home or gym?

Options
2»

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    OK Rado - that was a bit harsh. If I went to a gym, I would have to spend time travelling there, getting changed, getting into the zone, then being slowed down by other gym users using the bit of kit I need for my next exercise or chatting over it, then shower, change and travel home, eat a meal, by which time I don't have time or inclination to perform a 75 minute yoga session which is the highlight of each day - for me.

Working out at home, I cycle straight home and straight into my strength routine while I am still warmed up and in my sweats anyway, then shower and meal and that leaves me a couple of hours resting, potting up plants, chilling out etc before meeting myself on the yoga mat to finish off a perfect evening.

Nothing to do with "upping my game". I think you'll find a lot of people who train at home are just as focussed, if not more so, as those who choose to attend a gym.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I prefer home. I have all my own equipment, I don't have to worry with pervy men staring at me everytime I'm on a spin bike or doing squats, checking out my *kitten*... I don't have to wait on people to use equipment, and I'm a germaphobic, so I don't have to worry with other peoples sweaty bodies every time I use equipment.
  • carlogs619
    carlogs619 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Gym is better for me. No distractions and it is my time, just me and my workout, no phone, emails, or kids.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Gym. There are no distractions once I get there. I just get on with the plan. If I was to workout at home then I would just find excuses.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The question is not what you prefer,the question is whats your goal and ambitions..sorry apologise but totally pointless thread..the answers should be clear even to the beginners.
    Edit: Okey that was maybe a little harsh sorry..my point is guys I quickly went through the posts and Im shocked how many of you say things like if you sign up in the gym its most likely you not gonna be consistent.so why are you even on this forums?You have to realise guys that if you want to achieve you have to step up the game.whatever your goals is,this internet forums and chatting to each other is not the real thing,its not what will make your achievements happen.Its you only that can make it happen..home workout is good,but not good enough..the benefits of the gym are that you will become part of it in some time,you will go there make friends ever little step towards your goal will become more and more rewarding,the more friends you make the more motivation you will get.from a beginner you bill become well recognised member and feel really welcomed and happy..thats the reaction to the ladies worrying about looking silly while working out...if a dude stares at you,it means he likes what he see and take it as a compliment :) everybody have to start from somewhere and if a skinny guy is afraid to join a gym becuase he is skinny then he failed already and will never make it where he wanted.

I disagree. The gym and the social part of the gym may work for you but that won't appeal to everyone. Everyone needs to find what will work for them so that they'll work out consistently. THAT is what is important. I commend those who have said they know the gym won't work for them because it's to easy to make excuses. Working out at home can absolutely be enough! There are tons of different programs, DVDs, etc that you can utilize. Stop being an exercise snob...

ETA: Both work for me. I go to the gym at my office Mon-Fri, although sometimes that gym time is spent walking or running outdoors. I've got a few workout DVDs at home to use if it's nasty out as well as some printouts of workout ideas to refer to. My favorite is being outside though - fresh air and lovely views!
  • Rado_SVK
    Rado_SVK Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    The question is not what you prefer,the question is whats your goal and ambitions..sorry apologise but totally pointless thread..the answers should be clear even to the beginners.
    Edit: Okey that was maybe a little harsh sorry..my point is guys I quickly went through the posts and Im shocked how many of you say things like if you sign up in the gym its most likely you not gonna be consistent.so why are you even on this forums?You have to realise guys that if you want to achieve you have to step up the game.whatever your goals is,this internet forums and chatting to each other is not the real thing,its not what will make your achievements happen.Its you only that can make it happen..home workout is good,but not good enough..the benefits of the gym are that you will become part of it in some time,you will go there make friends ever little step towards your goal will become more and more rewarding,the more friends you make the more motivation you will get.from a beginner you bill become well recognised member and feel really welcomed and happy..thats the reaction to the ladies worrying about looking silly while working out...if a dude stares at you,it means he likes what he see and take it as a compliment :) everybody have to start from somewhere and if a skinny guy is afraid to join a gym becuase he is skinny then he failed already and will never make it where he wanted.

I disagree. The gym and the social part of the gym may work for you but that won't appeal to everyone. Everyone needs to find what will work for them so that they'll work out consistently. THAT is what is important. I commend those who have said they know the gym won't work for them because it's to easy to make excuses. Working out at home can absolutely be enough! There are tons of different programs, DVDs, etc that you can utilize. Stop being an exercise snob...

ETA: Both work for me. I go to the gym at my office Mon-Fri, although sometimes that gym time is spent walking or running outdoors. I've got a few workout DVDs at home to use if it's nasty out as well as some printouts of workout ideas to refer to. My favorite is being outside though - fresh air and lovely views!
    Dont call me an exercise snob lady,alright?...lets say your goal is similar to mine...try to achieve what I have so far with hopping in front of your TV while your silly workout DVD's play...and Im not even trying to show off....so if that would be your goal and Im sure there is plenty ppl around with one like that,then NO,home workout is not enough at all,unless like one of the guys here,you have all the equipment.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

Dont call me an exercise snob lady,alright?...lets say your goal is similar to mine...try to achieve what I have so far with hopping in front of your TV while your silly workout DVD's play...and Im not even trying to show off....so if that would be your goal and Im sure there is plenty ppl around with one like that,then NO,home workout is not enough at all,unless like one of the guys here,you have all the equipment.

WOW this is the fifth online argument between a man and woman I have founf in the last three minutes.....what is with MFP today?? Why is everyone so cranky.........?
  • Rado_SVK
    Options

WOW this is the fifth online argument between a man and woman I have founf in the last three minutes.....what is with MFP today?? Why is everyone so cranky.........?
    It wasnt an argument :) I tell you what is the problem with MFP,there is wayyyyyyy to many ppl on here thinking MFP is like Facebook and actually not doing anything much just chatting all days and forgetting what it supposed to be for in first place.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

I think your flawed assumption is that everyone that is working out at home is popping dvd's into a player-which is just fine by me. I don't own an exercise DVD, and I'm not even sure how to play a DVD on our theater setup. My workout at home consists of running and lifting barbells with heavy weights on them. The most important part of any exercise program is compliance. Doing this at home makes that possible for me. Sticking with it is what helps me reach my goals. My goals are to run better (faster/longer) and be less lardish. Can I not achieve those working out at home with running & lifting?
  • Rado_SVK
    Options
    My goals are to run better (faster/longer) and be less lardish. Can I not achieve those working out at home with running & lifting?
    Sure its enough for your goals...the reason why I even started the discussion with that lady above me,because I have clearly explained what is the difference in home workout and gym workout when it comes to specific goals.but in her reply she still insisted that home workout is absolutely enough...while it really is not when your goals require more..plus she called me an exercise snob :smile: to sum it up,she generalised the answer,which is the wrong approach.