Do you eat back the calories earned from exercise?

Options

Replies

• rachelerwin
    rachelerwin Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Yes I do.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I control my weight through deficit or surplus with my diet. I will say that when I had a LOT of extra weight I only ate about 50%.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Seems to be working for me.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I want to but I have a hard time determining how many calories I REALLY burn during exercise.

You can do the machines in the gym and those are accurate ...otherwise the gym wouldn't be so expensive probably lol

Not really. It is still a rough guesstimate. To ensure not going ove I eat probably 25-75% usually.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    nope
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I want to but I have a hard time determining how many calories I REALLY burn during exercise.

You can do the machines in the gym and those are accurate ...otherwise the gym wouldn't be so expensive probably lol

You've got to be kidding.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Some yes, depends on what my fitbit is telling me :)

I'm also doing a custom goal, not through MFP (they told me 1200 a day, but I was STARVING). So I'm at 1400 a day. I try and just balance at 0 net, or a few over (I've been sick more recently, and some days i'm not getting nearly enough, I know.)

I'm getting worries since I start maintenance in a bit... not sure how i'll eat so much, but I'll figure it out!
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Depends on how hungry I am...if I'm ravenous, then every single one, but if not, I'm not hugely worried about it as I don't think they're particularly accurate in all situations. I figure that if I'm hungry, I've definitely burned that much, but if I'm not, I probably haven't. Over time, it seems to even itself out and work fairly well for me that way.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Do you eat the calories earned from exercise???

Google NEAT method. MFP is NEAT method calculator and assumes no exercise in your activity level setting. Therefore exercise becomes extra activity with a NEAT method calculator. Also, get dictionary out and look up the word goal.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I try to do about 1/2
  • happythermia
    happythermia Posts: 374
    Options
    It just depends from day to day. If I'm hungry, then definitely! If not, I'll skip them.

But it does probably make a difference that my exercise is yoga & walking as opposed to ninja cardio ;-)
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Most of the time, yeah :)
  • yodacho
    yodacho Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If I don't, the next day I tend to want to eat everything in sight, so I eat most of my exercise calories back.
  • squirrelgirl3
    Options
    I sure do! I love food! I bought a Fitbit Zip so I can accurately track the calories I actually burn. I've lost 12 lbs since I bought it in January.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    No...I am losing two pounds a week on average. But do what works for you.
  • annebaum41912
    annebaum41912 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

You've got to be kidding.

Agreed. Those things are so inaccurate it's ridiculous. When I went by them I thought I was burning around 550-600 calories in an hour walking on the treadmill (with a decent incline) but both the hrm monitor i used to use and the bodymedia fit i currently use show me that is almost DOUBLE what i actually burn.

As for the original question, I eat back some of them. I tend to just focus mostly on the deficit I want each day which is easy with the body media. I usually end up somewhere around 1500 calories a day.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    yup, always have, always will.

http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Usually only half of them.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    No I don't cuz from the way I understood it you have to have a calorie "deficit" to lose weight. If you eat them all bk that is what you are suppose to need to eat to maintain your weight and still have the proper nutrition you need. I do eat some of them bk just to have the extra fuel to keep going but I never eat them all bk while I am losing weight anyways.
  • carlogs619
    carlogs619 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    yup I sure do.