low carb, high fat

Options

Replies

• AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    When I started lifting heavy, which was about three months later, I found I could not do it on that very low carb intake. I was miserable and had to force myself to go to the gym, which was really unlike me. I adjusted my carbs up a notch and all was well. As I've lost fat and continued with the lifting, my insulin sensitivity has really improved to a great degree. I still can't eat carbs with abandon like healthy people can, but I have found that now I can tolerate about twice as many carbs as I could in the initial stages of my epic fat loss quest. Hooray for a bit of fruit and sweet potatoes!

This is where I hope to end up. With a balanced semi low carb diet and heavy lifting. Right now though I am sedentary due to disability and super low carb is the best way to reduce weight to fit into BMI charts so I can get my hips replaced. All of the research I have read in the past month about low carbing and ketosis actually advises higher carbs for those working out at regular intervals.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Low carb for what? low energy? Just eat normally, with a deficit if wanting to lose
  • mjschumacher100
    Options
    Going low carb or keto is crazy unless you are using it as intervention for some kind of metabolic or medical issue. If you're at 50% body fat then fine, if you have ADHD or autism then fine but otherwise don't do it. Yes you can lose significant weight in the short term but you won't sustain it, much will be water weight and your energy levels will die.

One reason low carb works is that many crappy foods/calorie dense are also high in carb so people think it's the lack of carbs that result in weight loss when actually it's just the cutting out of a ton of calories.

Everyone is different, some can eat more carbs than others but to go to either end of any spectrum is crazy. It's not sustainable and you'll have wasted a ton of time and feel like crap.

Eat sensibly, in moderation, don't limit yourself to specific food groups, don't treat 'treats' like something special, just eat them, make sure you're in a decent macro and calorie range and all will be fine.

People like to complicate things, many people like to push things on the basis of hype and often for money.

It's all very simple, don't do anything extreme. Don't eat like a pig. Enjoy all foods no matter how 'unhealthy' others think they might be. Keep within a calorie range that suits you, get some exercise every now and again and be happy. Oh, and sleep.
  • LilMissDB
    LilMissDB Posts: 133
    Options

by my eleventh day on less than 20 carbs and well into ketosis eating 66% protein, 1800kcal

That's a LOT of protein! Nearly 300g/day. Even if your lean body mass was 100kg (which I'm thinking is generous for most people), it would still be 0.47g nitrogen/kg! There's no way your body can cope with that, maximum protein utilisation sits at around 0.3g nitrogen/kg. Maybe something to think about.
  • gombolyu
    gombolyu Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am in maintenance mode for about 6 months eating around 2.000 kcals a day. I eat moderate carbs (100 net) higher in fat and protein (higher carb days time-to-time). I am still loosing weight. I eat my breakfast in the afternoon and my dinner after midnight as I feel good.

When I went down with my carb intake I felt terrible for about 10 days, but I counted on that. Sometimes I felt weird about my fat intake as all my friends eat low fat, but this seems to be working for me, so I dont worry anymore. I feel good. No cravings. I am healthier, and no more headaches.:) I had even 3 days migraine attacks before.

It is also true that I try to eat clean.
  • diamier
    diamier Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Honestly I see the best results with counting calories while eating a balance of everything. Hit your minimums in protein & fatvand let the rest fall where they may. Less stressful too.

Yeah, I see it less stressful too. You're not limited with foods and in my opinion, you can loose weight at the same pace and be in better mood if you balance the foods and follow a normal healthy diet. It's just simplier.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Going low carb or keto is crazy unless you are using it as intervention for some kind of metabolic or medical issue. If you're at 50% body fat then fine, if you have ADHD or autism then fine but otherwise don't do it. Yes you can lose significant weight in the short term but you won't sustain it, much will be water weight and your energy levels will die.

One reason low carb works is that many crappy foods/calorie dense are also high in carb so people think it's the lack of carbs that result in weight loss when actually it's just the cutting out of a ton of calories.

Everyone is different, some can eat more carbs than others but to go to either end of any spectrum is crazy. It's not sustainable and you'll have wasted a ton of time and feel like crap.

