Logging cleaning

Options
I have diagnosed obsessive compulsive disorder and -- while I've already factored in my daily cleaning to my lifestyle -- there are days where I deep clean for quite a few hours. Why is logging cleaning frowned upon?

Edited for clarification :smile:

Replies

• xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Why is your cleaning frowned upon or the logging of your cleaning?
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    People view it as just a "normal, every-day" activity that's not really exercise. IDK. Toss on a HRM and chest-strap and see how much you burn. I'm guessing that MFP grossly overestimates the calories burnt, but IDK. I've logged cleaning before, and don't look down upon anyone else who does either. It can be hard work that raises HR and gets you sweating if you're really into it.
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I've logged cleaning and yard work, because some days that's all I can manage for exercise. For me it's trying to keep at the 1,200 calorie intake and keep my Hashimoto's in check. If people judge, it's on them :wink: ha ha
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    You'd probably be better off with an activity monitor like a FitBit rather than a HRM which isn't so good for longer low intensity stuff like cleaning.
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    People view it as just a "normal, every-day" activity that's not really exercise. IDK. Toss on a HRM and chest-strap and see how much you burn. I'm guessing that MFP grossly overestimates the calories burnt, but IDK. I've logged cleaning before, and don't look down upon anyone else who does either. It can be hard work that raises HR and gets you sweating if you're really into it.
    I'll try to do so the next time! I don't log the entire time either; I typically log about 50-75% of the time I actually worked so I don't overeat in result.
  • meeeshellllle
    meeeshellllle Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I clean professionally which is extremely hard work so I do occasionally log it
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Well, I say if you break a sweat.... log it!
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I don't log it, but it's never enough to get a burn. LOL. If I mowed the lawn, which I have never done so probably won't, I would ~maybe~ log it, but that's pushing it. Shoveling snow? Probably log it. Cleaning toilet/vacuuming? Nope.
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I would say log it only if you have your activity level set at sedentary ... if you've already factored it into your activity level you would be effectively counting it twice
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Well, I know that when I have to deep clean - major work (I do have a bunch of kids AND a husband LOL) - then I'm putting in some work. Especially if it's during a time when I usually am not doing anything. I'd keep logging it. You know if you're working harder than usual.
  • butterflyluv1218
    Options
    I never log cleaning. To me that's stuff your body is already accustomed to. Maybe mowing the lawn or something like that. Not doing dishes, mopping, etc. Just my opinion though. :)
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM when I am cleaning, especially deep cleaning to see exactly my calories burned
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    For me if it's stuff like a quick vaccumming/dusting/taking out trash, I don't. But when it's a 'real'cleaning, like moving furniture, down on hands and knees scrubbing, scrubbing tile and like....then I do, since that's a once a month type of thing.
  • sjcook23
    sjcook23 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I sweat when I clean. It's a workout and don't let anybody tell you otherwise.
  • HollyRed13
    HollyRed13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Personally my lifestyle is incredibly sedentary, so I log any kind of exercise. Even if I only cleaned for two or three minutes - because it's more active than I would be if I were just sat down like normal. It's not like it would make a major difference and I don't eat back my exercise calories where I can help it.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters why OTHERs might frown upon logging cleaning. You are a unique situation with the OCD cleaning you are doing. I bet you are burning some serious cals sometimes depending on what you are doing. If I were you and I had an HRM, I'd wear it to see if it comes out to a lot of cals and log them. If I didn't have one, I'd just use MFP's presets with the time you spent and judge for yourself whether it was "vigorous" or "light".

My situation is unique because I clean rarely since I have help, and a number of injuries that make it not a thing I do steadily enough to account for the activity level in my MFP presets as active or whatnot. So I don't. Whenever I do get to do it, I get so gung ho, just because I can, usually it's a less often tended to task and those always take extra effort, and I love the smells. So it gets pretty groovy, I put on music and everything and work up a sweat and get into lots of crazy squat, reach, wax on-wax off, moves and poses, so I log it.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I only log cleaning if I'm doing some really crazy amount of work that's got me all out of breath (say preparing for a yard sale and I'm lugging logs of stuff up and down the stairs, lots of bending etc) or cleaning the car or something. Otherwise, I say its factored in your everyday activities and you're kind of cheating yourself by giving yourself extra calories you didn't really earn. Exercise means exercise.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    People just like to be right... that's why they judge.

I'm in the "as long as your calories are set to sedentary, then it's ok to log it" camp. I have had a couple of friends that log cooking and cleaning as their activities and they have lost a decent amount of weight... they look awesome.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I'm not allowed to log any of my exercise, but am allowed to log time in the sauna, by that metric. :sad:
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options

you could be sweating because of how hot it is