Avocado or Avoca- don't: Are they actually good for you?

Options

Replies

• BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Subtle Walmart bashing.....my Walmart is just fine with produce and not overpriced.

Having said that, why do people presume fat = bad? Avocados are healthy. I eat them regularly. Even from Walmart.
  • vidasana87
    vidasana87 Posts: 75
    Options
    I eat a whole avocado every day. Half in the morning, other half with dinner.

I have never found these to cause weight gain. I guess this is where "If it fits your macros comes in". ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    OP...you're confusing nutrition with calories. Just because something is calorie dense doesn't make it "bad" for you...likewise, just because something is low calorie doesn't mean it has any nutritional value.

Yes, avocados are a calorie dense food...thus if you ate a ton of avocados it would be really easy to go over your calorie goals. But they are an extremely nutrient dense food as well...they are very good for you. I eat 1/2 an avocado probably 4 days per week...they're awesome.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Eating too much lettuce can tip the scales the wrong way.
  • china1977
    china1977 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    baked avocado fries? interesting...please post or message me on how to make.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Of course they can tip the scales the wrong way if you eat too much of them. Eating in excess is what causes weight gain. If you eat a reasonable amount of them, you'll be fine, just like anything else.
  • RobynSmithIBECHS
    RobynSmithIBECHS Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Lol, aboslutely nothing is wrong with fruit flies. I just don't like them on my apple when I take a bite
  • kiykiy79
    kiykiy79 Posts: 177
    Options
    Eating too much of anything can tip the scale in the wrong way... I personally love avocados and they have been a staple in my diet since I started my journey... Always remember everything in moderation.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    In for the 'Avocado fries' recipe. PLEASE POST! :D
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    In general they're good for you, although they aren't super low in calories. But they're very healthy.

I think I'll have guacamole for dinner tonight. =)
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    In my experience, whenever I've eaten a lot of avocados, which is whenever I can get my greedy hands on ripe ones, they help me to stay satisfied for long periods of time and lose weight. I can easily eat one or two a day. :D Yum!
  • BanjoKd
    BanjoKd Posts: 150
    Options
    I brought 2 small ones to work today. I eat about 4-5 a week. I cut them in half and eat them right out of the skin with a spoon. Definitely one of my favorites.
  • beckyrosareece
    beckyrosareece Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Avocado is so wonderful. I make chunky guacamole with avocado, tomato, onion, garlic & lime and put it on burgers and other sandwiches instead of mayo. It's so yummy, sometime I just eat it for a snack.
  • Keran24
    Keran24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Avocados are awesome for you! High is MUFAs. Just measure what you eat and log your calories.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I eat one at least 3X per week. Avocados are AWESOME.
  • hendelk
    hendelk Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I live in Avoca...never heard of it being a food tho. I may have to Google that. :)

Would it happen to be the Avoca that is in SW MN? Saw the title of the post and thought the exact same thing! :laugh:
  • christineannecurtis
    christineannecurtis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I need that recipe for baked avo fries!
  • chm2616
    chm2616 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I love avocados!! I eat a few every week!
  • cathomer
    cathomer Posts: 88
    Options
    Really healthy, really delicious, perfect food!
  • kmcgaw
    kmcgaw Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Everything tastes better with avocado. I use it as a mayo substitute, add it to omelettes, top my chili with it instead of sour cream and cheese. It is a very healthy addition to your diet and at the end of the day, it shouldn't be just about how many calories are in a food, but whether the food is giving you back nutrients to be healthy.