Thoughts on Rice?(:

Options

Replies

• krisalyn117
    Options
    Sure, as long as you keep track of how much of it you eat. And it's brown rice, like you said. Have you ever tried Israeli Couscous? best stuff ever!
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    My two favorite types of rice are the Thai jasmine rice, and the Japanese shorter tubbier sushi rice.
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    millions of people around the globe have been sustained by rice for millennia.

rice is not bad for you
  • ruby1387
    ruby1387 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm a South Indian. I used to have white rice twice a day, sometimes thrice too, but still managed to be super slim. 4 yrs back, I landed up with a sedentary job and started gaining weight. Then I said goodbye to rice and hello to whole wheat roti. But that didn't help me lose weight. Only exercise did. I think having rice daily shouldn't be a problem if you are regular with your exercise and maintaining a deficit.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I love rice and see no reason why you can't and won't be successful losing weight eating rice.

People demonize pasta, too, but I have pasta nearly everyday of my life, sometimes more than once a day, and am consistently losing weight at a healthy pace. I'm almost at my goal body fat % and weight. I'm working on the last 10 pounds now and then I will be under 20% body fat.

So, yay for pasta and rice!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

Bottomline - Rice is not bad. Over consumption is.
    ain't that the truth about most foods!

To the OP - do what works for you. Rice is a carb, so if you want to cut BACK (not out) you can do that - say have rice at one meal a day. Every ethnic /traditional diet will have some sort of carb in it, be it rice, or pasta, or bread, or potato, or cornmeal... I notice - FOR ME - that cutting back on carbs works, so i try to have it once a day. You may not need to cut that much, but do pay attention to portion SIZE.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Oh and brown basmatti rice, or Tilda rice, are amazing delicious! I used to think "rice,boring but necessary background for certain dishes" but with the brown basmati or tilda - it's YUM!
  • WalkingMermaid_
    WalkingMermaid_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Brown rice almost daily, it's a staple for me :)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    White rice is nutritionally bankrupt,
    What a silly thing to say. White rice still has a nutritional value it's a carb for one so provides energy. Yes it's missing things like thiamine in comparison to brown rice. But as with most things in moderation as part of a balanced diet is perfectly fine. I eat brown rice but also enjoy white rice on occasion. This culture of denial and accusation when people eat things not perceived as the healthy option is part of the reason for the health problems of the western cultures.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I love rice. i'm always at my thinnest in japan, and I eat it there 2x a day.
  • Weathers58
    Weathers58 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Eat celery rice then you lose weight whilst you eat it

I also eat tomato rice and white mice rice
  • prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I love White Rice and I eat every day...I sometimes substitute with brown rice...I have managed to lose 35 pounds...so doesn't matter...for me low carbs are less than 150 grams...I exercise a lot...so I need carbs...nothing Wrong in eating White rice...but yes you need to keep your portion in check..
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Bottomline - Rice is not bad. Over consumption is.

this...
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I saw a shop the other day advertising brown rice Sushi (in Australia). Can't say I've ever seen that in Japan! But I suppose so many people still believe in GI for it's satiety and weight loss purposes in Australia.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I saw a shop the other day advertising brown rice Sushi (in Australia). Can't say I've ever seen that in Japan! But I suppose so many people still believe in GI for it's satiety and weight loss purposes in Australia.

you can get it here in NZ too.... in Japan brown rice is available sometimes, but in like hippy organic vegan type places and most Japanese people think it's a bit strange when rice is brown. They do have it...just not in sushi!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options

you can get it here in NZ too.... in Japan brown rice is available sometimes, but in like hippy organic vegan type places and most Japanese people think it's a bit strange when rice is brown. They do have it...just not in sushi!

Interesting! Next time I'm in Japan I'm asking my friends if they eat it :tongue:
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Eat it. It doesn't matter. Brown. White. There are some very smart people who say that brown rice is actually not as good for you as white. At the end of the day, it's about total intake. If the rest of your diet is nutritious it doesn't matter. Bruce lee sure didn't care.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    If the rice fits into your macros it's good to go..
  • TheFitnessTutor
    Options
    I only eat two sources of carbs: brown rice and sweet potato.

I say go for it!

It must be tough avoiding veggies, fruits, and sugars.

lol! People and their misunderstanding of food. And if you say "you only eat two sources of carbs" you're missing the point of this whole tracking thing and you pass up the opportunity for more nutritious sources of food. But oh well.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    Options
    All this nonsense came from eating fads like Paleo and other bullspit trying to sell you a book or blog or special weight loss formula. Just another distraction and confusion. If you stay confused, you can be sold some more dumb shhhh