What do you think about your job watching your FB comments?

Options

Replies

• MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    How did this turn into about the police? lol

I just found out that no one was slandering the company, but someone was offended by something one of our employees said and went to tell our job about the horrible person we have working here.
  • labeachgirl
    labeachgirl Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Easy fix here...

1. Don't check Facebook at work
    2. Don't friend people from work.
    3. Don't have an open timeline
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Instead of venting on facebook, vent to real people. I'm friends with a lot of my co-workers-- my boss included. I work at a university so a lot of these people were friends while I was in undergrad. I just don't say anything except good things about work on FB and when I need to vent about the ****ty things, I talk to my husband or friends. It's not hard. When you decide to leave your job, you can bet your next employer will look at your social media as well. Before graduation, everyone was scrambling to delete photos and posts that may put us in a negative light for future employers. It's just how being a grown up works.
  • Gurlyknockout
    Gurlyknockout Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

Yup.

To those people who say it's "not fair", "Crap", or to "find other employment" how would YOU feel as a business owner if an employee who had a bad day/was unhappy with their job/didn't like their boss whatever posted trash on the internet about the company they work for? I'd be pretty upset if it was me. When I worked for a big company did I have bad days and post it? Yes I did and only those people who knew me knew what I was talking about and where I was coming from. Not once did I ever -- nor would I ever now -- say or post anything disparaging about the company. Did I disagree with a lot of the things that went on? Absolutely but as a whole the company is good and I was treated very well there.

It's the internet and you have to realize that what you post -- regardless if it's under an assumed name, or if you do or don't post where you work etc -- the company (and others) can find out who posted things so if you are that concerned then 1) Delete your FB account 2) Don't trash talk your company or 3) If you had a bad day just say "Having a real bad day" and leave it at that.

^^Yup^^ whenever you list your employer you are seen as a representative of that company; anything you say and do is a reflection of that company. This is common in almost every company now a days and it should be! If you owned a large successful company you would not what the general public or media to get a negative reflection of that company just because Suzie Q have a rough day.

You need to view your employer as your 2nd family. As there are issues with in your family and yes many seem dysfunctional but you keep that between you and your family (HR, manager). Don’t air your dirty laundry for all to see, it will always back fire and make you look ungrateful of having a job to those who are unable to get employed.

Solution: Never list your employer. If you are self-employed have a business page for that purpose only. Never talk smack about the hand that feeds you!
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    How did this turn into about the police? lol

I just found out that no one was slandering the company, but someone was offended by something one of our employees said and went to tell our job about the horrible person we have working here.

I was using the analogy in reference to our 'rights'. I also mentioned landlords :P. Employers can do whatever they want. It does suck though. Gotta be preventative and lock up your fb or just stay off of it. What jerkbags.
  • LibertyBelle89
    Options
    this is why i deleted my facebook.

CATCH ME NOW, SUCKAS!! :P

^^ lol.... bout to the point of just deleting mine anyways..
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Once I have enough credits to teach as a substitute I'm deleting my facebook and starting over. When I start looking for a full time position I want an established facebook page full of responsible adult kinds of things and not dumb ****ery.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    They're making the employees sign the waiver so they have just cause to fire anyone who slanders the company. The internet is a public space, and sure everyone is entitled to opinions.

Bottom line, if you don't want people in your company to see what you're posting, don't friend any coworkers or like the company page.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    What I want to know is why you would have ANYONE you work with on your FB friends list. Bad idea. Have never. Would never.
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Yep. Most (and by most I mean ALL in my experience) co-workers can't be trusted.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    People aruge so much about the seperation of church and state. Seems it is harder to keep companies out of our personal lives than to keep the governement out of our religious affairs.

Capitalism's caveat emptor-esque ugly head.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    You either don't have your employer, fellow employees as a facebook friends or put them in a separate list we're they can't see or read too much. Facebook has numerous options and settings to make sure that only certain people can read or see certain things. SO many people don't use these tools.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Just don't list your employer on Facebook... Problem solved.

^^^ This dont ever list your work or talk about your work online. Dont even mention you had a crappy day at work.

You may think it's private, but if it is online it is not private. Simple changes or the right knowledge and someone can access all of your information.

Such a common misconception. On facebook and most social networks, you can control who see's what. I'm in the IT field. People google my name and the only info. or pics they see is the info or pics I want out there.
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with anyone at my job seeing my FB comments or any other comment I make online.
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    What I want to know is why you would have ANYONE you work with on your FB friends list. Bad idea. Have never. Would never.

Depends where you work. Depends on what you like to discuss online.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Just assume that everything you post can be ready by everyone in your life, because it can.

Welcome to the internet!
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    The more you reveal of yourself in social media, the more you empower people to make judgments about you based on that limited, but potentially damning, picture you paint of yourself.

This is precisely why most of my FB posts revolve around the activities of my cats. Cats are largely drama-free. :laugh:
  • MissTattoo
    Options

Some of my work friends have been friends before they became work friends.
  • MissTattoo
    Options
    Just don't list your employer on Facebook... Problem solved.

^^^ This dont ever list your work or talk about your work online. Dont even mention you had a crappy day at work.

You may think it's private, but if it is online it is not private. Simple changes or the right knowledge and someone can access all of your information.

Such a common misconception. On facebook and most social networks, you can control who see's what. I'm in the IT field. People google my name and the only info. or pics they see is the info or pics I want out there.

But if you post on a page you "like", that is public. Right?
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

Depends where you work. Depends on what you like to discuss online.

This. I have a lot of work friends. But the only things I do on FB is post pictures of my dog and random YouTube videos of 80s songs. I don't talk about getting drunk or trash my job. I don't talk about my work or anything I would be embaressed my work would know ever. Worst thing that might happen is they think I am a little obsessed with my pup.. but he is so cute it is understandable.