mention this possibility.

She knows I can take criticism well and probably why she even says those things to me. I really wasn't complaining or anything, just sharing my experiences. I know comments like that can do harm to others, but it shouldn't. I've told her I'm not interested in plastic surgery she just keeps pushing the idea my way which is why I said it isn't for the thin-skinned.

First let me say to OP, I totally understand the point of your post...that people say goofy stuff, well intentioned or not, and we have to let a lot of stuff roll off our backs. That is a powerful lesson to be learned in life.

This bitty probably assumes everyone thinks plastic surgery is a given for people. I have a neighbor who had a boob job, and then her sister had a boob job, and they assume when the 9 year old is old enough (18 years old) they will help pay for her boob job. It is assumed that people want boob jobs in their minds as they wanted them and they love the results so clearly every one wants one.

as I get older I actually find comedic value in the things people say that they mean in a positive way or in a supportive way that come out the complete opposite. I know that someday someone will say something to them of the like and they will learn. I have learned so much from unintentionally hurtful comments. I am sure I said some dumb *kitten* things in my youth and I am far more cautious now to not be so clueless.
  • zazielascaux
    zazielascaux Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I read that a *****y comment = being slightly threatened. So with all the surgery she is probably quite insecure about herown looks, and as you get fitter and healthier looking she is getting a little threatened by it. That also explains why you prefer the bad to the good- on some level you know that when people make *****y remarks it means you are on the right track!
  • skwirlslady
    Options
    The sad part about your twenty two year old co-worker is in a few years all these surgeries she has had so early in her life, is going to back fire because regardless to what has been operated on to date when age hits her its going to start falling and becoming misplaced anyway, and since it sounds like she doesn't work for her appearance,she is going to have to keep going to the knife for perfection, when you have accomplished your own perfection through hard work. Who knows maybe in ten years the little slick comments she makes about you now, you can return to her with a smile! Laugh at her ignorance!:laugh:
  • tomii13
    tomii13 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I like your thinking and I love the topic heading. You are absolutely right if you don't have a certain degree of thick skin and can take the ugly with the bad (from yourself and others) and brush yourself off after failure after failure you will never succeed.

I'm stealing this thought because it's a good thought. Stay strong.

Thanks. I appreciate that and take it as a compliment <3
  • tomii13
    Options
    Hey maybe she is actually just trying to say something nice but she is tripping over her own words because of the previous exchange the two you already had. It is entirely possible that she is actually trying just say something nice and she is in one of those situations where she can't win no matter what she says because if the words don't come out exactly right then you are going to insert the worst possible meaning. I can't say for sure because all I have to go on in this one thread post but I felt that someone should mention this possibility.

She knows I can take criticism well and probably why she even says those things to me. I really wasn't complaining or anything, just sharing my experiences. I know comments like that can do harm to others, but it shouldn't. I've told her I'm not interested in plastic surgery she just keeps pushing the idea my way which is why I said it isn't for the thin-skinned.

First let me say to OP, I totally understand the point of your post...that people say goofy stuff, well intentioned or not, and we have to let a lot of stuff roll off our backs. That is a powerful lesson to be learned in life.

This bitty probably assumes everyone thinks plastic surgery is a given for people. I have a neighbor who had a boob job, and then her sister had a boob job, and they assume when the 9 year old is old enough (18 years old) they will help pay for her boob job. It is assumed that people want boob jobs in their minds as they wanted them and they love the results so clearly every one wants one.

as I get older I actually find comedic value in the things people say that they mean in a positive way or in a supportive way that come out the complete opposite. I know that someday someone will say something to them of the like and they will learn. I have learned so much from unintentionally hurtful comments. I am sure I said some dumb *kitten* things in my youth and I am far more cautious now to not be so clueless.

I think you have a point there about the assumption. Very true.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    haha. Love your post comment. Nice to see someone who will keep them natural after the weight loss. woo!

And she's not blonde. lol. But does have a self esteem/image issue.

oh well.
    [/quote]

i am definitely not surprised that she has self esteem issues. I'm not going to say what I feel about plastic surgery and why people feel the need to do all of that to themselves..... but im sure you can figure my thoughts out on your own.
    hmf!
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Her offering her surgeon's card might be even more selfish than a backhanded compliment. She might get a discount on her next surgery for bring him/her the business!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options

I think you have a point there about the assumption. Very true.

The boob job neighbor's husband is making her wait until she is 45 to get botox. The neighbor assumes that I haven't gotten a boob job YET due to money issues or that I am trying to fix other things first so I can decide how big I want them.
  • ElizabethLovesFood
    ElizabethLovesFood Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    guess my skin needs to get thicker cause i wouldve said something ugly back to her, back handed her, or did everything i could to make at least that day a living hell for her. Just me...ive actually dealt with a coworker with that personality..i made everyday i could as hard as possible for her and felt so accomplished when she would get red faced or even cry..people like that bring out the mean in me!
  • tomii13
    Options
    The boob job neighbor's husband is making her wait until she is 45 to get botox. The neighbor assumes that I haven't gotten a boob job YET due to money issues or that I am trying to fix other things first so I can decide how big I want them.

Ugh! That's frustrating. They can do whatever they please with their bodies but I don't like how some people assume it's more for financial reasons than anything else. Stand your ground. lol I'm with ya! btw lol @ "the boob job neighor's husband" gotta love nicknames.
  • tomii13
    Options
    Her offering her surgeon's card might be even more selfish than a backhanded compliment. She might get a discount on her next surgery for bring him/her the business!

lol good point.
    guess my skin needs to get thicker cause i wouldve said something ugly back to her, back handed her, or did everything i could to make at least that day a living hell for her. Just me...ive actually dealt with a coworker with that personality..i made everyday i could as hard as possible for her and felt so accomplished when she would get red faced or even cry..people like that bring out the mean in me!

yikes! I'm sorry to hear. But it's not for it my dear. I'm just 26 and pretty clueless at life, but I learned to not sweat the small stuff. I don't let those who don't matter affect me. Now, if they do matter to me - that's a diff story.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Surgery of any kind, even very minor, can be life threatening. Anesthesia is always a risk as is infection, which is becoming more and more common.

If your "pal" wants to risk her life to look better, that's fine for her, but you have chosen to work at it and improve your chances for a longer, healthier life.

Just laugh her off, she's not worth the effort of even worrying about.

Congrats on your hard work and success. Doing it the correct way is always more rewarding in the long run.