Eat sensibly, in moderation, don't limit yourself to specific food groups, don't treat 'treats' like something special, just eat them, make sure you're in a decent macro and calorie range and all will be fine.

People like to complicate things, many people like to push things on the basis of hype and often for money.

It's all very simple, don't do anything extreme. Don't eat like a pig. Enjoy all foods no matter how 'unhealthy' others think they might be. Keep within a calorie range that suits you, get some exercise every now and again and be happy. Oh, and sleep.

Very sensible advice.

I've lost all my weight just by sticking to the MFP calorie recomendation (including eating back my exercise calories). I don't spend hours in the gym, but I do lots of small bits which add up - 20 min workout before breakfast, walk to and from work and at lucnhtime, 25-40 min workout at home before dinner in the week, longer walks at weekends.

If you're going to exercise (which I recomend both for health and to give you some extra calories) you will need carbs. Rather than cut them (unless you have a particular medical condition), weigh them - a 75g pasta portion looks tiny when you weigh it out dry, but it is actually enough if you bulk it out with plenty of veggies, lean protein(or oily fish like salmon, sardines etc.) etc.

If you eat a varied diet including ALL food groups (including healthy fats from nuts etc.) within your calorie goals thew eight will start to come off - set your target for about 1lb a week, invest in a food scale and you'll be pleased with the results.:smile:
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Honestly I see the best results with counting calories while eating a balance of everything. Hit your minimums in protein & fatvand let the rest fall where they may. Less stressful too.

Yeah, I see it less stressful too. You're not limited with foods and in my opinion, you can loose weight at the same pace and be in better mood if you balance the foods and follow a normal healthy diet. It's just simplier.

It's simpler or less stressful in your opinion. For me personally, eating a diet that has more than around 100g of carbs a day really increases my hunger and causes me to crave more higher carb foods. So while I agree that what you suggest may work for *most* people, it isn't always what works best for *all* people. If I am hungry all day and spend my time thinking about food and wanting to eat bread, pasta or even sweet potato (all which cause me to want more food and set off a horrible hunger where I can seriously eat all day) then that kind of diet is not simple or less stressful.

I find nothing complicated or stressful with my keto diet. It's quite the opposite actually, not feeling hungry all the time or constantly craving food is really quite wonderful after spending years miserable on a reduced calorie, reduced fat diet.... trying and failing to lose weight.

I certainly don't believe that everyone should do it, I think the amount of people who actually benefit from a keto diet is quite small. But for some people, it can be extremely beneficial if the regular "just eat healthily and stick to your calories" kind of diet makes life extremely hard work.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options

If you're going to exercise (which I recomend both for health and to give you some extra calories) you will need carbs.

Just to reply to that part of your post, I exercise 5 times a week and eat usually between 15 - 20g of net carbs a day. While your body adjusts you can feel very low on energy, but the myth that you can't exercise if you don't eat plenty of carbs is simply not true.

Maybe I would be able to work out a little longer, lift more weight, work at a higher intensity if I ate more carbs? I don't really know. Maybe I would be able to do more. But I do plenty enough for me and am sure there are people doing lots of exercise on very little carbs so to just say to do exercise you need carbs is not strictly true.
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If you're going to exercise (which I recomend both for health and to give you some extra calories) you will need carbs.

Not really. But if you want to eat them, eat them! Jeez.
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options

by my eleventh day on less than 20 carbs and well into ketosis eating 66% protein, 1800kcal

That's a LOT of protein! Nearly 300g/day. Even if your lean body mass was 100kg (which I'm thinking is generous for most people), it would still be 0.47g nitrogen/kg! There's no way your body can cope with that, maximum protein utilisation sits at around 0.3g nitrogen/kg. Maybe something to think about.

its actually 230g protein 100g fat for a lean mass of 160 and with the weight coming off i ll be reducing it acordingly.

