Do you track your calories when you over-eat?

Options

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I usually track, even if I am over. Sometimes I'll commit to not tracking - like while away camping or on vacation, or going to a pot-luck event or something. Depends...
  • dsgoingtodoit
    dsgoingtodoit Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    MOST DEFINITELY...and it is painful sometimes....but the truth is....
    it helps to understand where that residual weight gain down the road came from.
    If I gain...and I've been eating "clean"...but I've not been drinking my water...and frankly...overeating on protein...or carbs...
    or undereating.... I know then what happened. If I don't chart it...I WILL forget...and won't make those connections.
    Honesty is the best policy in all things to do with your nutrition...I'll leave the decision about other things in life to your
    discretion. ;D
  • EllieBMackal
    EllieBMackal Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    not really lol
  • asola80
    asola80 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    yes i do it really helps me stay on the track instead of giving up after bad days
    i remeber i went really crazy one day and went beyond 3000 cals!!
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt.. I'm all up tight when I have to log.. So if im trying to have fun with my friends I wana be spontaneous :)
  • JudieJudes
    JudieJudes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I track everything - I like to see it for what it is - no point in kidding myself :bigsmile:
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I do track to the best of my ability, in order to hold myself accountable. If I don't, I'll find it's super easy just to let everything slide and have a massive feast because of "writing it off" as a day when I over-ate.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Yes, I log everything.
  • davidaward14
    davidaward14 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. No point in ever tracking if you're not going to honestly track.

I 100% agree with the post above!!!
  • boneheadeb
    boneheadeb Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Nah, water under the bridge. Just start fresh, I don't see any need to beat myself up.
  • Kifissia
    Kifissia Posts: 136
    Options
    YES. Helps me adjust for the rest of the week and I work out more. Instead of seeing it like a 'punishment', I see it like budgeting my money, only with food.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Yes, even if it s 3000 calories over.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!
    Then when my weight goes up I know the trigger
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Yes, no sense in being dishonest with myself.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I log everything.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I log the good, the bad, and the seriously ugly! Only way for me to do this is to be brutally honest with myself.
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I usually don't, unless whatever I ate can be *easily* tracked - pre-packaged foods and the like.

If I went all-out at, for example, a potluck, chock-full of casseroles with who-knows-what for ingredients, or if I was nibbling bits of this, and tastes of that - MFP is such a royal PITA to track stuff like that. Sure, I could pick 'potato salad' out of the list, but *whose* potato salad? The one that's basic, or the one with a million calorie-heavy ingredients? And what if I thought the mac and cheese at the potluck was really rich and laden with calories - but it was actually made with cauliflower? Suddenly I've eaten perhaps hundreds of calories *less* than I thought....which could totally affect how I manage my eating for the rest of the day/week/whatever.

So if I 'overeat' - I rarely track in specifics anymore.

What I *do* do, however, is write a note explaining what I ate, and sometimes approximate amounts (as in - 'three bites of hubby's burrito' or 'a slice of homemade pizza'). And then I get back on track the next day.

This is easy for me to do, because I usually eat a very small rotating menu - usually the same things every day or few days. so most days, tracking is easy, and it's just the 'wild' days that are hard.

If I felt I had to track every stinking morsel of food, including recipes that I didn't make - I would never track. I would be thinking about food, and how much, and what the heck is in this stuff, rather than enjoying time with friends and family, and frankly, if healthy eating is going to be a lifestyle, that nitpicky lifestyle isn't the kind of life I want to live.

Sometimes good enough is good enough.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I track everything, even ugly days when I'm over by 300+ cals, because I want to know exactly what's going on with my body. If these over days are not logged, I can't tell how well my caloric restriction & exercise work in that time period.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Ummm...sometimes. When I NEED to splurge (i.e. severely under my calories for the week) I try to track as much as I can but I don't obsess over it. Usually my splurge consists of one meal so I will track all the way up until that. Tracking for me is to make sure I stay under so on my occasional splurges when I have to room to eat and I NEED to eat, it doesn't matter if I track or not.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!