Show us your failed meals!

Options
Pearlyladybug
Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
Sometimes meals just don't work out as we plan, Yesterday was one of those days for me...I was looking forward to trying my honeyed pork lions that I prepared in the morning in the crock pot!

Until i got home and found this.......
274382f8-03f5-45a2-992d-f3acb8603e1b_zps5ce65ac6.jpg

Rock hard dried up pork and this ^ was with a bit of boiling water added in a attempt to save it!

I was heart broken! And they say crockpot meals are easy..I call BS:laugh:

anyone else got any fails they want to share?

Replies

• Kingeight
    Kingeight Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If something I cook somehow turns ugly I hide the evidence and pretend it never happened.
  • srm1960
    srm1960 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    ????????????sorry that looks like a space galaxy!!
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I didn't take photos this time, but the other day my brother went out and turned on the grill for me and I didn't realize it was turned all the way up and put the food on the grill and ran back in the house for something. I came back out and had caught 16 burgers and 8 hotdogs on fire. The hotdogs were ruined, the burgers were edible with cheese added but definitely more charred than I like.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    haha great thread. My failures are always pancakes. If I stuff up the liquidity or use a crappy pan. DEAD. Still tasty but look terrible.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    I didn't take photos this time, but the other day my brother went out and turned on the grill for me and I didn't realize it was turned all the way up and put the food on the grill and ran back in the house for something. I came back out and had caught 16 burgers and 8 hotdogs on fire. The hotdogs were ruined, the burgers were edible with cheese added but definitely more charred than I like.

Hahaha Ohh no!!

I did manage to eat this! but my partner wasn't going near it! It wasn't as terrible as it looks
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    vegetable omelettes!!! WHY do I always stuff them up?!?! How the f do you make them successfully!
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    haha great thread. My failures are always pancakes. If I stuff up the liquidity or use a crappy pan. DEAD. Still tasty but look terrible.

hahah yes pancakes are bad, Also I'm bad it corn fritters.

I have found another pic from a while go....This one makes me laugh every time i see it

7c3cd503-fca3-430b-8f54-4738a837bf1e_zps554ad961.jpg

edit: these were suppose to be gluten free chocolate chip berry muffins
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    vegetable omelettes!!! WHY do I always stuff them up?!?! How the f do you make them successfully!

This is way i have scrambled eggs for breakfast i gave up on trying to make Omelettes :laugh:
  • StevenjHaley
    Options
    Brilliant thread! I am always to scared to try and cook something, knowing out there that others have problems should at least make me have a go. Cheers.
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Ahaha.. Failures...

Tried making a cake from a mixture of custard powder, cornflour, sugar and other weird things. Needless to say, it tasted weird and made me feel ill! :ohwell:

Another slow cooker fail – attempted making porridge and cooked it too long, only to find a congealed, condensed mixture floating atop hot water! :grumble:

I attempted to make zucchini fritters once but wasn't following a recipe and ended up with a gooey mess that wouldn't stick together (still tasted good though XD).

My attempted paleo pancakes were a fail cause the batter kept sticking to the pan and I was trying to cook them too quickly.

My attempt at panforte was a fail because the first time I used too many nuts and the mixture was really, really dry, like nut brittle actually (still tasted pretty good but only I would eat it!). Plus, mum was cranky with me. Second time, I made it more liquid to appease my mother. But it was too moist and felt a bit like some kind of fudge.

Made yellow split peas in turmeric and undercooked the peas. Combined this with a stirfry I made using vegetables that smelled funny, and undercooked bacon. This was partly a result of my not having any money left and having to buy the cheapest things on offer and use up what I had.

Attempted to make apple cake, but use too much baking soda (because I thought I could sub powder for soda :noway:). Cake didn't rise and was gooey underneath the burnt top part. baking soda taste made the cake taste awful (which was a pity cause I put so much effort into making the best apple cinnamon compote, so many hours chopping apples gone to waste :grumble:).
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options

This is way i have scrambled eggs for breakfast i gave up on trying to make Omelettes :laugh:

HAHAH i don't even go THAT far! Ends up being poached eggs! I can poach but not omelette haha. Seriously everytime I try doing it and doing that flip thing it turns to mush hahah maybe a bit too many veggies
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    hahahahah that's a lot of fails!!

Damn food gods! why can't everything just work!
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options

HAHAH i don't even go THAT far! Ends up being poached eggs! I can poach but not omelette haha. Seriously everytime I try doing it and doing that flip thing it turns to mush hahah maybe a bit too many veggies

Well done on being able to poach though! getting the perfect can be quit hard as well!