All this talk of keto and low carb seems ill thoughtout as low carb (anywhere up to 100g ) is nothing like below 20g and full ketosis and you wont benefit with increased energy and escape the drained feeling until you get down around 20g, nor will your body give you a high from BHP nor will you lose the weight you could.
  • Tubbytucka
    Tubbytucka Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have been low carb/high fat for nearly 3 months now and I have lost about 15lbs in that time. I have lost some midriff fat but my thigh muscles are bigger now as I cycle a few hours a week. The big change for me is the feeling of fullness, which I never got (or felt hungry again soon after eating) when I ate carbs like bread, rice, pasta and potatoes which means I don't snack.

I eat about 1500 -1600 cals a day and feel fuller than I did on 2500+, I feel full of energy and last week I did a 40mile mtb ride with no need to eat for fuel while riding, because I run on fat for fuel. I have noticed my lactate threshold is a bit lower than when I was eating carbs but I can live with that. (I do eat a bit more if I have done some exercise)

We did not evolve running on carbs for fuel, we evolved catching and eating animals and we didn't really bring the type of carbs mentioned above into our diets until about 10,000 years ago when we started growing grains as a crop. They are easy to store for a year round food supply.

We're all different and the lchf way of eating works for me. It can be a bit tricky in restaurants but I can see myself eating like this for years to come.

Edit to say I aim for 20g carbs or less.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Works for me. Got my 6-pack back by eating reallllllly high-fat, and my bloodwork is much better than it was when I was also very lean but ate a more typical low-fat/high-carb diet. If you look at the science of how insulin works and what raises it and what that does to a body, it's sort of a no-brainer (though I was into the calories in-calories out dogma, thought "low-carbers" were totally crazy, and high fat would kill ya for years...it took an initial jolt of "Wtf??" and then a LOT of research to change my very ingrained thinking, but the numbers don't lie.)

Yup. That's me in a nutshell too. While I don't have a 6-pack 80% of the weight I've been able to lose is due in part to switching over to high fat, low carb.

I was diagnosed with metabolic issues and needed to reduce greatly the amount of carbs I was eating, 1200 cal diet didn't work, 1400 cal didn't work, 1600 cal didn't work. Lifting heavy didn't do much and cardio only made me cranky.

Due to my health, I need to stay with this way of eating. For me, it's almost effortless. I've gone back to eating the way I did as a thin teenager, cooking with butter or ghee, staying away from all grain & eating foods with simple and short ingredients list that I can understand.

Not only has it been the only way I've been able to reduce, but I feel a hundred times better now. I'm having my labwork rechecked in a month or so and looking forward to better numbers for sure.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

I find nothing complicated or stressful with my keto diet. It's quite the opposite actually, not feeling hungry all the time or constantly craving food is really quite wonderful after spending years miserable on a reduced calorie, reduced fat diet.... trying and failing to lose weight.

Amen!! :drinker:
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I have been eating a low carb/moderate protein/high fat diet for over a year. It works for me. I am diabetic and PCOS. It's the only way I can regulate my metabolism. I would suggest that anyone unable to lose weight just by eating lower calories is dealing with a metabolic issue.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    If people are insulin resistant simply counting calories wont always work. I know I needed to seriously avoid sugars (even from fruit) and watch my carbs.
    THIS!

Ketogenic eating is not optional for me - it is VITAL in order to regain my health. I am extremely carb sensitive, since I have severe insulin resistance and PCOS. Counting calories isn't enough for people with metabolic issues like this.

If you don't have a metabolic illness, eating a balanced diet at a caloric deficit to your TDEE should be enough to facilitate weight loss and better health.
  • dancinrascal
    dancinrascal Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input everyone! I noticed that eating more protein/fat keeps my cravings at bay. I think that I am EXTREMELY carb/sugar sensitive. Even a piece of gum is enough to have me craving a whole pack. My diet has always been pretty healthy, and I just want to lose those last 5 pounds. I find that even though I loooveee fruit, it makes me crave sweets. This is why I was considering low carb veg, protein, and fats.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I keep my macros set at 60F/20P/20C and have had good success (both with adherence and results.)

ETA: This is the only way for ME to control my eating. I do this in addition to IF and this keeps me satisfied and literally not thinking about food until I break my fast (sometime between 18-22 hours later.) I eat in about a 4 hour window 5 days a week and an 8 hour window the other two. In my experience ONLY high fat (mod protein) makes this possible, and also easily attained. For me, doing that on typical high carb diet is MURDER.

ETA: Despite my lower carb intake, I have no lack of energy. I do 1-2 easy and 1 hard workout every week day (yes, 2-3 workouts a day) and then one long hike at least once on weekends. All my workouts are fasted. I just finished a heavy lifting 12 week program (Nia Shanks) and progressed until I reached the point I had to change gyms to keep going (I surpassed all their dumbbells.) I now do an intermediate TRX program for my muscle development needs and feel stronger than ever.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I just started a ketogenic style diet and trying to balance at 65%fats 25%protein and 10%carbs. I have lost 6 lbs in one week but I also take a multivitamin and a fiber supplement.

Hate to tell you this but that is not fat loss. That is water weight fluctuations.

Lower carb is a good idea for insulin resistant people. Keto is not a requirement.

And going into ketosis forces your body to uses fat as fuel. This does not necessarily mean it is from stored fat seeing as how your dietary fat intake is increased. As well as this, you need to take into account exercise performance. Any sort of anaerobic actitvity will primarly use glycogen for energy. Try going a week on low carbs and then do a low rep, heavy weight workout. Then do the same thing but refeed the day before with high carbs/low fat and see what the difference in performance is.

by my eleventh day on less than 20 carbs and well into ketosis eating 66% protein 33% fat and 1800 cals i had the energy of a bull and was able to train to the limit ... Re fed on sunday ( 3000 cals, 400 carbs ) and my workout monday was in a much lesser league , so i d have to strongly disagree based on personal experience.
    Cant wait to be back in full ketosis as i love the feeling of wellbeing, the warm muscles and the dramatic weight loss and cant for the life of me see anything but disadvantage to using a normal restrictive diet and counting calories on everything everyday and feeling hungry as its a sure fire way to "go off the rails" .

I seem particularly suseptable to the "beta- hydroxybutyrate" ( BHP) which is probably why i so enjoy the keto diet and i d suggest anyone doing keto and in full ketosis (sub 20 carbs) that is not benefitting as should be is eating the wrong type of fats or have their macros out.

what was your "workout"
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I just started a ketogenic style diet and trying to balance at 65%fats 25%protein and 10%carbs. I have lost 6 lbs in one week but I also take a multivitamin and a fiber supplement.

Hate to tell you this but that is not fat loss. That is water weight fluctuations.

Lower carb is a good idea for insulin resistant people. Keto is not a requirement.

And going into ketosis forces your body to uses fat as fuel. This does not necessarily mean it is from stored fat seeing as how your dietary fat intake is increased. As well as this, you need to take into account exercise performance. Any sort of anaerobic actitvity will primarly use glycogen for energy. Try going a week on low carbs and then do a low rep, heavy weight workout. Then do the same thing but refeed the day before with high carbs/low fat and see what the difference in performance is.

by my eleventh day on less than 20 carbs and well into ketosis eating 66% protein 33% fat and 1800 cals i had the energy of a bull and was able to train to the limit ... Re fed on sunday ( 3000 cals, 400 carbs ) and my workout monday was in a much lesser league , so i d have to strongly disagree based on personal experience.
    Cant wait to be back in full ketosis as i love the feeling of wellbeing, the warm muscles and the dramatic weight loss and cant for the life of me see anything but disadvantage to using a normal restrictive diet and counting calories on everything everyday and feeling hungry as its a sure fire way to "go off the rails" .

I seem particularly suseptable to the "beta- hydroxybutyrate" ( BHP) which is probably why i so enjoy the keto diet and i d suggest anyone doing keto and in full ketosis (sub 20 carbs) that is not benefitting as should be is eating the wrong type of fats or have their macros out.

what was your "workout"

seconded.

Also agree with PU. A balanced calorie deficit diet is restrictive but one that cuts out an entire macronutrient isn't? WTF?