Do you track your calories when you over-eat?

Options

Replies

• larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Yes, and the reason is because it is the only way you will get an accurate assessment of where your calorie intake is on track. Because it is not any one day that really tells a person if there net calorie intake is on track to lose weight. The single closest indicator if you are on track for losing weight is your weekly net average calories. If these are 10-20% below your overall amount then you will lose weight at or slightly below your target rate. I do not say that from a "feelings" perspective but from a scientific analysis perspective. So, if you did not log all of your "good days and bad days" then you will not really know if you are on track and without that you will constantly shift your eating and exercise in hoping that you will lose. Sorry for the long post. Hope that helps and best wishes for you on your journey.
  • Marilyn2303
    Marilyn2303 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I always track, good or bad days. A day or two eating bad shouldn't cause too much damage
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Example, on Saturday I drank 1140 calories in Smirnoff Ices, and 360 on Budweiser, moral of the story, stick to beer :drinker:

I dont' track alochol...

but i am currently out of guiness and wine and vodka.. sooooooo...

I have coors light.. not sure why or how that got in my fridge..

and champagne.

That sounds like a party. LOL
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    This thread inspired me to log my binge day yesterday (I was uber hungover from my binge on Saturday night)...holy crab I ate over 4,000 calories yesterday!!! No more falling off the wagon (because I might crack the road)!
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I always log if I go over. :)
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    It's such a habit for me that I do it while I'm at the bar!

"Yes, I'll have another glass of wine", as I'm pulling up MFP on my Ipad. If I don't log it then, I won't remember everything I had when I get home or in the morning.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    it's impossible then I just stop and restart the following day. For example - at this Christening party I went to last weekend there was a buffet so I had small bites of what was served (it was all barbecue and those traditional bbq side dishes). There was no way to acccurately account for it so I just threw in the towel and got back on the horse the following day - LOTS of water, running, and "trackable" foods. P.S. I also had three glasses of wine because it was a family event. LOL.
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I track about 95% of the time, I didn't when I was on vacation because I am within my macros 95% of the time so on vacation (I had no internet access anyway) I did not log. I know I was way over, restaurant eating for 12 days there was no way I wasn't. I understand what food is healthiest and I chose those for most of my meals and then enjoyed the occasional dessert or treat. I kept my water intake to the same level and we were very active. Coming home I was up less than 2lbs so it was worth it.
  • lockmand
    lockmand Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    yes. Tracking teaches me the 5 "W"s ... When, Where, with Whom, What and Why I eat , Only by knowing this, can I make the proper changes to correct my errors. It does not mean that I can't eat at the When, or with the Whom per say. but it lets me see if I may need to carry "legal" snacks to certain places...or visit with a certain person at a different time of day say, mid morning rather than lunch or dinner time... go to a different place to enjoy a different type of activity to keep me more on track. There are things I cannot change, and I don't let those bother me. I just do what I can with the others. I find it very helpful. Try it and see what you learn.
    lockmand
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I mean like if you are away for a weekend or hang out with friends and throw caution to the wind re: food & alcohol; Do you still track, just to see how off track you got? Just curious.

Isn't that the point? I track every morsel and drop that crosses my lips.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Yes, most of the time.

1) Sometimes I'll feel absolutely horrible and know I'm "over" on calories, but then when I log it its not anywhere near where I'd thought so its nice to have that feeling of not royally screwing up like I had originally thought.

2) Sometimes its the other way around (like this weekend)... where I know I've gone over, but not sure how much. Then I log and go "OMFG &%#!". Then I take a deep breath... say tomorrow is another day and get back on track.. knowing that I will be about 2 lbs heavier for the next few days... but I don't sweat it too bad.
  • MissSharon2013
    MissSharon2013 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I track it all! The good, the bad and the very ugly!
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I track it all, if I am over I know it and if there is time I can go walk or get another workout in to make it balance out or be close.
    Other times it is what it is and I leave it being over. Its okay once in a blue moon just know what your calorie goal is and aim to reach that goal most days.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I try but when I go out to eat at a small place that has no calorie info available sometimes I don't log because I will just be guessing. But I wish everywhere had to include that info
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Nope! Every now and then (once every 1-2 weeks) I allow myself to indulge for the day and not count calories. Yes it may take a few days to return to my weight before the indulging but it helps me curb cravings. I just tell myself not to eat that piece of cake now or not to have a take away meal today because I will allow myself to do so in a weeks time and it will be "authorised". That way I get to still eat "bad" things that I like but don't feel annoyed over it because it was planned and I was still in control.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I generally log all the time, whether or not I overeat. I occasionally go to functions where logging is not possible. In those situations I try to keep a mental log as best as possible to know how far off I am getting.
  • NancyJeanSmith
    Options
    I track everything!!! I need to be honest with myself and with others, who are reading my food diary. It's no use doing any of this, if you're not honest with yourself, about what you eat. This site is full of people who are here to help you, so why would you lie to them? It all comes out in the wash!!! If you don't lose weight, people will know that you're not tracking what you're truly eating.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    Tracking is what helps you from overeating. Even if it's bad, at least you have an idea or else some would just continue to keep overeating.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Winston1717
    Winston1717 Posts: 184
    Options
    Yeah....I do..I don't want to but have a short memory. So at the end of the week when the scale hasn't moved...I look back. Lost 50 tracking good or bad.
  • hollynono
    hollynono Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    No. If I KNOW that I overindulged, I accept it and don´t have to see a number to make it real or feel bad about it. I just get back on the wagon the next day.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!