Success stories by upping calories PLEAS

Options

Replies

• EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I lost weight on 1200, but I also lose weight on 1450... so go figure.

I could probably lose on more, but since this feels like a decent amount of food and the weight is coming off at a nice pace I don't want to up my calories right now.
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I started on 1400 calories and within 3 weeks hit a plateau. I upped to 1900-2400 (depending on activity level) and since then have lost at least 1 lb a week. I haven't done any photo's yet but I will tell you I feel so much more satisfied and motivated. As a previous yo-yo dieter/binger I would highly recommend it.
  • Lovinglish
    Lovinglish Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    No pics but I have a story. I've noticed that I lose more on weeks Ive eaten more than my recommended cal intake. However ive noticed I cant do it consecutively. So for a few weeks I eat right then I slip a few days in there when I don't be to strict on cals One bi weekly weigh in I realized I lost 6 pounds. A weight loss journey is truthfully going to have to be tailored to you. Gotta find out what works and what doesn't. Best of wishes
  • FitChimi
    FitChimi Posts: 41
    Options
    Bump
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to upload photos on here, but I eat around 1600-1900 cals a day.

I've lost pretty steadily and I haven't had to "kill myself" doing it. I do try to eat as much UNPROCESSED foods as possible and I've seen a huge change. I don't even have to workout as much.

Think about it, if you are eating awesome and not losing, ppl say its because you are too sedentary.
    If you are super active and not losing, ppl say its because your eating crap food.

ALL NOT TRUE!!

I truly feel like its WHAT you eat that makes the difference!!! EAT! Just pick the right foods. I eat tons of fruit and veggies, and make sure I get enough cals.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to point out the ravens suck!! I'm a Steelers fan :(

^^^^ Agreed
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Don't have new pictures since consistently upping my calories but I'll share my experience. Despite being on this site for two years and losing a good amount of weight eating low calories, I recently got really serious about my calories because I was losing and gaining the same 4 pounds for about 2 months. i was getting so frustrated that i started cutting calories to 1400 or below (without logging so it may have been slightly more or less then that). and all this time i haven't been paying attention to net calories. the calorie limit on my diary right is 1650 but I've been netting between 1800-2200 most days for the past two weeks and I'm so much happier doing that. I've dropped those pesky 4 pounds again and I'm hoping they're gone for good. i weigh myself every day for right now just to see what's going on but i have been getting comments this past week on how i look like I've dropped more weight and that is usually a very good sign lol. i can't ever go back to eating less then 1600 every day I would be miserable.

ETA: im five pounds away from the goal i set two years ago. My new goal is to lose an additional 15-20 pounds while still maintaining lean body mass and really cut my body fat %. i cant do that eating low calories :smile: :drinker:
  • snowmanluv
    snowmanluv Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this. I've been wondering the same thing. I started out in the 990-1200 range total calories then subtract out exercise (3x). After reading the MFP and figuring out my TDEE (scooby workout) I upped it to 1350-1450. Well I gained 1 pound that week with exercising (6x cardio and 4x weight light lots of reps). Next week gained another 1.5 (took it down to 1200-1300 range). I believe that your calories shouldn't below. I don't know if it's an age thing. If it's related to to restricted calories forever and resetting them. I tried and gained now discouraged. To top it off everybody 40plus group goes to me I can't lose weight unless I'm 800 or 1000. They did it with success while I'm gaining weight. I am short so gaining 2.5 pound in a 2 weeks is a big deal because project that out by a couple of months. I would be enormous. Plus with the thyroid issues I am always leary of gaining too much too soon.
  • d3gus
    d3gus Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this. I've been wondering the same thing. I started out in the 990-1200 range total calories then subtract out exercise (3x). After reading the MFP and figuring out my TDEE (scooby workout) I upped it to 1350-1450. Well I gained 1 pound that week with exercising (6x cardio and 4x weight light lots of reps). Next week gained another 1.5 (took it down to 1200-1300 range). I believe that your calories shouldn't below. I don't know if it's an age thing. If it's related to to restricted calories forever and resetting them. I tried and gained now discouraged. To top it off everybody 40plus group goes to me I can't lose weight unless I'm 800 or 1000. They did it with success while I'm gaining weight. I am short so gaining 2.5 pound in a 2 weeks is a big deal because project that out by a couple of months. I would be enormous. Plus with the thyroid issues I am always leary of gaining too much too soon.

I started back in January needing to lose 90lb. I joined MFP in February and like many others let MFP set my food goal whch was 1200. I managed to lose 26lb then stalled for about a month then went on a cruise here let's just say i enjoyed the all inclusive food and drink. When i got back i weighed myself and had put on 3lb. I read the road map and upped my calories, first to 1400 for a week then 1600. I have lost the 3lb i put on plus another 3lb in just 2 weeks ( total 29lb ). I am trying to make sure that i always eat over my BMR, but do struggle to eat that much. I will keep on this for another month to see where i go with it - but it does seem to be working at the moment and i never feel hungry.!!
  • d3gus
    d3gus Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention I have Hashimoto's disease ( thyroid ) so weight loss is a continual struggle - i am currently taking armour which is the only thing that keeps me sane!
  • Mztae78
    Mztae78 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I was at a plateau for a few months eating 1450 per day, I upped to 1850 and now I am losing weight again. I do not eat back my exercise calories PLUS I dont feel like im starving to death
  • tjphelps73
    tjphelps73 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Yes, changing your calories will help. I just increased mine two weeks ago from 1300 to 1600 and lost four pounds over the last two weeks. I have added heavy lifting and noticed I was always hungry..duh...muscle burns more and I was starving my muscles. I am usually not that slow but I am just startling the Heavy lift.

Also - I started MFP at 1800 calories...dropped to 1500 and then dropped to 1200 and normally ate back all my exercise calories. I still have 60lbs to drop but I have noticed after the first 120lbs loss the pounds are coming off slower now.
  • StacieHof
    StacieHof Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    UPPING CALORIES HAS GOTTEN ME OVER 2 PLATEAUS!
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    bump
  • quinnwinn
    quinnwinn Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump
  • coffee4me57
    coffee4me57 Posts: 195
    Options
    bump-read later
  • Cedarwren
    Cedarwren Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    bump
  • yaybazinga
    yaybazinga Posts: 54
    Options
    thanks everyone for sharing your stories, it's giving me hope :D I'm upping my calories right now according to TDEE -20% as I've been loosing slowly (1 lb per week would be an excellent rare week for me), hoping for some good results :)
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I've hit plateaus twice now already (started 6 weeks ago) where I didn't lose or gained over a period of a week even though I was doing all the same things. Both times, I tried a "cheat day" where I ate to gain for one day and then went back to eating to lose. Both times, after a slight initial gain, my weight quickly dropped off. There is one caveat, and that is that if you are really obese and insulin resistant, that won't work for you, but for normal people, cheat days can work really well as plateau busters. I have not tried eating more every day, and wouldn't unless I was increasing activity commensurately. Hope this helps -:

what do you eat on cheat days?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!