Thoughts on Rice?(:

Options

Replies

• AdviDaddy
    AdviDaddy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Hey.. I am a South Indian and my staple diet is rice (quite naturally!). Anything is good. Moderation is the key word here. You need to know how much you can consumer / day. If you are consuming enough protein (which may not be the case for most of us Indian), then I dont think you have any serious problem with rice consumption.

Brown rice is good too. You can try that instead of white or basmati rice.

Bottomline - Rice is not bad. Over consumption is.
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I won't eat brown rice due to the high inorganic arsenic levels. Somehow that just doesn't sound all that "healthy" to me. I am switching to barley.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Im Indian too. Rice was like crack to me...sadly i had to cut it out since one little handful wasnt enough for me...but its only because im a greedy pig :laugh:

i say, eat it. If you control your portions and work out...its like any other food. It all boils ( heh) down to willpower
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Not my favorite source of carbs (I'd rather have potatoes), but definitely not bad for you as long as it fits your calories.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are that rice is yummy. I eat white rice almost every day. 3/4 cup (cooked) is 150 calories of white fluffy goodness. See ticker for how that's working for me.
  • DCruz83
    DCruz83 Posts: 99
    Options
    My only complaint about rice is that I don't find it very filling. I usually have white rice that I mix with frozen veggies but for what it's worth, it's definitely good but definitely control portions as I'm sure there's way better options for the calorie count and how fulfilling they'll be. I know you said you didn't like quinoa but that is actually way more filling, reminds me I should make some again, been a while!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Eat rice if you like it. White, brown, black, red, doesn't matter if you find it tasty and weigh out your serving.
  • Smirfettewithmuscles
    Options
    Rice is the best! It's only bad if you eat too much of it. Brown rice even had a decent amount of protein in it.
  • Beavergong
    Beavergong Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    When we eat rice which is only about 1 or 2 a week we make a mixture of .5 cup of basmati and .5 brown cooked with 2.5 cups of boiling water for 22 minutes in the microwave. It always comes out fine and tastes great.
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Well, I eat rice during dinner daily. It is a staple to me. And I have been losing consistently. Just have to make sure to fit it within your calorie goals and your macros and you'd do just fine :)

Edited to add that I use a food scale religiously for an accurate food log. :)
  • ppdes
    ppdes Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I will say two things:

1. Brown better than white
    2. HOWEVER - if you're sticking to your macros, you will do fine even with white rice. I mean, keep a daily carb goal of x grams. (an ideal goal is 40:30:30 i.e 40% carb, 30% proteins and 30% fats - but for us Asians, it is way too difficult. Especially the Indians. I too am an Indian and struggle like you to reduce rice or overall carb intake). My current carb goal is 138 gms based on my daily calorie goal which is 40%. I dont always meet this goal, but knowing my goal and recording my food keeps me in check at least. I dont usually exceed beyond a point. And I eat any type of carb within that goal. Having said that, I must admit that I dont eat rice daily nowadays, which I was used to eating. But I do eat it 3-4 times a week, once during the day. I think after I started controlling carb intake and filling that calorie gap with proteins+fats, I have seen good results. Especially the muscle build-up within last 3 weeks. Thats fastest I've ever seen muscle definition in my attempts....
  • ang3li
    ang3li Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I only eat two sources of carbs: brown rice and sweet potato.

I say go for it!
  • GravyBrah
    GravyBrah Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Its a tough sell trying to convince anyone from the Asian continent that rice is bad for them. There have also been some studies that have shown genetic adaptations in the way certain races process carbohydrates like rice, which is consumed as a staple food for generations by billions.

I think it comes down to each individual and how their body reacts to certain foods. Moderation with all foods is common sense.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    brown rice is better for you than whit e rice

Do you go out of your way to be wrong with everything you say?

If you have had adequate fibre for the day how is brown rice better?

Can't be bothered know but there was a study done that actually showed white rice was better for a post workout meal for maximum uscle protein synthesis. The additional fibre in brown rice meant that the amount exreted was larger and hence less protein was absorbed. Yep, there's your TMI post for the day :laugh:
  • iwantwow
    iwantwow Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    so...i am an indian too and i know what our diet patterns are..dont worry about(i know in india every one thinks its bad for weight),if u can, just remove the starch..thats what i do ..also portion control ..as long as it fits in your calories ,do it.....one more thing sometimes i cook half rice -half quinoa...give it a try.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I only eat two sources of carbs: brown rice and sweet potato.

I say go for it!

It must be tough avoiding veggies, fruits, and sugars.
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options
    I love rice but I can not control myself to eat small portions so I stay away from rice completely. If you can have small portions I believe it is okay.
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of brown rice and have had no problem losing weight so far. I also eat white rice occasionally if I'm craving it, but I prefer the taste of brown so usually go to that.
  • be_patient
    be_patient Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    it's really energy dense? That doesn't help with losing fat...I'd rather eat more flavoursome stuff than...rice. But when I do, it's only red rice or brown rice
  • Cocozest
    Cocozest Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Rice is a major component for thai and vietnamese cooking, >.< I MUST have it.

Too much of anything can be bad for you. Although rice is good, i think of it more as a filler than any real nutrition. I still eat it in most dishes but reduce the portion sizes. Portion control is always important. I find if i eat too much rice products (rice, noodles, etc) I feel sluggish from it. It might be from my blood sugar spiking after a meal, but i didn't like it so ate less of it.