I just smoosh it all together, It doesn't look pretty but it does taste alright i guess
  • meandmyface
    meandmyface Posts: 328
    Options
    I made a really nice pasta sauce with smoked chicken, cream, pesto and peas, thought I turned the hotplate on and ducked out of the house for an hour to grab coffee with friends, then this happened!!

735074_10151197006887061_696633207_n.jpg
  • meandmyface
    meandmyface Posts: 328
    Options
    Also melb_alex I suck at omelettes too lol, I think I try to put too many things in them! Always turns into scrambled eggs.
  • danglewtf
    danglewtf Posts: 29
    Options
    No pics: this was a state, a relationship and over a decade ago...

Used to have pet chickens. Started out with 4 unsexed chicks, 1 of which turned out to be a rooster. Somewhat frowned upon in a suburban neighbourhood, so once he was big enough we decided it was going to be roast rooster for Christmas lunch!
    The dispatch and cleaning went smoothly, and after he was neatly defeathered and gutted I trussed him up and tossed him in the freezer for a week. In retrospect, this appears to have been my big mistake!
    So Christmas Eve I defrosted Mr Chook, dressed him beautifully in a bacon lattice and shoved a bunch of seasoning up his bum.
    On Christmas morning I laid him on a comfy bed of potatoes, carrots, pumpkin and onions and placed him in a toasty warm oven with plenty of time to be done for lunch.

With defacto in-laws waiting in drooling expectation, I checked on Mr Chook - NOT READY! Still pink, and juices were by no means running clear. Hm, another 10 minutes, or my rep as a fancy-pants cook was going to take a severe battering...

Wind the clock forwards half an hour, and the bacon was starting to look a little crispy. Mr Chook had browned beautifully, but was still raw and bloody inside :-(

That's when partner's mother asks "did you allow him to rest in the fridge for 24 hours before you froze him?" wtf? Nobody told me rigor mortis needs to come and go before you freeze fresh-killed meat!

So roast chicken fail, impressing the in-laws fail, Christmas lunch not-quite-fail... lucky we had a chunk of ham on standby.

My chicken husbandry didn't last the distance, and neither did the relationship. Let's all move on ;-)
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    No pics: this was a state, a relationship and over a decade ago...

Used to have pet chickens. Started out with 4 unsexed chicks, 1 of which turned out to be a rooster. Somewhat frowned upon in a suburban neighbourhood, so once he was big enough we decided it was going to be roast rooster for Christmas lunch!
    The dispatch and cleaning went smoothly, and after he was neatly defeathered and gutted I trussed him up and tossed him in the freezer for a week. In retrospect, this appears to have been my big mistake!
    So Christmas Eve I defrosted Mr Chook, dressed him beautifully in a bacon lattice and shoved a bunch of seasoning up his bum.
    On Christmas morning I laid him on a comfy bed of potatoes, carrots, pumpkin and onions and placed him in a toasty warm oven with plenty of time to be done for lunch.

With defacto in-laws waiting in drooling expectation, I checked on Mr Chook - NOT READY! Still pink, and juices were by no means running clear. Hm, another 10 minutes, or my rep as a fancy-pants cook was going to take a severe battering...

Wind the clock forwards half an hour, and the bacon was starting to look a little crispy. Mr Chook had browned beautifully, but was still raw and bloody inside :-(

That's when partner's mother asks "did you allow him to rest in the fridge for 24 hours before you froze him?" wtf? Nobody told me rigor mortis needs to come and go before you freeze fresh-killed meat!

So roast chicken fail, impressing the in-laws fail, Christmas lunch not-quite-fail... lucky we had a chunk of ham on standby.

My chicken husbandry didn't last the distance, and neither did the relationship. Let's all move on ;-)

ahahahhahahah that is the best story ever! :flowerforyou: good job for trying
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    I made a really nice pasta sauce with smoked chicken, cream, pesto and peas, thought I turned the hotplate on and ducked out of the house for an hour to grab coffee with friends, then this happened!!

Oh no, I bet that smelt wonderful..not! lucky the house didn't burn down either!
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Can show you, but I made a quiche 2 nights ago, but used a round cake tin with a removable bottom instead of a quiche dish. 1/2 the mixture leaked out, to the bottom of the oven. What was left tasted good, I bought a quiche dish this afternoon.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Hot tip :tongue: Use a non stick pan that has low sides. Cook it all your stuff, then add the eggs last. Cook on medium heat. When you think it's about done but the top is still moist, take it off the stove and put it under the grill. Leave the plastic handle out! You can probably turn it 90 deg to get it evenly cooked. Then you just need to get a spatula around the edges and then further to the middle. Angle pan and just let it slide out onto the plate. That is the method I use and I make omelettes that are the size of a large plate :smile: